• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Vectis Birder's sketchbook 2007 (1 Viewer)

Great work, head shape and bill in particular are spot on, as is the whole shape and jizz. Not the easiest bird in the world to get right, these display a keen eye for shape and structure. Well done and keep it up...

Love those Rooks Vectis, really nicely observed

Still can't do this sort of thing myself, but continue to enjoy looking at work from those who can;)

Keep'em coming

Matt

Here are a Little Egret and Coot, from a small reserve near home. I tried the hatching style of shading with the Egret, I think it's worked ok. The Coot I just did normal shading, but am not overly happy. Still, as a sketch, it's ok.

Attachments

• egret_sketch.jpg
    egret_sketch.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 94
  • coot_sketch.jpg
    coot_sketch.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 92
the egret is a gem, you've captured its movement so very well, (a sort of forceful and decided plod, followed by periods of erratic 'just going ****ing nuts!) I should write a field guide with such scientifically accurate statements!

That's a great job with the egrets VB, I struggle with them, they seem to be constantly on the move.

Woody

the egret is a gem, you've captured its movement so very well, (a sort of forceful and decided plod, followed by periods of erratic 'just going ****ing nuts!) I should write a field guide with such scientifically accurate statements!

Nick thats great:-O :-O

That sums Egret feeding behavior up for me mate, You do that
field guide and I'll defo have a copy.

Vectis the egrets look good to me they are'nt an easy bird to
field sketrch for exactly the reason Nick pointed out in his disciptive
manor.:t:

Well, after this week I should have more time for sketching and painting. I have handed my notice in at work (one month), but am also looking at the boot for allegedly being rude to a customer (I wasn't, he was being a pr!ck, so I just politely asked him to show a little more courtesy so he complained!). I'm going temping until I can go travelling, so there should be plenty of time for sketching. o:D

Hey- may be the best thing. Fate and all that. Get sketching - looking forward to seeing what you come up with. Getting obsessed with swans at the moment- must move on:t:

Good for you Vectis! I couldn't stand a*se hole customers/callers in previous jobs I've had. I used to work taking calls for 118 500 and some of the people that phoned up were just appalling. They were no better in the chip shop either, but at least there, I could get away with telling them to say 'please' and 'thankyou' because the bosses didn't stand for rude customers either. Jump on the opportunity and well done for standing up to the pr*ck!

I've just got in from work, have two days off and should be back on Wednesday. Only I have decided that today is my last day, only they don't know it yet, and won't until ten minutes before my shift is due to begin. They treat me badly, I treat them badly.
Looking forward to getting out sketching!

I've just got in from work, have two days off and should be back on Wednesday. Only I have decided that today is my last day, only they don't know it yet, and won't until ten minutes before my shift is due to begin. They treat me badly, I treat them badly.
Looking forward to getting out sketching!

hee hee, I worked in the kitchen at Wetherspoons for a while, on my first day they made me work nine hours without a break and regularly kept me there till long after my shift was finished, I waited until a busy bank holiday before phoning to say I wasn't coming back (the reason I gave was the job was f*cking with my head)! I'd have earned £100 for that day had I gone in, but it was the best day at the beach doing nothing I ever had.

Well done Vectis on your big decision, that's the hardest part chucking it in, enjoy whatever comes your way, life is for living.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back