• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Warbler,Northern Greece (1 Viewer)

ody

Is it a Great Reed Warbler?
Photo taken very close to Thessaloniki.

Attachments

• Warbler.jpg
    Warbler.jpg
    175.4 KB · Views: 131
Certainly an unstreaked Acro and Reed Warbler would fit the bill, albeit don’t know if it’s the angle (looking slightly down on) makes the bill appear heavier?

Cheers

PS....just noticed “Great” in the question ody, when was the image taken?
If recently, wouldn’t know if GRW has ever over wintered in Europe?, certainly Reed Warbler has.

Last edited:
Photo taken 30/11/2019
Maybe the very good weather helped for its stay?

I doubt it would be a local breeder staying so late - hot weather in late summer doesn’t suit GRW so much as reed beds tend to dry out - wetter weather and mild temperatures in more northern European breeding sites perhaps more likely to delay migration passage through Southern Greece, especially if a juvenile - a vagrant eastern reed ssp probably should be ruled out this time of year too I guess given the late date but the long pp and rich warm tones would rule out ones I’m personally more familiar with - the dark tip to the lower mandible is a good pro GRW feature too.

I doubt it would be a local breeder staying so late - hot weather in late summer doesn’t suit GRW so much as reed beds tend to dry out - wetter weather and mild temperatures in more northern European breeding sites perhaps more likely to delay migration passage through Southern Greece, especially if a juvenile - a vagrant eastern reed ssp probably should be ruled out this time of year too I guess given the late date but the long pp and rich warm tones would rule out ones I’m personally more familiar with - the dark tip to the lower mandible is a good pro GRW feature too.

This bird was certainly present up till Dec.15th 2014 at least, along with two Common Whitethroats, at the well known London birding ''hot spot'' Leyton traffic island Roundabout! :eek!:

Cheers

Attachments

• A def. fuscus 3..jpg
    A def. fuscus 3..jpg
    320.7 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:
This bird was certainly present up till Dec.15th 2014 at least, along with two Common Whitethroats, at the well known London birding ''hot spot'' Leyton traffic island Roundabout! :eek!:

Cheers

Nice image of a skulking Reed Warbler. Not as unusual as a very late GRW - there have been several records of UK Reed Warbler being ringed in the months of November, December and January.

Agree with GRW. It's larger wing and tail feathers look somewhat unexpected paler and worn. Possibly it has some health issue forcing it to stay? Just a thought...

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back