• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Grouse of a day (1 Viewer)

IanF

I decided to have a last trip out birding before being out of action for a week or so following an operation on my shoulder tomorrow. I had a trip up to Langdon Beck in Teesdale, County Durham to see if the Black Grouse had started to congregate on the lek yet.

I found eleven birds together sheltering from the snow showers. It was a little on the dull side but I managed a couple of photos before the light got too bad. I didn't hang around very long as it was too darn cold up there. My fingers were numb after ten minutes of trying to take photos.
Black Grouse

I then headed back down the dale and had a ride around by Egglestone Common, more noted for it's Red Grouse than anything. One was very obliging by standing on a wall to show off it's feathered legs, normally hidden in the tufted grass and heather.
Red Grouse

Other birds of note were two Red-legged Partridge which were scuttling around chasing each other. I watched them for quite a while, but they were moving too quickly for a photo. There were also large flocks of Lapwing and Curlew, which seemed to be everywhere and flocks of 100+ Fieldfare surrounding Langdon Beck itself. It must be a favourite feeding area as they turn up every year in large numbers.

The weather could have been better but it was an enjoyable day nevertheless.

Attachments

• fieldfare dscn1255ro.jpg
    fieldfare dscn1255ro.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 172
Best of luck with the 'Op', Ian - can't you hire some native bearers to carry your gear (and indeed yourself, recumbent on a palanquin) ?

Tony

What a beautiful photo of the Black Grouse that is. The Red Grouse is a cracker also. I have asked, in the Black Grouse image, if you could let me know where this site is. I would love to get a shot like yours. Its an absolute beauty of a shot.

The only place I could get them in England no longer has them as they have disappeared from there about three or four years ago.

Beautiful images as always, Ian. I wish you a speedy recovery from your surgery. You'll be missed so hurry back to BirdForum.

Best Regards,
Marysan

Ian

Your usual clarity and composition. An excellent shot. Look after yourself and report back for duty at BF fit and well!

Best of luck.

I’d say you finished in style Ian! Absolutely breathtaking. Love all three photos, even the Fieldfare is an exotic for me, though I saw my first flock here in France this winter. Sounds like a fantastic site you have there in Teesdale. Good luck and look forward to seeing more outstanding pics very soon.

Beautiful photo IanF. I hope all goes well during and after your operation.May the Birding force be with you:gh:

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back