• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Vintage (1980s) Zeiss 8x20B dioptre query (1 Viewer)

sammyboy

I've just won a lovely but slightly dusty pair of Zeiss 8x20B binoculars for £50 all in on eBay, the version with the circular focussing dial in the centre of the folding hinge. My question is - after looking at pics if it and identical models I can't see how dioptre adjustment is done? It won't come with a manual and can't find one on the web.

How is the dioptre adjusted if it can be on these bins, or does anyone have a copy/PDF of the manual they could send me?

Thanks! :)

Sammy,

I guess it must be the 8x20 B/GA Dialyt, which was the premium Zeiss compact at the time.
Judging by an illustration in an old catalogue, the diopter adjustment is probably the knob at the objective end of the hinge.

John

Thanks for the reply John :)

It's this model here - this is the actual auction I won (link) , I can't see where the dioptre adjustment would be as there doesn't seem to be an adjustment knob at the objective end of the hinge?

Cheers, Sam

Sam,

No, that's not the Dialyt. I recognize it now but have no idea how the diopter can be adjusted, if at all. Perhaps someone else, or Zeiss themselves, can help.

John

Cheers John, I looked at some pics of an identical model that was on sale on Ebay & couldn't see how it could be done, will give Zeiss a bell, but suspect it can't be adjusted too. Does anyone here have that model, or had one that could shed any light on this conundrum?

Hi, When that model was introduced, (with the large focussing wheel in the centre), I asked the Zeiss rep. at the time about how to set the the diopter. He said that there was no diopter setting, people whose eyes were different, could just use their glasses as the eyecups folded down to accomodate glasses!
At the time, I decided to keep the previous model, which was the 8x20IF version, as being more user friendly.
John

Hi, thanks for the info, as feared it doesn't seem it can be adjusted!

I wear glasses as I'm very short sighted, and normally wear them still when using binoculars, however still sometimes need to dial in a bit of dioptre correction. It will be interesting to see how I get on with these when they arrive!

It seems a very strange omission for Zeiss to make though, especially when even cheap manufacturers at the time put dioptre adjusters in - wonder if this model got a lot of complaints because of this and how long the production run was?

Hi Sammyboy, In my Zeiss catalogues, they are shown in the 1975-1979 range, at the same time as the 8x20 IF's. In 1971 only the 8x20 IF is shown, and in 1981 only the 8x20 currently marketed as the Classic, ( with focussing on one hinge and dioptre on the other), is shown. As I don't have complete years of catalogues, that time range may be greater.
John

Cheers John, sounds like my Zeiss are a little older than I thought then - late '70s rather than early '80s?

It would be interesting to see if Zeiss had many complaints about the lack of Dioptre adjustment on this model or not!

Hi Sammyboy, I cannot help but wonder why they did produce that model, optically it was fine, but many (most?) people use some dioptre correction. It would have been quite easy, IMHO, to put the correction on the ocular, or the objective (like the early compact Trinovids). I think the answer I got from the rep. in my earlier post, sums up their thinking at the time, either wear glasses, or buy the IF model. I did not then, or now, wear glasses, but I do use about +1.5 dioptre correction. There must have been some unsatisfied customers! I do hope you are able to enjoy them!
John

Thanks John, they should hopefully arrive today if the postman hurries up! I wear glasses and depending on the binoculars tend to have around -0.5 dioptre correction, though it varies from 0 to -1 depending on the optics. Hopefully I will be able to enjoy the binoculars with that or they're a pair where I wouldn't need any dioptre correction!

This version of the 8x20 was manufactured between 1974 and 1981.

The following version had separate focus and dioptre wheels. Production started in 1981.

The Zeiss finally arrived after lunch, generally I'm very impressed by them! The lack of dioptre adjustment isn't a problem with my glasses on, luckily these are a pair that don't need any correction. Lovely and sharp optics, surprisingly bright for compacts and a good field of view. Close focus from about 3m, and very compact.
However they do feel a bit plasticky, not sure if it's just my example but the focus wheel is slightly tight and it's a bit of a fiddle to adjust, plus eye placement slightly tricky at times with eyecups rolled down.
Overall though an excellent, go-anywhere pair of quality bins, worth the £50 I paid and should get plenty of use.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back