• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wings help please (1 Viewer)

Andrew-Bede

I am using Wings and am wondering if there is a way to add a species to a checklist that does not appear in the database? I would like to add sightings of three species: Black Brant Goose, Pale-Bellied Brent Goose and Richardsons Canada Goose. Any way I can do it?

Cheers,
Andrew-Bede

Andrew
U don't know the answer myself but according to the documentation with the programme the author welcomes e-mails and suggestions for improvements so why not ask him direct? Given that the programme is in fact a relational database application it should be very straightforward to add the facility if it doesn't already exist.

Regards

John Fleet

John Fleet said:
Andrew
U don't know the answer myself but according to the documentation with the programme the author welcomes e-mails and suggestions for improvements so why not ask him direct? Given that the programme is in fact a relational database application it should be very straightforward to add the facility if it doesn't already exist.

Regards

John Fleet

Thanks for the suggestion John; I have emailed with the query and will post here when I get a reply.
Regards,
Andrew-Bede B :)

There is a chapter on taxonomy in the manual but to change a name:

1. Open the taxonomic table containing the data you wish to change. For example, if you wish to change the name of a species from Green-backed Heronto Green Heron, open the [Species] table. 2. Select the record you wish to change. Continuing with our example, you could select by hand or use QuickFind to locate the record for Green-backed Heron. 3. Open the record in its input form. 4. Tab to the field you wish to change. 5. Make the change. 6. Click the Acceptbutton to save the changes you have made. Changing names is simple. Navigate to the record, tab to the field you want to change and enter the change. BE sure to click the Accept button to save the change.

Not sure if that answers your question but there is a lot more besides. The manual should be sitting in the folder that was created after Stuffit decompressed your download.

I have only just downloaded the software myself. Am starting to come to terms with it, have made a couple of false starts so am paying close attention to the instructions rather than just guessing. I'm very impressed with the look of the software though.

I'd be interested to know how you get on as it is something that I am considering doing before I start to create records.

Ken

kbird said:
I'd be interested to know how you get on as it is something that I am considering doing before I start to create records.

Ken

Hi Ken,

Followed your instructions and it has worked well—great thanks. Two slight problems that really don’t make much difference to me: (a) you, of course, lose the original record that you have changed. But if you chose a bird you are never likely to see that is not a problem! (b) It doesn’t look as though you can change the Code for the record you have changed, again not really a major problem.
Thanks again for the advice.
Andrew-Bede

Andrew-Bede said:
I am using Wings and am wondering if there is a way to add a species to a checklist that does not appear in the database? I would like to add sightings of three species: Black Brant Goose, Pale-Bellied Brent Goose and Richardsons Canada Goose. Any way I can do it?

Cheers,
Andrew-Bede

You can add a species in the species table, but you need to give it a code and a numeric taxonomic position. Since what you seem to want is to enter sub-species information, why not do it as a comment, i.e. enter as Canada Goose, and put Richardsons on the comment tag. Comments are searchable.

Alternatively, you could use the attributes system. Steven will doubtless have helpful advice for you.

Alan

Adding sub-species to Wings

Hi all,
I have just heard from Steven with instructions how to add a sub-species to the tables. Not had time to do it yet but this is his instructions. All credit to him for his support to Wings, I really find it a great program. Hope this is helpful to people. Andrew-Bede:-

To add a species to the [Species] table:
1. Determine if the genus containing the species is present. If it is not present add the genus (much as you would add a species). In our case the genus Branta is present.
2. Open the [Species] table.
3. Find the species that taxonomically precedes the species that you wish to add. We do this to ensure that sorting taxonomically will work later on. Write down the Taxonomic Position for this species. Let's suppose that you want Brant Goose to precede Black Brant Goose and that Brant's taxonomic position is 10 400. (The taxonomic position you have may be different depending on which iteration of SM you have.)
4. Click the Add button for teh [Species] table. Enter Black Brant Goose for the Common Name. Press Tab. Enter bernicla nigricans for the scientific name. Press Tab. Enter a code for the species, perhaps BLBRGOOS. Press Tab. Add 10 to the taxonomic position of the preceding species and enter that as the taxonomic position for Black Brant Goose. In my example, we'd use 10 410 as the taxonomic position. Press Tab. Press Tab again to take us to the scientific name for the Genus and enter Branta. Press tab. The rest should fill in. Press the Enter key to save the record.

To add a species to a checklist:
1. Open the [Checklist] table.
2. Open the checklist you want to modify.
3. Click on the Species tab.
4. Click on the Add Species button.
5. Select the species you want to add and click OK.
6. Save the checklist record.

Good response

That was a good response. It is encouraging to know that there is good backup if there is a problem that the manual doesn't answer.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back