• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon A95 Cable-release Bracket from Pennine (1 Viewer)

Andy Bright

Administrator
Staff member
England
I've been trying out the cable-release bracket for the Canon A95 from Pennine Photographic for a few days now.
Typical of Pennine, it's a very fuss-free affair, with no moving parts... in fact it's little more than an angled piece of metal attached via the tripod socket of the camera and with the requisite threaded aperture for the cable-release to screw-in.

The design doesn't obstruct the camera's zoom control nor the memory card slot, though you will need to loosen the bracket and swing it around slightly to change batteries (fair enough).

In use.... it works ;) The test images that I took were noticably sharper than when using my finger to trigger the shutter, even though I had good light (fast shutter-speeds) when using my finger.

Attachments

• pennineA95KICX0460.jpg
    pennineA95KICX0460.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 717
I thought you were referring to the clay idea for a moment ;)

Yep, the intrepid d.i.y'er can get around all sorts of these problems (we had no alternative in the early days of digiscoping and bending alloy strip was a regular task)... though many just want to buy off the shelf these days.

The Pennine device can be rotated to expose the shutter button in a second or so... though it's aimed at the dedicated digiscoper, so it's unlikely to be a major concern for users.

cheers,
Andy

Looks as though you could also use the Velcro type (like the one I made for the Kyocera SL400) as well. It also allows the camera to be used normally when fitted, has no moving parts and is not made of metal (that can scratch the camera).

Mark

M N Reeder said:
Looks as though you could also use the Velcro type (like the one I made for the Kyocera SL400) as well. It also allows the camera to be used normally when fitted, has no moving parts and is not made of metal (that can scratch the camera).

Mark
May be a bit tricky with the Canon's zoom control mounted around the shutter button? Possibly an idea worth pursuing though.

Andy

Does the Pennine adaptor have a tripod thread in the bottom of the thread / nut that screws into the camera body ? as I currently use the 'bader' clamp to mount my a95 to my swaro

fr0sty said:
Andy

Does the Pennine adaptor have a tripod thread in the bottom of the thread / nut that screws into the camera body ? as I currently use the 'bader' clamp to mount my a95 to my swaro
If not?.

The Jessops one does!.

Just had a mail from pennine !!

They have put 1/4 inch adaptor in the bottom of your retaining screw.

These guys at Pennine have thought of everything !!!!

fr0sty said:
Just had a mail from pennine !!

They have put 1/4 inch adaptor in the bottom of your retaining screw.

These guys at Pennine have thought of everything !!!!

Hi guys,

The only thing wrong with this adapter is that there is no fibre retaining washer on the fixing nut, so if/when you take the adapter off of your camera the nut comes away from the bracket (and could get lost).

Just a thought...

Good morning everyone. I'm new to this, both writing in a forum (and digiscoping), but it seems like a great way to get some information. I haven't bought the scope or camera yet, but have been doing some research and came up with this list. The price is high, but as long as I am going to do it, I want to do it right. This is what I am thinking of and I'd like your comments and suggestions. I obtained the information from www.birdwatching.com.

Swarovski 65mm HD Scope
Swarovski 20-60x Zoom Eyepiece
Gitzo Carbon Fiber Tripod
Wimberley Head Sidemount
Wimberley P-20 Lens Plate
(Or instead of the Wimberley mount,
A Bogen Fluid Head)
Radian Universal Digital Adapter
Canon A95. Has anyone tried the Canon Powershot A620? Would that work as well or better? I like Canon; I like their swivel LCD, but was wondering if I could go a little higher on the megapixels than the A95, and still use it with the scope.
Pennine Cable Release for Canon A95.

Thanks for any advice you can give me. Alison Royle

Andy Bright said:
I've been trying out the cable-release bracket for the Canon A95 from Pennine Photographic for a few days now.
Typical of Pennine, it's a very fuss-free affair, with no moving parts... in fact it's little more than an angled piece of metal attached via the tripod socket of the camera and with the requisite threaded aperture for the cable-release to screw-in.

Andy,

Do you know whether or not this cable-release bracket will also fit the A620?

Colin

Colin Key said:
Andy,

Do you know whether or not this cable-release bracket will also fit the A620?

Colin
I wouldn't think it would fit, the 620 looks to be a departure from the old 'A' series style. Depending upon demand, Pennine may produce one for the A620.

cheers,
Andy

Scope/Camera/release but what adaptor?

I have an APO77 and an A95, tried handheld with promising results. Bought a penine CR and now neew to get an adaptor. Question is which? A recommendation is urgently needed!

ChrisSearle said:
I have an APO77 and an A95, tried handheld with promising results. Bought a penine CR and now neew to get an adaptor. Question is which? A recommendation is urgently needed!

I have a different scope and eyepiece but I do have the A95. I use an adapter made for the A95 by Lensmate (http://www.lensmateonline.com/newsite/A95A80.html). Others in previous threads have discussed this adapter. The adapter comes in two sizes, 37mm and 52mm. I have the 37mm. I then use a 37mm-to-t-mount ring that then threads onto the eyepiece. When I am using an eyepiece that does not have a t-thread, I connect it to an adapter from Scopetronix (than then connects to the eyepiece. I hope this helps.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back