• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tamron SP 150-600mm F5-6.3 DI IF VC USD (2 Viewers)

Say what you will, it's certainly exciting to be a birder who is also an amateur photographer at the moment, with the Tamron, the 7D mk ii, and the new Sigma zooms all becoming available in the next few months. For me I think I will set my sights on the new body, and get a converter for my 400 5.6, but I am really intrigued by the possibilities of these zoom lenses and will keep a close eye on threads like this one. Great pictures on both sides of this debate too - keep 'em coming!
Sean

Problems

I've been following this thread for some time. I purchased the Tammy and returned it a couple of weeks later. I loved the flexibility of the zoom, but otherwise had problems. I bought the lens to get more reach than I had with my 400/5.6. I wrote to Tamron about various focusing issues I had. Trying to helpful, Tamron wrote back the following:

"Thank you for contacting Tamron. I'm sorry about the issue you are having with your lens. If your lighting and contrast are good this lens should provide very nice shots even beyond the 400mm mark. With that said it can be a bit of a challenge to shoot at around 500 to 600mm as this is approximately where the lens aperture goes from F/5.6 to F/6.3. Your depth of field will certainly be much thinner at this focal length which adds to the challenge."

This confirmed my fears that I would always struggle with this lens at the longer end. So I shipped it back and have pre-ordered the 7D Mark II. I am planning to use my 400/5.6 and a 1.4x teleconverter to get to 560 (FF equivalent).

I do miss the zoom, but find I make better images with my 400. Whatever works best for each person is what they should use. I found that it seemed the Tamron representative was echoing my sentiments regarding the longer end of their lens.

Could you please detail what problems you were having? Was the lens too heavy and you had shake issues? Not focusing properly?

Also what body were you shooting with?

Very interested to know. I find that I have zero problems at the long end getting nice, sharp pics, even in low light conditions. I shoot with a 70d.

I was shooting with both a 7D and 5D2. I used a Manfrotto tripod. Main issues were: poor bokeh with out of focus circles similar to what www.the-digital-picture.com found, poor clarity when viewed at 100% between 500-600mm, and the need to use very high ISOs at or near 600mm. Don't get me wrong, below 400mm it was great, but I already have a 400mm lens. I also liked the build quality. But, for me, I wanted greater reach with this lens with better quality than I got. If I didn't already have a lens of 400mm, I probably would have kept it. It wasn't easy to return a lens I waited three months for. I know you and many others are enjoying yours lenses just fine. I appreciate that. Since the 7D2 was announced way after I had pre-ordered my Tammy, I now think being able to focus my 400 at f8 will, hopefully, work best for me.

problems

I was shooting with both a 7D and 5D2. I used a Manfrotto tripod. Main issues were: poor bokeh with out of focus circles similar to what www.the-digital-picture.com found, poor clarity when viewed at 100% between 500-600mm, and the need to use very high ISOs at or near 600mm. Don't get me wrong, below 400mm it was great, but I already have a 400mm lens. I also liked the build quality. But, for me, I wanted greater reach with this lens with better quality than I got. If I didn't already have a lens of 400mm, I probably would have kept it. It wasn't easy to return a lens I waited three months for. I know you and many others are enjoying yours lenses just fine. I appreciate that. Since the 7D2 was announced way after I had pre-ordered my Tammy, I now think being able to focus my 400 at f8 will, hopefully, work best for me.

Thanks for the reply. I have heard many people say that they have struggled with the focusing on both of those older bodies. For some reason the lens seems to perform far better with the newer 70d and also the 5diii. Once I get the 7dii I will post shots with it and the Tamron but that probably wont come for another month and a half.

Also, why did you need to shoot at high ISO's so much at the longer end? I would think that the tripod would allow you to stay steady and therefore shoot at lower ISO's and shutter speeds.

Last edited:
Well, for one thing, shooting at or around 600mm in early light requires a higher ISO if you are going to shoot at a fast shutter speed and f8 - f10. Second, I don't accept the idea that the 7D is such an old model. Its still in production and should be able to handle and EOS EF lens or equivalent. Third, I know another photographer who shoots with a 1DX who experienced similar problems and went through two Tammys before returning them and giving up. As I said, there have been a lot of excellent photos taken with this lens. I liked it a lot up to about 400mm. I just wasn't happy with results at the longer end.

I think that of all the comments I see on the Tamron that talk of problems of any form - focusing, sharpness, etc - all seem to be from Canon users. And the early reports of focus freezing during tracking and such were all strictly with the Canon mount version. I wonder if the first batches of the lens, which were exclusively in Canon mount, had issues that were either later resolved, or only an issue with Canon bodies that didn't arise on the Nikon or Sony mounts. I know the complaints I hear are very different and in seeming opposition to anything I'm experiencing with this lens - focus is superb, tracking excellent and fast, details are excellent at 600mm even very good at F6.3, definitely no issues with contrast or clarity at full tele, and at least in Florida's decent light, no real issues with the high ISOs (though I'm comfortable shooting at ISO1600 if I'm shooting in early or late day light) - during normal daylight I'm not seeing any real problems shooting at F6.3 to F8 and 600mm, and ISOs of 100-400. I could understand gloomy UK shooters having issues on a grey day - but that's not a Tamron issue, that's an issue of any lens that's not F2.8 or F4, since they need all the light they can get.

I guess if I was a Canon shooter, I would be cautious with the Tamron - testing it thoroughly to make sure I wasn't having the issues others mention - but I see far less issues, or none, raised by Nikon & Sony shooters so far, so that's a good thing if interested in the Tamron and you shoot those mounts.

I was born in it, and spent my youngest years in it, but my parents had the good sense to move across the pond when I was 5...not that NY or NJ was humongously better...then they moved to Florida where light is ever abundant. I've stayed in the southern half of the U.S. since then - having lived in Louisiana and California and back to Florida.

I was thinking the same thing, Zackiedawg. This could relate to the implementation on the Canon platform. I do have some regret in returning the lens, but the Bokeh issue I referred to earlier was enough for me. I know it could be fixed in post, but with the announcement of the new 7D, it changed the game for me as I have always wanted to use my 400 with a 1.4x canon extender (which I already own). So, I'll see. There are also the new Sigma lenses lurking out there....

A long range shot too. A Yellow-legged Gull at 230m (!) - measured on Google Earth.

I don't want to hijack the Tammy thread with pics taken with a Canon lens though.

I would be interested in seeing some long range Tammy shots or BIFs.

Cropped image, taken today with the Nikon D7100/Tammy combo: cormorant at long-range; dull, overcast conditions - aperture wide open to try to keep ISO manageable; the lens at maximum focal length.

EXIF DATA
Focal Distance: 281 m
ISO: 720
Focal Length: 600 mm
Aperture: f/6.3
Shutter: 1/1000s

Attachments

• CLR281m.jpg
    CLR281m.jpg
    579.5 KB · Views: 100
Tamron vs 400 5.6

I was thinking the same thing, Zackiedawg. This could relate to the implementation on the Canon platform. I do have some regret in returning the lens, but the Bokeh issue I referred to earlier was enough for me. I know it could be fixed in post, but with the announcement of the new 7D, it changed the game for me as I have always wanted to use my 400 with a 1.4x canon extender (which I already own). So, I'll see. There are also the new Sigma lenses lurking out there....

Hopefully that works out for you and I look forward to seeing your shots with that combo. I have still not seen any shots with the 400 5.6 plus converter that have blown me away and made me think that that is the better option compared to the versatility of the tamron. Have you seen or have examples with that combo that you could reference or show links for? Have that combo for BIF? I'd love to see it. Again I pre-ordered the 7dii as well and already have the 400 5.6 so getting the 1.4 iii would not be so difficult.

I don't have any at hand. But, I bought the version II teleconverter some time ago thinking I could achieve manual results from handholding. That didn't work out so well. I may need to upgrade to the newer version. From what I've read here and elsewhere, the 400 and teleconverter should be a workable solution to getting more reach. However, there's always the potential to re-order the Tammy down the line if it doesn't work so well. We'll see.

By the way, I've noticed your images and they're impressive. I lived in Long Island for 14 years before taking my present job in Florida and never got to Nickerson Beach or Jamaica. Too busy raising kids in those days and while I've been into photography for a long time, I didn't really focus on birds til I got to South Florida. I come up to NY several times a year and will have to try to get back out there. I was at the Jersey shore this summer for a weekend but didn't have much results because I had very little time for photography.

400 5.6 plus converter

I don't have any at hand. But, I bought the version II teleconverter some time ago thinking I could achieve manual results from handholding. That didn't work out so well. I may need to upgrade to the newer version. From what I've read here and elsewhere, the 400 and teleconverter should be a workable solution to getting more reach. However, there's always the potential to re-order the Tammy down the line if it doesn't work so well. We'll see.

By the way, I've noticed your images and they're impressive. I lived in Long Island for 14 years before taking my present job in Florida and never got to Nickerson Beach or Jamaica. Too busy raising kids in those days and while I've been into photography for a long time, I didn't really focus on birds til I got to South Florida. I come up to NY several times a year and will have to try to get back out there. I was at the Jersey shore this summer for a weekend but didn't have much results because I had very little time for photography.

I did a quick flickr search for the 400 5.6 plus a converter. Looked through maybe 500 or so pics that were shot with that combo. Did not find one shot that really showed great detail. I am sure that many of them exist. Just have not seen them. The thing I really like about the Tamron, is that even at a shutter speed of 1/160th I can still get a few sharp shots out of the bunch at 600mm, hand held. Can you do that without the IS?

My boys are young now. 5 and 8 but my dad moved in with me a year ago and he helps out quite a bit. Gives me more time to get out and go birding and also take some pics along the way. Nickerson Beach is a great spot for shooting Oystercatchers, Common Terns, Piping Plovers and Skimmers. I am sure you have plenty of spots for those in Florida so you are not missing much. Jamaica Bay is another story. That place is a shorebird Mecca. You get out on the pond with the birds and can with patience and some luck practically have the birds feeding directly in front of you. It makes a really big difference to get close, especially in good light.

low ISO shots

Took some more shots today hand held at very low ISO's. VC came in very handy. I would love to see how these compare to similar shots hand held with the 400 plus converter which has no VC/IS. Processed in DPP. Comments and criticism always welcome.

Gray Catbird at SS 1/125th

https://www.flickr.com/photos/120553232@N02/15535744726/

And a Common Yellowthroat at SS 1/200th

https://www.flickr.com/photos/120553232@N02/15371742897/in/photostream/

And for some reason the SS on this shot was 1/800th but it was in a darker area than the prior two shots. Not sure how the camera was metering for this one.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/120553232@N02/15557847075/in/photostream/

Comparison

Great shots with lots of detail. I'd give up worrying about the comparison and just enjoy yourself with the Tamron!
Sean

Thanks for the kind words. I am not so worried for myself. I am quite confident in what results I can get with the Tamron given proper form and technique along with the right settings and a cooperative bird. Shots that I miss are my fault, not the lenses fault. I was either not close enough (need to work on my bushcraft) or moved while shooting or had my settings wrong.
The gear is quite capable or nice results.

I am kind of anal when it comes to making decisions. Just like to know all of the facts and have a good chance to digest them before I come to a conclusion. The real reason I am so curious about another combo is that I should be getting my 7dii in the next few weeks. It opens up a different set of possibilities to my shooting. 400 plus converter, Tamron, Sigma? Or of course I may just return the 7dii, decide it is not worth the extra $1,800 and keep what I have. But then what do I spend my money on? 1st world problems3:)

Tamron

Veeery nice. You really make the Tammy sing. Keep'em coming :)

Thanks. Since you asked, here is a shot that I also took yesterday that is a condition that I struggle with (still a newb and have no problem admitting it).
Lighting conditions were very extreme as it was about 11 in the morning and sun was high in the sky. But I was shooting a dark, reflective bird at the edge of the forest and trying to keep good detail. I kept messing with the exposure compensation and f stops to get a setting that I thought would best keep the detail but not over expose the bird. I settled on -1/3 and f9 am very happy with the results. I was also happy that it was next to lots of colorful leaves (that thankfully were not too reflective) so it gives the pic a fall feel. Tamron performed very well at 500mm, hand held. Pic processed with DPP.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/120553232@N02/15536335686/in/photostream/

Took some more shots today hand held at very low ISO's. VC came in very handy. I would love to see how these compare to similar shots hand held with the 400 plus converter which has no VC/IS.

Superb shots. Amazing detail - particularly the Gray Catbird. This is where the Tammy trounces the 400 5.6. In low light situations the IS is crucial.

Even if my 550D plus 400+1.4x did AF (and this low light scenario is where it would commonly hunt and fail to AF), I would need 1/1000s to handhold and avoid blur and so would be at ISO 3200 (instead of your ISO 400).

In practice, I wouldn't even try to use the 1.4x for this type of shooting, and would go with the naked 400 5.6 at ISO 1600. There's no way the final result would be as good as this though.

Last edited:
Is

Superb shots. Amazing detail - particularly the Gray Catbird. This is where the Tammy trounces the 400 5.6. In low light situations the IS is crucial.

Even if my 550D plus 400+1.4x did AF (and this low light scenario is where it would commonly hunt and fail to AF), I would need 1/1000s to handhold and avoid blur and so would be at ISO 3200 (instead of your ISO 400).

In practice, I wouldn't even try to use the 1.4x for this type of shooting, and would go with the naked 400 5.6 at ISO 1600. There's no way the final result would be as good as this though.

Thanks again. I am really happy with that Catbird shot. It's not the best composition or colors, but considering the conditions, I am pleased with the result.

The IS is one of the main reasons that I think that the Tamron makes a fantastic walk around birding lens. It is not too heavy, it has IS and gets out to 600mm. I already carry enough gear while birding that I don't want to carry more. And if the situation arises, I want to be able to get a shot and not think that I can't do that because it's too dark or too far away or flying too fast. Yesterday was a perfect example of that. I was able to walk a trail that was shaded and also brightly lit. I was able to use the IS on quite a few birds that were in the shade. The 600mm got me close to the birds so the shots do not need a large crop. I was also able to use the zoom and take a shot like this at 400mm as a Grackle walked close to me.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/120553232@N02/14939412284/in/photostream/

The Tamron is extremely versatile and good at what it does. And to me is very sharp at 600mm as long as it is stopped down a bit.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back