• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wimberley Gimbal (1 Viewer)

doozer

Can anyone tell me if the wimberley gimbal "Wimberley Head - Version II™" will fit all tripods or is there a specific leg system required.I have written and asked B and H and after a few days they have come back asking what lens I have. Why this makes a difference apart from for the plate I don't know? Anyway I have a Canon D50 and have just purchased the 500 f4 so was looking for a better tripod system.My present tripod is a slik pro 580DX
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/507993-REG/Slik_615_580_Pro_580DX_Tripod_with.html
I believe weight wiseitcan handle the job or will the gimbal put it over?

any advise would be appreciated

I have also seen a few posts online about the indian cheaper equivalent but can no longer find them for sale , any ideas ?

It should fit on to any tripod (I've seen them on Gitzo, Manfrotto, Slik, Velbon and numerous other legs) - if the screw on the tripod is the smaller size you'll need and adapter thread (they cost ~£1 over here).

To be fair, they do work better (IMHO) on tripods that don't have a centre column as it offers the best possible base.
Not sure I'd be keen on mounting a Mk2 and a 500 on a 1/4 inch adapter, I would def try to stick to a 3/8 connection

I would tend to agree with Steve re the center column & 3/8 screw. As for the legs, i read somewhere that they are suitable for lenses up to 300mm f2.8. May be ok for the short term untill you can upgrade to a heavier duty set.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back