• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Jessops (1 Viewer)

steve51158

Recently purchased a 2nd hand Jessops 20-60 80 mm of eBay.
Looks Ok so far,optics are clear,free of any dust or mould.Not yet had the chance of using them in the field.
Does any one know who makes these and does the zoom eyepiece come off.
Thanks.

Hi Steve and welcome.

Jessops used to sell a 20-60x80 low priced spotter similar to the Acuter.
They were sometimes very competitively priced.
Perhaps £80 or less, but I can't remember.

Jessops went into receivership? They had perhaps 200 shops? They often sold things at low prices for short periods. Minox binoculars 1/3 price. Small binoculars 1/5th price etc. Usually 2/3 price offers.
One of the T.V. people Peter Jones? bought the name and opened perhaps 25 shops.
Please correct me on the above if I remembered wrongly.

Some of my friends have removed the eyepieces, but I am not sure if they unscrew like the Acuters.
The later Acuters are waterproof.

If the eyepiece does come off, just gently try to unscrew it. Don't force it.

Regards,
B.

P.S.
As to who made it. Probably one of the Chinese makers producing countless spotting scopes sold under numerous names world wide.. If one buys perhaps 200, they will put whatever name one wants on it.
I am not sure if the aperture is vignetted at some magnifications.

Last edited:
Jessops update

Thanks for the great info,did not pay a lot.
Unable to remove zoom eyepiece but image at 20x is bright and well focused
but predictably gets worse at higher mag.
Will do for now.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back