• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Have I been fooled by this Kestrel, Portugal? (1 Viewer)

rosbifs

PutAin STOP
Ukraine
So I saw two Kestrels sat together. When I stopped I only had a view through the corner of the windscreen. However, the male didn't have a moustache and the female was very orange brown in the colour.

immediately I thought Lesser Kestrel and tried to grab a photo as they flew in opposite directions. The male landed on a post...

c. 1hour later I refound a male on the same post. But this seems to have a faint moustache...

Are both or neither Lesser Kestrel?

Attachments

• IMG_7292.JPG
    IMG_7292.JPG
    9.7 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_7293.jpg
    IMG_7293.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_7294 2.jpg
    IMG_7294 2.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_7294.JPG
    IMG_7294.JPG
    9.9 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_7295.JPG
    IMG_7295.JPG
    18.9 KB · Views: 145
And this is either the same or a different bird...

Attachments

• IMG_7322.JPG
    IMG_7322.JPG
    20 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_7323.JPG
    IMG_7323.JPG
    14.8 KB · Views: 391
  • IMG_7324.jpg
    IMG_7324.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_7326.JPG
    IMG_7326.JPG
    9.8 KB · Views: 25
I'm struggling because I have to connect to wifi to my phone and then airdrop to the computer....

Will see if there is another way.

Not sure how many individuals you are posting here but the male in post #3 is a Common imo - distinct moustache, pale cheek and comparatively heavy streaking rather than small spots point to Common Kestrel. Isn’t getting quite late for Lesser Kestrel in Portugal? They tend to move Westward post-breeding before migrating. (Maybe revise that statement - some tagging studies https://core.ac.uk/download/pdf/192555025.pdf suggest this is the case with juveniles whereas adults seem to remain near breeding sites - do some of the birds at Castro Verde winter over? - no doubt RM is the best person to throw further light on movements of LK in Portugal)

Last edited:
Ok

So I think I have been duped unless someone wants a stab... I was convinced that I couldn't see a moustache in the first maleand then the deep ochre colour - which is evident.

That said it would be crazy to think there were two birds with this colouring (three if you count the female) so they have to be the same??!?

Attachments

• IMG_7329.JPG
    IMG_7329.JPG
    87.3 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:
FWIW, On this resolution and on the smaller size images, it’s hard to make out detail, but your last image also looks better for a Common male imo - I would expect to see some light grey coverts if a Lesser, a better resolution might reveal those darker spots on the wings are dark centered feathers,( the claws look like they may be dark too?).

I'm with Deb. I think there's a very scary level of photo artifacts in these photos and a lot of artificial smoothing going on. The tail looks all grey (adult, no 1st summer here), so as mentioned above I'd expect to see grey on the wings, no spots on the underparts.

I almost posted on ebird! Thank goodness for even rubbish photos...

Had some great birds mind - Bonellis Eagle, another Short Eared Owl, 2 maybe three British Pied Wagtails, some strange escaped cage birds - Red Billed Avadavat and some Yellow Crowned Bishops...

The Bonelli's Eagle is always nice, there's a pair just north of the Cabo Raso (Peninha area: this is also good for Alpine Accentor, Ring Ouzel and Snow Bunting was once regular there). Cabo da Roca, also just north of Cabo Raso, but a much higher cape, can also be good for Alpine Accentor, Wallcreeper has been seen there more than once and Magnus Robb found a Little Bunting there some years ago; I also found a Snow Finch there about 2 decades ago (but I guess all these alpine birds are what you get where you live in France).
Where did you see the Red Avadavat and YCB? YCB breed in large numbers in the Tagus estuary area, they're gathering in flocks now that can contain many hundred individuals (some years ago I saw one that would have more than 1000); Red Avadavats also occur there.

Last edited:
#10 picture: I have never seen a Common Kestrel with greater coverts without subterminal dark and clear cut spot, even in these adult males which are hardly spotted above; also the the whole upperparts look very spotless (but this can be photoartefact). But I have seen Lesser Kestrel with no or almost no grey in greater coverts, if this is a second cal y Lesser with just a few left juvenile coverts (spotted but not the neigbouring coverts) such a bird would have new (adult- type) remiges and tail and would still be spotted below and readily show a faint moustache. Also (again could be artefact) I see claws half black half white. I'd like to know if someone of you has ever seen a Common with unspotted greater coverts (I'm genuinely interested and I don't think this is an artefact here). To my eyes this is a second calendar autumn Lesser Kestrel

My concern with the lack of upperparts spotting is that the spotting was removed by an auto algorithm of the kind that makes your skin look smooth and glossy. I'm not sure I'm observing a true lack of spots. Look at the rocks just next to the bird's feet, they're "melted". Wouldn't a 2nd cal bird still have some unmoulted outer tail feathers?

My concern with the lack of upperparts spotting is that the spotting was removed by an auto algorithm of the kind that makes your skin look smooth and glossy. I'm not sure I'm observing a true lack of spots. Look at the rocks just next to the bird's feet, they're "melted". Wouldn't a 2nd cal bird still have some unmoulted outer tail feathers?

Forsman FLIGHT IDENTIFICATION pic 915: 19.9.2011 sec cy with taill completely moulted but outer tail feathers still growing
I agree on lot of artefacts and maybe this bird should be left unidentified, still interesting discussion

Forsman FLIGHT IDENTIFICATION pic 915: 19.9.2011 sec cy with taill completely moulted but outer tail feathers still growing
I agree on lot of artefacts and maybe this bird should be left unidentified, still interesting discussion

A 2cy male could only really be identified this time of year by retained juvenile flight feathers cf to adult feathers moulted in. This would translate in October as either clearly barred tertials and barred inner coverts on a 2cy Lesser Kestrel or new grey adult feathers which have replaced them or at least a mix of both (as moult is generally suspended in late migrants). I see neither barred tertials nor grey tertials here and have never seen a Lesser Kestrel with neither one nor the other. Adult male Common Kestrel on the other hand show variable terminal spotting to the tertials and secondaries, not always very visible on perched birds as the secondaries can ‘concertina’ on a folded wing, also obvious mantle spotting is generally confined to two ‘tramlines’ running down the back with the rest of the upperparts looking more plain rufous - I think this image reflects this pattern even with such a poor resolution - I don’t think the terminal spots to the feathers are ‘missing’ but ‘pixelled’ out of the image. It seems much more likely the spots are ‘melted out’ rather than any completely barred flight feathers. The face pattern in the previous image also looks better for Adult male Common Kestrel. See plate 567 Forsman 1999 p453 this adult male shows a very sparsely spotted tertial/secondary pattern due largely to posture. (I agree about claw colour, while reliable as a diagnostic tool, in the field it can be difficult to judge - black claws reflecting light or pale claws soiled with dirt, so on an image such as these a bit of a throw away)

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back