• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

revivingKensArt (1 Viewer)

Nice egret, sir! I very much like the way you've painted the water in the background - a real sense of depth. Lovely.
Great sparrow studies, too. Very spontaneous studies of very sprightly birds! My indolence approaching anything to do with feeding birds obviously means I don't get chance to sketch 'em round the house but my sister's place is a haven for them so 'tis where I will hopefully try to capture some from the comfort of the lounge - aaahhh.

Russ

sparrow sheet is marvelous Ken, I'm too chicken to do field work in pen, but you make me want to try, love the effects you are getting

Haven't commented in a while it seems, sorry Ken. I'm a big fan of the terns and there's something in the slightly cubist way you've approached that 'pecker that's especially appealling. Worth pursuing both for sure.

Mike

Well the terns seem to win in terms of what to do first as a larger scale work after all these putterings...........

It's getting near completion but I'm sure I'll do a bit more work, then print an edition. Trying my first water-based ink for this.

Attachments

• blackTernLino103111.jpg
    blackTernLino103111.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 54
Well the terns seem to win in terms of what to do first as a larger scale work after all these putterings...........

It's getting near completion but I'm sure I'll do a bit more work, then print an edition. Trying my first water-based ink for this.

Don't go too far Ken, I like it lot's as it is. Cracking B&W work..

Ooof!!! straight into the solar plexus!! What a crackerjack this is - your best of this medium, and that's saying something!

Thanks all. I'm trying to finish it without ruining it with too much fiddling......................;)

Still letting this print sit while I stare at it. I just wanted to be sure I think it's done before I print an edition.

In the meantime I've been seeing a fair number of Ruby-cowned Kinglets as they migrate through. A recent sighting of one on some cattails got me thinking about a painting on that theme.

So an exploratory sketch in ball point pen and watercolor done from the two field sketches of the kinglet, along with Red-bellied Woodpecker and most likely a Swamp Sparrow, and cattails. I continue to like this method of picture exploration.

Attachments

• kingletCattailsWC111011.jpg
    kingletCattailsWC111011.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 53
  • fcKingletFS111011.jpg
    fcKingletFS111011.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 50
  • cattailsFS111011.jpg
    cattailsFS111011.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 51
Thanks Gaby. I've been wanting to pursue acrylics so used the sketches from previous post for this 11x14 acrylic of a Ruby-crowned Kinglet on some cattails.

This is my second acrylic in 25+ years after doing the first one of the Kildeer this summer. I'm still feeling my way along figuring out where I want to go with it. For the moment I guess I like the Karl Rungius broad, painterly approach. But who knows where it will lead to............

I'm tempted not to do much more on this one.

Attachments

• rcKingletAcrylic111111.jpg
    rcKingletAcrylic111111.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 66
Fabulous. There's a touch of the Keebles in this last piece - and that is praise enough. The way you work through your process is so informative. Wonderful.

Fabulous. There's a touch of the Keebles in this last piece - and that is praise enough. The way you work through your process is so informative. Wonderful.

Thanks Tim. I did think about Ed as this painting developed. As far as my process it's mainly wishful thinking on my part. I hope that combining two sketches will work, then I hope the pen and ink and watercolor will work, then I hope that the painting will work................... So far I've been lucky I guess.

Thanks Gaby. I've been wanting to pursue acrylics so used the sketches from previous post for this 11x14 acrylic of a Ruby-crowned Kinglet on some cattails.

This is my second acrylic in 25+ years after doing the first one of the Kildeer this summer. I'm still feeling my way along figuring out where I want to go with it. For the moment I guess I like the Karl Rungius broad, painterly approach. But who knows where it will lead to............

I'm tempted not to do much more on this one.

what a fine balanced thing that is

I'm always intrigued by what a difference it makes to put a bird in a picture- takes a general sense of place and turns it into a specific moment

wow ED I was at the moment just working out a single bird on a seascape wondering how it changes things, Bingo! just exactly as you say Thanks!

Thanks everyone. I'm happy with the way this one turned out. I did some very minor tweaking in shortening the tail of bird. But other than that I left it as in last photo.

Nick, most of my artistic life has been as a painter in oils or acrylics. But I've never painted anything other than abstractions. So now that I'm finally getting familiar with birds I've returned to acrylic painting. It's odd using a brush and acrylics with subject matter but I find that a lot of my old comfort with brush and paint, and composition, is returning.

I've let the tern linocut sit for a couple of weeks. I just couldn't decide on what to do with that band of darker beach toward the bottom. Finally yesterday I lightened it up a bit and added a couple of other very light accents. It's hard to tell when to cut more away. Without realizing it you turn from a lino that was too dark that one that's too light. Anyway I think this is done now. Just need to print an edition. This was done with water based ink. I'm not sure whether I'll use that or oil-based in the edition.

The other day I saw the latest osprey I've ever seen in Philadelphia. This quick little ink and watecolor sketch is based on a photo from another time. The field sketch I did the other day just wasn't enough to do much with.

Attachments

• tenTenrsLino111811.jpg
    tenTenrsLino111811.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 61
  • ospreyWC111511.jpg
    ospreyWC111511.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 60
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back