Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Mallorca 2019

Old Monday 11th February 2019, 15:27   #151
Mike Montier

Most of the Red-breasted Mergansers this year have been long-stayers so I guess most people have been able to catch up with them.
I watched one today very close in at Cuitat Jardí. They really are a very smart bird.
Mike
Old Monday 11th February 2019, 19:31   #152
TonyCath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josep Manchado View Post
Tony, this is not a Road Map, but it is a map with all the roads and the 75 best points for birding in Majorca and the main species in each birdingpoint,

http://www.birdingmajorca.com/en/boo...irdingmap.html

you can buy it at Albufera reception office.
Thanks Pep, we will purchase this when we visit Albufera.
Tony and Cath
Old Monday 11th February 2019, 20:23   #153
Mike Montier

That’s great Tony.
I can thoroughly recommend the map, it is very up to date and shows many sites I didn’t know about so I use mine all the time.
It’s also great for finding specific species so it’s well worth it.
I know they sell it at Albufera and it’s also available online I’m sure.
Mike
Old Monday 11th February 2019, 22:10   #154
timsg80
Gregor Tims

I saw my first Balearic Warbler at the Boquer Valley today, thanks everyone for the assistance (back in January!) with where to find them. Also Blue Rock Thrush and Booted Eagle there. Quick look at Albufereta on the way home, was surprised to find 3 Little Ringed Plovers there! Also two Common Sandpipers, Osprey, multiple Marsh Harriers, lots of ducks and LOADS of Chiffchaffs. But sadly no Flamingos...

gregorsbirdblog.blogspot.com
Old Monday 11th February 2019, 23:40   #155
GiG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Sweetland View Post
Excited about coming to Mallorca for the first time in two weeks. It's a family holiday, but should be able to fit in some birding. I have a burning question, which is how long a walk is it roughly, to the Balearic Warbler zone in the Boquer Valley, from the nearest parking area? We'll have a 5 year old with us, so distance and difficulty of the trail could be an issue.
Others have mentioned time to walk to the area and I'd agree with that. When I visited in June 2014 I took a generally relaxed stroll early morning. My photos show I got there at 05:00 and left just after 07:15. I had to walk back to the far end of Puerto Pollensa to get to my hotel for breakfast! It took around 40-45 minutes to get my first sighting of Balearic Warbler.

Attached are some photos of the morning including one that shows what the track is like towards the start and another further in (3rd photo, the track is on the left and not so rocky).

Enjoy your trip, I really enjoyed my visits to Mallorca and had some great birding.

Gi
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bocquer valley entrance.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	427.1 KB
ID:	687003  Click image for larger version

Name:	Bocquer valley track.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	478.6 KB
ID:	687004  Click image for larger version

Name:	Bocquer valley track_1.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	513.5 KB
ID:	687007  Click image for larger version

Name:	Balearic Warbler.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	621.7 KB
ID:	687008  Click image for larger version

Name:	Cirl Bunting.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	567.6 KB
ID:	687009  

Old Tuesday 12th February 2019, 13:48   #156
Larry Sweetland
Formerly 'Larry Wheatland'

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiG View Post
Others have mentioned time to walk to the area and I'd agree with that. When I visited in June 2014 I took a generally relaxed stroll early morning. My photos show I got there at 05:00 and left just after 07:15. I had to walk back to the far end of Puerto Pollensa to get to my hotel for breakfast! It took around 40-45 minutes to get my first sighting of Balearic Warbler.

Attached are some photos of the morning including one that shows what the track is like towards the start and another further in (3rd photo, the track is on the left and not so rocky).

Enjoy your trip, I really enjoyed my visits to Mallorca and had some great birding.

Gi
Thanks Gi, that's great info I'm struggling to see why the warbler isn't a Sardinian though?
Old Tuesday 12th February 2019, 16:47   #157
honeym

From your pics at looks like erosion is still a major issue in the Boquer. When I first went there the path was little more than one person wide - but that was before the huge increase in large walking groups, and before most of the development at the start of the walk.
Old Tuesday 12th February 2019, 20:05   #158
Mcnswiss2

A great day with Kevin and Geordie Dave to S’Albufera, Depuradora and S’ Amarador.
Usual birds seen included, Night Herons, Cattle Egrets, Red crested Pochards, Booted Eagles, Kestrels, Marsh Harriers, Moustached Warbler, Avocets, Black Winged Stilts, Kentish and Ringed Plover, common Snipe, Greenhank, RedShank, Common, Wood and Green sandpipers etc.

The highlights included Osprey drinking infront of the hide, Swarm of Starlings in the evening light, and stonking views of Male Hen Harrier.

Thanks guys for a memorable day

Mike

Mike
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1DC836A5-F0E5-432F-A675-A21B4D7EE522.jpeg
Views:	24
Size:	166.5 KB
ID:	687058  Click image for larger version

Name:	F9308F9A-38BA-4B51-9F91-16EFD4E9E5DA.jpeg
Views:	10
Size:	415.5 KB
ID:	687059  Click image for larger version

Name:	7C57FFD9-27BA-439A-AD27-11BD6AEE1D12.jpeg
Size:	366.5 KB
ID:	687060  Click image for larger version

Name:	6B074431-045B-48BE-ADEA-291F439130B5.jpeg
Views:	17
Size:	276.3 KB
ID:	687061  Click image for larger version

Name:	57901561-571D-43F1-A0E9-983DBA048FF6.jpeg
Views:	20
Size:	177.1 KB
ID:	687062  

Old Tuesday 12th February 2019, 20:26   #159
Mike Montier

Martin. I obviously don’t know as much as the locals and hopefully they will comment, but I have been very shocked by the erosion of the path through the Boquer valley.
Every time I go there I notice just how popular this walk is. Therein lies the dilemma. We want people to be interested in nature and to enjoy the countryside but when they come in their droves, problems begin to arise. I don’t know what the solution is but I do now try to walk other parts of Mallorca rather than the well-worn paths and Boquer is one place I avoid.
Glad you three had a nice day Mike, I wish I had been there with you.
Mike
Old Tuesday 12th February 2019, 22:29   #160
Mcnswiss2

Apparently the owner of Bocquer Valley threatened to close it because of the erosion. Not sure if this was to get funding or not!
Old Wednesday 13th February 2019, 07:12   #161
Josep Manchado
(Pep)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcnswiss2 View Post
Apparently the owner of Bocquer Valley threatened to close it because of the erosion. Not sure if this was to get funding or not!
The owner of Boquer is not the owner of the path, as the owner of lands besides a road or street are not owners of the streets.
It is a public path, so nobody but authorities may close it.
Old Wednesday 13th February 2019, 08:29   #162
Mike Montier

Thank you Pep.
I looked into this many years ago when I was told that the path was to close. Pep is quite correct in that the path is a public footpath and always will be so it cannot be closed thank goodness.
The problem is erosion with the amount of walkers visiting The Valley. I have read a lot about the Lake District in the UK where over ten million visitors every year cause so much damage to the environment. The solutions are only temporary in that they repair many paths and walkways but this requires continual maintenance.
I’m not sure what the Mallorcan authorities feel about this as they may take a different stance to the UK, I don’t know.
It’s such a beautiful walk with magnificent views at the end so I hope a solution is found so that we can all continue to enjoy the beauty of the Island.
Mike
Old Wednesday 13th February 2019, 12:43   #163
LaGola
Ornithological tourism center

Good morning,
Here in the Bird Centre you can get the Systematic List of Mallorcan Birds and their Status (English/German version).

And I attach the birds seen this morning in the Park.

Regards,
Cristina.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	100_2754.JPG
Views:	30
Size:	142.6 KB
ID:	687102  Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2755.JPG
Views:	36
Size:	211.6 KB
ID:	687103  
Carrer Temple Fielding, s/n - 07470 Port de Pollença
Old Wednesday 13th February 2019, 13:01   #164
LaGola
Ornithological tourism center

Hello again!
s'Albufereta Reserve already has bird list. You can find it following this link:
http://en.balearsnatura.com/parque_n...fereta/#quever

And s'Albufera Natural Park birdlist:
http://en.balearsnatura.com/parque_n...llorca/#quever

I have seen that they are not updated very often but, anyway, is another information that it's accessible. Now in the CTO we have some copies of the s'Albufereta birdlist from15th-31st of January.

Cheers,
Cristina.
Carrer Temple Fielding, s/n - 07470 Port de Pollença
Old Wednesday 13th February 2019, 15:57   #165
Mcnswiss2

Thanks Christina for very useful info.

A pleasent walk up Puig de Sant Marti this morning.

Quiet on the bird front but must be good for migration.

Birds seen included Ravens, Kestrels, Crossbills, Serins, Goldfinches, Song Thrush, Sardinian Warblers, Great tits and Firecrests.

First orchid seen as well as Hummingbird Hawk Moth, Speckled wood and Cleopatra Butterfly.

Mike
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	889035D3-211B-43DB-B959-1CEA491B3999.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	182.0 KB
ID:	687119  Click image for larger version

Name:	5528B6B1-970D-4526-8B17-CEA765508FE2.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	501.0 KB
ID:	687120  Click image for larger version

Name:	48D3CA2C-0184-491F-B8DF-7AD2498633AB.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	270.4 KB
ID:	687121  Click image for larger version

Name:	9F1B760E-4955-4234-AC93-E9BFE8A759D8.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	445.9 KB
ID:	687123  
Old Wednesday 13th February 2019, 19:11   #166
Geordie Dave

Had a thoroughly entertaining day with Mike Swiss and Kevin yesterday in and around Albufera. Highlight was a 15 minute viewing of a close by male hen harrier hunting over the fields in front of Es Cibollar 2 hide and an osprey paddling in front of Sa Roca hide. And so to today... around 12 stone curlew in first field on the right on Llenaire road just in from the roundabout on main road bypass. Then spent a few hours at Son Real. Not sure if I only go there for the walk, scenery and the shoreline as I don't seem to see many birds there but do enjoy the circuit walk of the reserve out by the blue route and back via the red route. Female crossbill at drinking pond, Balearic warbler at the coast near viewing platform, hoopoe and thekla lark being the main events of an otherwise quiet day
David
Old Wednesday 13th February 2019, 22:20   #167
StewB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Montier View Post
Thank you Pep.
I looked into this many years ago when I was told that the path was to close. Pep is quite correct in that the path is a public footpath and always will be so it cannot be closed thank goodness.
The problem is erosion with the amount of walkers visiting The Valley. I have read a lot about the Lake District in the UK where over ten million visitors every year cause so much damage to the environment. The solutions are only temporary in that they repair many paths and walkways but this requires continual maintenance.
I’m not sure what the Mallorcan authorities feel about this as they may take a different stance to the UK, I don’t know.
It’s such a beautiful walk with magnificent views at the end so I hope a solution is found so that we can all continue to enjoy the beauty of the Island.
Mike
I agree that there is a lot of visitor pressure, from us birders as well as walkers, runners and more casual visitors (I’m always amazed to see people walking the valley in flip-flops!), but I think some of the erosion is also down to water damage and other causes. There are some deep runnels along and across some parts of the path which appear to be the result of running water, and of course there are goat trails too. (Although is it my imagination, or are there fewer goats in the valley in recent years?).

And don’t get me started on those horrible piles of stones that keep springing up.. (I think they are worse than graffiti, and must confess that I knock them down).

The Bocquer is quite a contrast to other local birding sites - the Albufereta, C’an Cuarassa and La Gola are examples of fantastic conservation efforts with brilliant (free!) visitor access, which I believe could teach us in the UK a great deal.

Sorry for rambling on!

Stew
Old Wednesday 13th February 2019, 22:32   #168
honeym

Quote:
Originally Posted by StewB View Post
And don’t get me started on those horrible piles of stones that keep springing up.. (I think they are worse than graffiti, and must confess that I knock them down).
Stew
Old Thursday 14th February 2019, 14:47   #169
Mcnswiss2

After all the Bocquer discussions, I needed to go and kick pointless Cairns.
There was at least 14 Cars in the carpark. The valley is a great tourist attraction that should be maintained.
The Birds seen there are also great. Booted Eagles, Kestrels, Audouin gulls, Ravens, Blue Rock Thrushes, Sardinian Warblers, Blackredstarts and Wryneck seen today.
Did destroy two piles of Stones!
A visit to postage stamp wood to hunt StewBs dunnock followed but this clearlywas fake news!
The wood has been cleared up and paths are good however people are still dumping rubbish there.
This still looks a great site for the Spring.

Mike
Old Thursday 14th February 2019, 16:07   #170
Larry Sweetland

Quote:
After all the Bocquer discussions, I needed to go and kick pointless Cairns.
There was at least 14 Cars in the carpark. The valley is a great tourist attraction that should be maintained.
The Birds seen there are also great. Booted Eagles, Kestrels, Audouin gulls, Ravens, Blue Rock Thrushes, Sardinian Warblers, Blackredstarts and Wryneck seen today.
Did destroy two piles of Stones!

Mike
So no Balearic Warblers today Mike?
Old Thursday 14th February 2019, 17:09   #171
Mcnswiss2

Hi Larry,

Did not go down to the end where the balearic warblers normally are.Too lazy.

As Geordie Dave reported ..around 12 stone curlew still in first field on the right on Llenaire road just in from the roundabout on main road bypass. They are hidden in the grass and seem to enjoy the company of sheep.

Mike
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2F808A20-AC92-4D03-89D0-694F555C950E.jpeg
Size:	281.9 KB
ID:	687187  Click image for larger version

Name:	B9CC7E4F-ADF7-41D7-8146-5DE0E7310FA8.jpeg
Views:	23
Size:	528.6 KB
ID:	687188  Click image for larger version

Name:	706AC72B-A99A-4134-B5C7-8B06C35CA852.jpeg
Views:	27
Size:	474.7 KB
ID:	687189  
Old Thursday 14th February 2019, 17:35   #172
Larry Sweetland

Quote:
Hi Larry,

Did not go down to the end where the balearic warblers normally are.Too lazy.

Mike
Phew, just starting to get fidgety, as only a few days to wait now :)
Old Thursday 14th February 2019, 17:37   #173
timsg80
Gregor Tims

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Sweetland View Post
Phew, just starting to get fidgety, as only a few days to wait now :)
Don't worry- I had a fantastic sighting of one there a couple of days ago!!

gregorsbirdblog.blogspot.com
Old Thursday 14th February 2019, 17:45   #174
Mcnswiss2

Larry, let me know when you are here..I can take you to Fishermans walk in Cala Sa Vincente if you dip in Bocquer ( hopefully not)
Mike
Old Thursday 14th February 2019, 18:08   #175
Geordie Dave

Took a trip down south today, started at Cap de ses Salines. Red kite over the approach road, quite a few shearwaters in small groups mainly heading west to east, single oyster catcher in off the sea and 2 auduoins gulls. On to the salt pans at Salaobrar de Campos and a walk along Eddies track. Counted 44 flamingos in the ponds to the left of the track going down about level with the small shack with 2 windows. Also a group of 11 cranes circling the ponds. Plenty of booted eagles and marsh harriers around. Followed the road towards Es Trenc, plenty of Kentish plover and black winged stilts around together with little stints. Finished off at polo fields, other than hoopoe and black redstarts not a lot about
David
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: