• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hello from Hayling Island (1 Viewer)

DougJT

Just revived my childhood hobby now I have some time on my hands.
Any other birders nearby who know their way round this area?
Doug

Hi there and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum :t:

We're glad you found us and thanks for taking a moment to say hello. Please join in wherever you like ;)

Hi Doug and a warm welcome from me too.

When I was a frequent visitor to Bognor, I used to love going to Farlington Marshes. You can actually park near a path that runs along the edge of Langstone Harbour right into that reserve (see map. It's worth visiting most times of the year.

We have a good article for Farlington in The Opus. From there you can access other sites in Hampshire and find your way to Sussex, and my favourite Pagham Harbour.

I hope you enjoy your time here with us.

Thank you all. I used to go to Farlington marshes with my cousin when a was a lad. He's now a monk and doesn't get out much. Don't think it was anything to do with me or the birdwatching!
We saw a Waxwing I recall. That would have been in 1972ish.
I will be trying out Pagham and Farlington next week depending on the weather.
The first few weeks of my enthusiasm has been curtailed by hours of research into spotting scopes. I now have three! One will be re sold. It's so difficult to contrast and compare these days as there are so few shops selling scopes left. I'm keen to record sightings with a camera. Thus far my phone has taken pictures that are as good as my SLR despite a dedicated connector for the SLR and only na rudimentary frame for the iPhone.
I will report back on my adventures, thanks again. Doug

The last time I was at Pulborough Brooks they had a shop that sold optics and you could test them out.

Unfortunately I don't think In Focus have any shops near you.

You could, of course, wait until the Bird Fair and check out all the optics there! If you've got the patience to wait until August LOL

Welcome to BirdForum from another Hampshire Hog! I am sure you will find lots to interest you here, and I hope you enjoy your visits.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back