• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Two backyard birds - North Carolina, USA (1 Viewer)

'Card

High-Tech Hillbilly
Two birds I need some ID help with. Both photographed in Johnston County, North Carolina, USA. Both shots were taken within the last week.

Photo 1
I'm fairly certain this bird is a Brown Thrasher, due to the brown streaks on the chest and the yellow eyes. He's a big bird, though. As large as, if not larger than a Blue Jay. I'm new to this but I've gotten the impression from my reading that Brown Thrashers should be smaller. And does anyone know what that thing is stuck on his face?

Photo 2
I have no idea what this little guy is. It's superficially similar to the horde of sparrows in the back yard, but this is the only one with yellow spots like that.

Any help would be much appreciated.

I think the pink we see is the bird's skin, especially since it seems to extend back below the eye and under the feathers at the front. Any ticks I've seen were greyer than that as well. That doesn't eliminate the possiblility that there is a parasite involved, but the pink swelling in my mind is definately bird.

Scott

tarzzz said:
Very beutiful bird that Yellow Rumped Warbler...

//Ben

Not a very beautiful name, though, huh? :D

Don't know why they had to get rid of both the names "Myrtle" and "Audubon's" as far as species go - they were pretty nice sounding - just pick one instead of blatantly stating, "yeah, it's gotta yellow butt."

overworkedirish said:
Not a very beautiful name, though, huh? :D

Don't know why they had to get rid of both the names "Myrtle" and "Audubon's" as far as species go - they were pretty nice sounding - just pick one instead of blatantly stating, "yeah, it's gotta yellow butt."
:-O :-O

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back