• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Fledgling Pigeon In Garden. (1 Viewer)

Emmie

Hello there. I am new and just in need of some advice. Apologies if I am posting in the wrong place.

Two weeks ago I heard a noise that sounded like a bird was caught by one of our cats. Rushing out to the garden, there was a bird and he was walking towards the out house, one cat looking on (not that interested thankfully). This bird was a Pigeon - a very young Pigeon (a fledgling). He remained in the out house for 3 hours (I left him alone to calm while I figured out the next step).

Later that evening I went out to check on him and he was nowhere to be seen, then I saw his head in a plant pot! So he was safe - phew. I had kept the cats indoors since he entered the shed so I knew he'd be okay. He wasn't injured, he was just not fully flighted.

To cut it short, it's now been 2 weeks and he has remained in the garden - mostly sat on top of the barbecue lid during the day, and roosting on the window ledge at night. I had to go out and clean up as there was a lot of poo each day, and he jumped on to my hand (I wore an oven glove) and I was able to pop him on a tree branch while I cleaned. A very sweet guy!

I had put water out for him from day one and replaced it with fresh every day - he always drank it. I didn't feed him at first as I was told the mother may still be feeding him, and judging from all the poop he was being fed! I did then try some muesli soaked in water, as that was all I had that I thought suitable. I wanted him to have some food source just in case he wasn't being fed (this was early on). I then realised he was being fed as of the poop, and plus he would fly up to the outhouse roof each day (same time) where the mum would feed him. Then he would fly back to the barbecue.

He has been pruning and chirping and pottering around just fine over the last 2 weeks.

Today I went out and he was on the out house roof (he's been making his way up there every day). I looked up and saw, what looked like all his family, above on the house roof cheering him on to fly up to them! It still seems that he isn't fully flighted as he can't seem to mange any higher than the outhouse - this is about 8ft from barbecue and a height of 8ft.

His yellow feathers have now gone (he had a few at the start) and his beak is more formed (not so knobbly). I put seed and meal worms out occasionally, as I am now not sure if the mother is feeding him.

Any advice on next steps would be greatly appreciated.

The problem is, my cats have been shut in for the past 2 weeks and are eager to get out in the garden (plus I am not liking the litter trays being indoors, ha). Also the Pigeon poop is increasing and it's a lot of hosing and scrubbing each day. Having said that, I am all for giving him as much time as he needs, but how soon do you think it will be until he'll be on his way? And is there a chance he may never leave? I mean, okay, he'll soon be off for mating and food etc, but will he always come back?

Years ago my elderly neighbours had Homing Pigeons and I wonder if he, and the others, (we've always had Pigeons around that roost in the Honeysuckle) are descendants? I'll kind of miss him when he's gone but I have cats so he can't stay much longer! :cat:

Thank you for any help!

I can attach photos.

Last edited:
Hi there and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum :t:

We're glad you found us and thanks for taking a moment to say hello. Please join in wherever you like ;)

Sounds like you have done everything right. Is it possible to place it somewhere away from your garden where the cats can't get to him. Or perhaps you could call your local wildlife association and ask them if they could take it because of the cats. Breeding time for the birds is the best time to keep cats indoors as there are many fledglings on the ground.

Hello KC Foggin!

Thank you very much for a quick reply.

I had thought about contacting the RSPB but didn't want him separated from his mum (she was still around). But now it's been 2 weeks, just over, maybe I should. I'll give them a call.

I did consider popping him over the wall, but I suspect he'll fly back.

Hi Emmie and a warm welcome from me too.

It does seem rather a long time to not be flying and properly independant.

Rather than the RSPB, one of the local wildlife rescue places, like Secret World, though I don't know where in Devon you are - there are a few other options.

Please let us know how you get on.

Hi, Emmie.

That bit about all of his family cheering him on melted my heart.
Do please come back to tell us how the story ended.

Best wishes,
Alex.

Hector (the Pigeon).

Thank you all...

Well celebrations :D

This morning we ventured out to the garden and "Hector" (what we named him) was no where to be seen. We looked up and .....

He made it up to the house roof! Whether he'll come back again is uncertain (maybe he will to roost on the barbecue :D ) but right now it seems he has conquered his flying!!:clap

You may have to zoom in, but he's right in front of the chimney, and has been there since early this morning. Well-done Hector!!

Attachments

• 20190901_095027 - Edited.jpg
    20190901_095027 - Edited.jpg
    226.4 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Hi, Emmie.

That bit about all of his family cheering him on melted my heart.
Do please come back to tell us how the story ended.

Best wishes,
Alex.

Mine too :) Yes it really was like they were all rooting for him. About 6 Pigeons sat in a row on the roof above him looking down at him - and him looking up :loveme:

Last edited:
Hi Emmie.... thanks so much for the update. Great news indeed. Good luck to Hector now.

I can't see your picture, if you're having difficulty uploading it, please let me know and I'll talk you through it.

Hi, Emmie.

I can see him. The little Champ
looks well. Thanks for coming back to
tell us. You've made my weekend.

Very best wishes,
Alex.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back