• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Jackdaws in my Tawny box (1 Viewer)

vilbs

Hi there. I bought a lovely big tawny owl box from the rspb site and installed it up a tree. 3 months later and a family of Jackdaws have moved in. So my question is, is that it? Will it now always be occupied by the Jackdaws (whether same family or different sets) or is there a chance at a later date that some Tawnies take it over?

Thanks!

Hi vilbs

I can't help you with any particular knowledge. However, I do think that you provide a habitat, feeder, nest box or whatever and whatever wildlife appreciates it will move in and take advantage.

Enjoy what comes.

However, it doesn't mean that Jackdaws will always make use of your box. If there are Tawny Owls in the area, they'll surely investigate, and if they like where you've put it may well move in.

Good luck.

Hi,

Will it now always be occupied by the Jackdaws (whether same family or different sets) or is there a chance at a later date that some Tawnies take it over?

I'd think that Tawny Owls, being much stronger than Jackdaws, will probably be able to claim the nest when they feel like it.

It seems that Tawny Owls are long-lived and don't like to move, ever, so I'd guess that it could be a while before an owl might even consider the new nesting opportunity. (If there's an established territory at your site.)

It appears that the male scouts potential nests, and the female decides on which one to use.

Regards,

Henning

Ah OK. Thanks Delia and Henning. Yes I appreciate any wildlife so Jackdaws or Tawnies I will be very happy.
Thanks again for in the info.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back