• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ball head and centre column question (1 Viewer)

mansy_d

Manish
Hello

I am looking for a simple macro and landscape photography head. I have a 50D and a Canon 17-55 and a Sigma 90mm macro lens.
I am hoping to have a small form-factor ball head - any suggestions?
If the head has markings for stitched panaromas that will be helpful.

I have the manfrotto 055cxpro3 tripod.

One other question about this tripod, is there anyway I can reduce the centre column on this tripod - I know I can quickly make it horizontal but to begin with, if I had a shorter column - I could well live with it. For portrial shots, I could then move the camera to portriat by moving it on the ball head as most ball heads have a notch on the side to move it to that position.

PS: I also have the indian gimbal head but I cant see that working for macros/panaromas. Does anyone have any experience on the contrary?

Thanks
Manish

Hello

I am looking for a simple macro and landscape photography head. I have a 50D and a Canon 17-55 and a Sigma 90mm macro lens.
I am hoping to have a small form-factor ball head - any suggestions?
If the head has markings for stitched panaromas that will be helpful.

I have the manfrotto 055cxpro3 tripod.

One other question about this tripod, is there anyway I can reduce the centre column on this tripod - I know I can quickly make it horizontal but to begin with, if I had a shorter column - I could well live with it. For portrial shots, I could then move the camera to portriat by moving it on the ball head as most ball heads have a notch on the side to move it to that position.

PS: I also have the indian gimbal head but I cant see that working for macros/panaromas. Does anyone have any experience on the contrary?

Thanks
Manish

Hi

Manfrotto do a short centre column, might be just what you're looking for.

See here.
http://www.warehouseexpress.com/buy-manfrotto-055xccsb-short-centre-column-black/p10998

nirofo.

I have the Giotto MH-1002 ballhead and love it. http://www.amazon.com/Giotto-MH-1002-Compact-Independent-Panning/dp/B0000BZLK7

I don't have any heavy lenses (my heaviest is my Sigma 105mm macro lens) so this works fine for me. I believe this ballhead is rated for 6.6 pounds, and my camera plus my macro lens is ~2.25 pounds.

For the tripod issue, someone makes an attachment for the manfrotto tripods that replaces the center column with something that has no real height. It's just a plastic piece about 3 inches tall that inserts where the center column goes and has a screw on it for attaching the ballhead.

I'll look at mine tonight and see if it has manufacturer/model info on it. If so, I'll post that here tomorrow.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back