• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Olympus TCON 300 Telephoto lens for E20 (1 Viewer)

RoyH

Hi all, has anyone tested the TCON 300 there are close out deals to be had on this most expensive optional extra for the E20. I am tempted to buy but I would be most greatful for any feed back about this telephoto lens. I have emailed Olympus for further info but they have not replied yet.

Thank you,

Roy.

Hi, I used the Tcon 300 with a E10. My feeling then was it wasn't worth the money, but at the prices on offer now. Maybe it is. It's a little cumbersome to use and you will need the cable release and a good tripod to achieve good results. I also found the final image to be a little soft. You may get better results with the E20 though.

Olympus Tcon 300

Medlock44 said:
Hi, I used the Tcon 300 with a E10. My feeling then was it wasn't worth the money, but at the prices on offer now. Maybe it is. It's a little cumbersome to use and you will need the cable release and a good tripod to achieve good results. I also found the final image to be a little soft. You may get better results with the E20 though.

Hello Mike,
Most kind of you to reply. I expected it being cumbersome to use and I would not even considered the retail price. I see they are on offer for £200 but your comments has made me think twice. Can you reduce the focal length without producing vignetting ?. When using this attachment does it disable the auto focus ?. These were the questions I asked Olympus but they have not replied so I guess it looks like its going to be their loss. I have also heard about the soft results. Do you have any sample images taken with this lens, how does the 300 compare to the Tcon 14b if you have that lens attachment. My E20 came with the wide angle plus 2x converter as a kit. Very pleased with the camera.

Thank you

Roy.

RoyH said:
Hello Mike,
Most kind of you to reply. I expected it being cumbersome to use and I would not even considered the retail price. I see they are on offer for £200 but your comments has made me think twice. Can you reduce the focal length without producing vignetting ?. When using this attachment does it disable the auto focus ?. These were the questions I asked Olympus but they have not replied so I guess it looks like its going to be their loss. I have also heard about the soft results. Do you have any sample images taken with this lens, how does the 300 compare to the Tcon 14b if you have that lens attachment. My E20 came with the wide angle plus 2x converter as a kit. Very pleased with the camera.

Thank you

Roy.

You have to use the it at full zoom on main lens (to avoid vinetting) then rough focus with maual focus ring on the Tcon 300 then autofocus works. The stronger the light the better it works. Not as good as the 14b. Autofocus is slower and image is softer. I moved over to the Canon D60 a year or so ago. so dont have any photos to hand, but will have a dig through some old stuff and see if I can find anything.

Medlock44 said:
You have to use the it at full zoom on main lens (to avoid vinetting) then rough focus with maual focus ring on the Tcon 300 then autofocus works. The stronger the light the better it works. Not as good as the 14b. Autofocus is slower and image is softer. I moved over to the Canon D60 a year or so ago. so dont have any photos to hand, but will have a dig through some old stuff and see if I can find anything.

Thanks again Mike for this feed back, after studying this I have decided not to bother no need for you to go in search of a sample photo for me.

Many thanks again for your help I guess you have saved me a few quid. I cannot justify going down the same road as you although I would like to. I will still continue to enjoy the E20 but it looks like giving the long distance a miss. I will continue with the digiscoping which have produced good results, pity we cannot get faster shutters speeds using this method.

Roy.

Last edited:
RoyH said:
Thanks again Mike for this feed back, after studying this I have decided not to bother no need for you to go in search of a sample photo for me.

Many thanks again for your help I guess you have saved me a few quid. I cannot justify going down the same road as you although I would like to. I will still continue to enjoy the E20 but it looks like giving the long distance a miss and stick with the digiscoping which unfortunately lacks fast shutter speeds.

Roy.

Your welcome Roy, glad I could help. I enjoyed the the E10 very much and think that the E10/20 is among the best of the fixed lens DSLR's

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back