• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Doubler/Booster Recommendation Please (1 Viewer)

Hello All,

In case anyone is interested in my quest for ever increasing magnification; I bought a doubler from Vortex and returned it after a week of use.

The doubler was nice. It was compact, metal, Japanese construction with a plastic, twist-up eyepiece. It fit snugly over the eyepiece on my SLCs and loosely over my 2018 Vipers.

I just had to see for myself, but everything that people have said on these forums about a dark and narrow view was true. Even so, I didn't mind too much because I wasn't expecting perfection. It did extend the reach of both pairs of binoculars that it was coupled with and I could resolve objects at a further distance. The real problem (as I came to find out) was that I do not care for one-eyed viewing at all. My head and eyes would feel weird for an hour after using it for only a few minutes. Maybe I didn't have the technique, I am not really sure. I may try again with two of them, but that is for some other time.

After all your generous suggestions it came down to availability. The Vortex was simply easier for me to find then the Kite or the Opticron and the Zeiss was just too expensive to buy on a lark.

Thanks to everyone who made a suggestion.

-as you were, q

Thanks for reporting back, q, nice to read your findings.

I have a 2.5X booster that I tried with the SLC 15X56, but for me the loss in brightness and contrast seems to negate the gains in magnification, so I rarely take the booster with me. If I really nead more magnification I can always use my 8x bins to boost magnification to 120X

George

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back