• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lake Neusiedl end of April (1 Viewer)

3Italianbirders

Supporter
Italy
Hello all,
I have posted this in the "information wanted" forum but have had no replies yet, maybe I'll have better luck here?

We are planning a trip to Lake Neusiedl for the Easter break (April 21), which is longer than usual this year as it is just before the Italian national holiday of April 25, so we'll have over a week, roughly from the 18th to the 28th. Considering that it will take us a full day to drive there, and one to drive back, we'll have about a week and we may or may not decide to stop over in the Italian Dolomites.

We have a few targets, apart from the obvious Bustards, which I gather shouldn't be too difficult.

- White-tailed Eagle, always nice to see
- Long-legged Buzzard - is it a possibility?
- Lesser/Greater Spotted Eagles as above?
- Saker?

- the 3 crakes: Spotted, Little and Baillon's (?)

- Jack Snipe?

- the 3 Marsh Terns (whiskered, Black, white-winged)

- SE Owl?

- Syrian Woodpecker (plus the others)

- Bluethroat

- Warblers (gropper, river, Savi's, Barred, Lesser Whitethroat)

Lastly: Are there any sites for Common Rosefinch which can be reached as a day trip from Lake Neusiedl? Or is it too early as someone suggested in the other forum anyway?

I have just realised I had posted the same RFI a few years ago, but we ended up going somewhere else and it was nearly a month earlier, so I the range of species should be very different.

Hi,

I have only been in mid-May but a few thoughts

Syrian Woodpecker, fairly common, in 2017 bred in the courtyard of the Post Hotel, Illmitz, and can be easily viewed from the hotel restaurant which is recommended.

Warblers - the area around the hide at Warmblutkoppel and Illmitzstrasse - the road to the marina were good for Barred, Savi's and Icterine Warbler. That whole area us excellent with Pygmy Cormorant, Purple Heron, Ferruginous Duck and Caspian Tern plus waders all seen

Marsh Terns - you might be a bit early? Try the sites above but also Lange Lacke.

Raptors - the plains where you are looking for Bustards are probably a good start, no luck for me though

Not sure about some of your other requests but best of luck

Best bet is to look at ornitho.at for the latest sightings

Graham

Last edited:
Hello,

as Graham said, Hansag is probably the best place in Seewinkel for raptors and also for Short- eared Owls. LSE, GSE and LLB are rarities in Austria with only a few records per year though, so you need to be very lucky to see them :)

Spotted and Little Crake are possible in Seewinkel but they are not that common. Baillon's Crake is a rarity in Austria and, as far as I know, was last recorded in Austria in 2013.

Last year the first Marsh Terns were reported mid April, so they are possible.

Syrian Woodpecker is common there and also a lot of other woodpeckers can be seen. If you just want to go for woodpeckers, the forests in and around vienna probably would be the best choice though, because some of the species are rare in Seewinkel.

Also as Graham said, ornitho.at is really useful to check where which species was seen.

Here is a link to the species of Lake Neusiedl, when to see them and how rare or common they are. Most of it is in German but the names and some explanations are also in English: http://www.nationalpark-neusiedlers...ds/Vogelchecklisten/Artenliste_2017_10_05.pdf.

good birding! :)

Flo

Last edited:
Vielen Dank Flo!
I tried ornitho.at but if I need to register to see sightings on a map, but I have downloaded a few trip reports and I think I have a fair idea of where to look for things. I also have the species list from the Park (I read and understand a little German). Now I hope to find a place to stay!

Cristiana & family

Prego!
If you understand German, there is a booklet called "Vögel beobachten im Seewinkel" from Leander Khil. In the booklet he descripes the best birding spots, which species you can see there, how to get there, where to park your car, ... . I think it's a cool booklet if you don't know the area :) it's only in German though as far as I know.

You can also call the info point of the national park. They are always helpful and can tell you where to go and what to see. They can also tell you the water- levels of the "Lacken", which is really important (especially in summer though, I think at this time of the year there is water in most or all of them). If you go to the Information Center of the national park when you are there, there are also lists on which people can write the species they saw and where they saw them, which can be very useful.
http://www.nationalpark-neusiedlersee-seewinkel.at/kontakt.html

If you have any more questions about good birding spots or so, please feel free to ask!

Flo

Prego!
If you understand German, there is a booklet called "Vögel beobachten im Seewinkel" from Leander Khil. In the booklet he descripes the best birding spots, which species you can see there, how to get there, where to park your car, ... . I think it's a cool booklet if you don't know the area :) it's only in German though as far as I know.

https://www.leanderkhil.com/shop/ looks like it is now available in English

Dankeschön both!
We'll definitely order the book and we'll certainly stop at the Park Visitors' Centre. I can't find their opening hours, but I guess that it won't be difficult to find out.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back