• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon SE Fungus? (1 Viewer)

Re.Post 15.
Fig. 1.3.
This was common in the 1980s in Aero Ektar 7 inch f/2.5 lenses made 1940 to 1945.
The coded serial numbers give the date of manufacture.
In fact it was difficult to find a pristine lens without this fault.
I think the large size of the groups was partly the problem, but the separation formed all over the lenses. It may be due to steep curves? Or just rushed wartime production. I suppose it could be that the heat for coating if applied after the groups were cemented, caused the cement faults to develop.
Yellow spot ones on the front bezel are Kodak coated. No spot are shadow factory coated.
These balsam faults will not have improved with time.
I don't think that it was due to the thorium elements as these were, from memory glasses 4 and 6 from the 7 glass lenses. The thorium elements were brownish. The speed of the lens probably dropped from f/2.5 to f/3.5 or f/4.(Or T/3.5 to T/4).
The lenses were hard coated.

From memory, and it is almost 40 years ago, the large Aero Ektars, 3 or 4 12 inch f/2.5, single 24 inch f/6 and single 8 inch f/1.5 that I had didn't have this problem, although I could be mistaken.

I never saw a 6 inch f/2.5 or 48 inch f/6.3 Aero Ektar in England.

I have unfortunately seen hundreds of lenses and binoculars with various types of fungus.
I think that indeed the 10x42 SE here has the start of moisture effects getting past the edge of the objective and probably into the balsam. The edge of the objective may also show signs.

If it was my binocular, I would try to inspect every lens and prism surface for signs of haze, moisture or fungus.
It may be wise of Nikon if they just offer a replacement waterproof binocular.

With old British lenses from the mid 1800s onwards I rarely saw fungus. And fungus from uncoated lenses using simple glasses often simply wiped off.

When more exotic glass types came into use, fungus became a problem.

There is also devitrification of glass, but usually from old glass say one hundred years old.
The 1800s Northumberland refractor became unusable. Jim Hysom made a nice 12 inch f/20 approx. new objective using selected glass. The telescope is now used regularly.

Why stained glass windows last centuries, I don't know. Probably the metals in the glass?

Nothing is guaranteed for life, however if that includes getting a sub-par replacement glass as part of the guarantee one could say so. Nothing against the HG Monarch, but when Nikon said they would replace my SE 12X50 with that, I said no and they sent it back, all mine needed was some light internal cleaning, no fungus just light haze.
Nikon is not servicing their premier archived glass anymore, the SEs are porros so hope is not lost unless one needs a specific part. When it comes to EDGs who knows, just hope I never need service on those. I am happy I never bought a WX, whew.
I will stick with Swarovski, Leica, Zeiss and Meopta in the future. Even if Nikon makes another premier glass like the EDG, I am not going to go there.

Andy W.

Last edited:
Thanks MandoBear.

I suppose we could mount binocular optics in lead, but not nowadays.
Is it so, that some water pipes are still lead?

I just looked at a box of ten now rare 24.5mm eyepieces and a star diagonal.
24.5mm eyepieces fit all sorts of scopes that can't take larger eyepieces.
Such as the Pentax 500mm mirror scope with 45 degree angled back. This back fits any T2 mount lens or scope body.

I doubled the asking price, which seemed ridiculously low.
The were sold as in good condition.
However, it turned out that they were in about the worst condition I have seen.
Some have fungus all over, some edge fungus, some just filthy with dust and longish thin particles.

I cleaned one by taking it apart, but I gave up on the others.

One of the few eyepieces I dropped in the dark long ago was a Swift Triplane that I liked. There is one in this box but maybe a different focal length.

Then the 4mm Swift ortho. There is one in this box as well as other Swift eyepieces.
The 4mm Swift orthos I had were great, except that two of the three were radioactive, and in the rear element.
This is almost touching the eye, and alpha particles can jump this gap.

I have just banished this plastic container to a far corner, as I am not likely to deal with them.
But yes, some have edge fungus.
I have seen this also fairly often in lenses.

I should really just chuck fungus affected optics.

*10x42 SE Update*

Received an email from Nikon customer services yesterday.

The email states that Nikon cleaned the "fungus" from the edge of the element, checked infinity focus, re-aligned etc. All free of charge.

They'll be delivered today so looking forward to get them back!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190321-200023_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20190321-200023_Drive.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 40
Congrats on getting it fixed, Nikon USA would have replaced the bino, never even a second thought. Unfortunately Nikon will not service them here in the US, my how some companies have fallen.

Andy W.

After inspecting the binoculars it looks like Nikon UK did a good job.

Interesting that they identified it as fungus (a Nikon dealer told me that a camera lens with fungus is not covered under warranty).

Not sure if they had to separate the glass to do this but the blue staining that some thought was probably between the cemented elements has gone.

They'll be stored in the soft Nikon pouch in future, NOT the peli airtight case!

Last edited:
Congrats on getting it fixed, Nikon USA would have replaced the bino, never even a second thought. Unfortunately Nikon will not service them here in the US, my how some companies have fallen.

Andy W.

AFAIK Nikon no longer has a service facility in the USA. They had one years back in California. I never needed any work on mine but I was able to get replacement eye cups for my E2s and SEs from them.

I'm sure that is the result of a dirth of qualified binocular technicians in the USA.

I have an 8x30 E2 I am preparing to send to Cory Suddarth for collimation.

Bob

Ukorim, that is excellent news.

The 2.5 hours labour is probably £200 plus, but done under warranty.

Nikon in the U.K. used to have a very strong team of technicians for professional cameras, so maybe they still do.
It seems that they still have very good binocular techs.

Canon also had a strong team.
The local Canon service centre seems to be very good if one gets a good technician.
I just hope that younger technicians take up this work.

It really is down to the individual technician doing the job.
This type of repair was routine, but maybe not nowadays, when replacement may be easier.

It would be speculation as to how they dealt with the fungus.
But it seems that they cleaned other optical surfaces, which may also have had the beginnings of moisture effects.
I don't know if they dismantled the eyepieces or just cleaned the easy surfaces.

The binocular should not be stored near the kitchen or bathroom.
The case should be loosely fastened.
If possible the humidity should be 40% or less, but not higher than 60%, and not too cold or too hot.
Also occasional use is probably better than no use.

I don't know if Fixation do binocular repairs. They have a good reputation for professional camera work.

B.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back