• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Opticron ES 80 GA ED scope and digital SLR (1 Viewer)

rin

:hi:

I have just received my Opticron ES 80 GA ED scope, HDF 20-60x eye piece and digital SLR telephoto adapter kit.

I was surprised when the kit arrived as I expected to use the eyepiece when taking pictures. Used it yesterday for the first time and I had some pics out of focus but my biggest problem was the brightness. All of my pictures were way to bright..........I had to reduce the level of brightness on the pc this morning by -48.

I tried using manual mode but didn't know what level to set the aperture etc at. Any suggestions. I then went back to the sports mode in order to catch the birds..........having to reduce brightness is a small price to pay for a close image but I would prefer to not have to do this.

Henry B, could you give me tips at the Strathspey bash? Get writing notes for me..........as many as you like but don't make them too complicated. I am a mere woman so nothing too technical or it will all go back in the box and go under the bed !! :eek!:

Any advice greatfully appreciated.

Rin x

:h?:

Last edited:
Hi Rin, what eyepiece and camera are you using ?As far as the bash is concerned ,I,m afraid I,ve only been twice for short visits. Any of the notes on BF will be more helpful than I could give you.Hope to see you and the rest of the bunch soon. regards ..h

Hi I have same scope and lens with a Nikon D50 I can only use it in manual mode! Bit of a pain not got the best setup yet!!!

Hi,

I've got a Coolpix 4500 (ES80 scope...) and use manual exposure. In order to attempt to maximise light, I've got the aperture set wide open, and manually set the shutter speed. On this camera, you get an exposure preview and also a momentary review of the pic, you can see if the exposure is looking more or less right.

Good luck... Ruby

postcardcv said:
what camera are you using?

Canon EOS 300D. Typical, I just sold my compact camera at xmas thinking that I wouldn't use it again as I also have a fuji S602 zoom.

I hope that this camera is suitable for scope.

Thanks

Henry B said:
Hi Rin, what eyepiece and camera are you using ?As far as the bash is concerned ,I,m afraid I,ve only been twice for short visits. Any of the notes on BF will be more helpful than I could give you.Hope to see you and the rest of the bunch soon. regards ..h

I don't use the eye piece with my digital slr, you remove it and attach a telephoto adaptor instead. Hence the confusion and like someone else said it is so much hassle to attach eye piece, detach to attach telephoto convertor and then t-mount and camera. Then when finished taking photos do it all again !

So much easier with a compact but not sure results would be so good (if you could work it that is).

See you soon.

Ruby said:
Hi,

I've got a Coolpix 4500 (ES80 scope...) and use manual exposure. In order to attempt to maximise light, I've got the aperture set wide open, and manually set the shutter speed. On this camera, you get an exposure preview and also a momentary review of the pic, you can see if the exposure is looking more or less right.

Good luck... Ruby

Ok so aperture wide open it is.............what setting is this? I often see 'wide open' written but have no idea what that means........HELP !

Thanks

Henry B said:
Rin, what glass is their between the camera and scope ? Lens or Eyepiece.

There is a telephoto adaptor between the camera and scope. It is effectively a lens. I have to remove the eyepiece to attach this telephoto adaptor. What difference would this make? See totally thick !!!

Rin, now I,m confused. Is there any glass in the telephoto adapter. The one I have is just a short tube that screws on to the scope over the eyepiece.

camera

Hi Rin, this is what I mean,saves the guesses.Hope it helps.

Attachments

• IMG_2643 (Small).JPG
    IMG_2643 (Small).JPG
    25.9 KB · Views: 424
  • IMG_2644 (Small).JPG
    IMG_2644 (Small).JPG
    27 KB · Views: 451
  • IMG_2645 (Small).JPG
    IMG_2645 (Small).JPG
    29.9 KB · Views: 577
If your lens is a 100mm f2.8 for example the aperture is wide open at 2.8 where as at f22,f32,f45 the aperture would be very small. As an anology for the camera to control and limit the amount of light reaching the image plane, the aperture and the shutter speed work in combination in a similar way to filling a glass. If you were to turn the tap so that a trickle of water came out ie (using a small aperture), it would take a long time to fill the tumbler ie ( a long shutter speed ie 1/8 sec).Turn on the tap fully( a wide open aperture) and the glass fills much more quickly( a short shutter speed 1/1250). How far you choose to open the tap will directly affect the rate at which the tumbler is filled. So for example to freeze the action of a bird you need a high shutterspeed and consequently to achieve this an aperture that is wider open.
Hope this helps

www.peregrinesbirdblog.blogspot.com

Henry B said:
Hi Rin, this is what I mean,saves the guesses.Hope it helps.

Here goes.

Mines is called a 41110 Telephoto Adapter. I remove the eyepiece from the scope, place it in my camera bag out of harms way and screw on the telephoto adapter in its place. I then attach the T mount to the telephoto adapter and then attach my digital slr to the T mount.

Apparently the telephoto adapter is an 1100mm lens equivalent, there is no zoom facility with it.

I think that our set up is very similar. It is getting my head round the apperture settings that could be fun !!! Technical for my little brain !!!

I will read the manual over the next few nights and get back to you.

Thanks for all your time and assistance, much appreciated and thanks for the photos. Once on the scope my set up looks just like yours, decieving.

Speak soon.

Rin x

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back