• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Best Scope for Digiscoping under $500 (1 Viewer)

KatieJ

I there, I hope this is the appropriate place to ask this question. I'm looking to buy my first spotting scope, and I'd like to get one I can digiscope with. So my question is, is there a good quality scope you can recommend for under $500 dollars? I've heard good things about the Alpen 20-60x80. I'm also interested in what additional items I'll have to buy in order to use the scope with a camera.

Thanks for helping out such a noob!

First off...welcome. Always good to see new folks.......

For under $500, the Alpen really is a great scope. I think others that might interest you along that same price would be the Skyline made by Vortex and there is a Vixen out there as well but a bit more.

The issue will be the adapter...you need to find one that will fit your scope. Pricier models of scopes such as Swaro or Kowa, Zeuss etc...have adapters made just for their scopes.

Quality of pictures. Honestly...don't expect image sharpness with a $500 scope, it isn't going to happen. If you are just starting into Photography, you won't know the difference but if you are anal like the majority of us are here and start to poke around with what others do or shoot, you will begin to wonder why you are not getting great shots. You simply get what you pay for. Again, if you are into this just for the fun and for solid bird ID's, get close up shots, look thru the scope and bird behavior etc...you will do just fine with an Alpen.

Thank you very much for your response. I'll look into those other scopes. However, I'm already pretty anal about image quality in my photographs, so maybe I'll see if I can't find a little more cash for a higher end scope.

Hi Katie,

Your choice of scope for use as a digiscoping lens should take the lions share of your budget. I highly recommend getting the largest aperture scope with ED glass lens for the brightest/sharpest possible images.

This Celestron Ultima 80ED for $350 seems like a good deal. Use the Bing Search Cash Back and you can find it for under $300 too. With a Lifetime No Fault warranty by a global brandname you will hard pressed to do better for the price. If you already have a dSLR I believe all you will need then is a standard T-ring to match your camera brand. If you just want to connect a typical pocket digicam, then a universal adapter like this one is a good starter.

Digiscoping also requires a good mount/tripod as the second most important piece of kit. Sunpak makes some decent kits with fluid panheads for under $100 that will still keep you within budget.

good luck,
Rick

Last edited:
Katie,

Check out Eagle Optics (eagleoptics.com) and talk to the folks there. I looked at their Vortex scopes and was really impressed by the image brightness, sharpness, and lack of chromatic aberration in scopes in the $400-600 range.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back