Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

The P1000 is big

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Wednesday 12th September 2018, 06:29   #26
nikonmike

Quote:
Originally Posted by poledark View Post
First impressions..............yep, it is big.....and the EVF is bright and sharp...very nice, menus can be displayed in it as well as the main screen. Got to say it again, the EVF is bright and sharp, worlds ahead of the P900.

No charger with it though! battery has to be charged in camera........not happy with that, although you can take pics while it is charging, not a lot of use in the garden :)

Can easily buy spare batteries and charger so that problem is solved.....shouldn't have to though.

Fully overcast sky but comparing the P900 at 2000mm to the P1000 at 2000mm I would say the image is better. This is just a very first look, so will be doing some more tests tomorrow. my standard church spire and power pole at 300yds and 400yds came out well. Macros of bugs on pond were excellent..........but it is a bit of a lump.

Funny isn't it, Nikon supply a lens hood but no battery charger, I know which is more useful

Anyone got any ideas about editing the Raw images please, got Windows 10 and an old version of PS 4.
I downloaded the Nikonraw file software but can't find any way to import the raw files to it (or any other files come to that)

Den
I still use Nikon view nx to download Nikon files, if you click the transfer button top left you get this
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	184.3 KB
ID:	673930  
Sigma 100-400
Old Wednesday 12th September 2018, 08:45   #27
HermitIbis

Quote:
Anyone got any ideas about editing the Raw images please, got Windows 10 and an old version of PS 4.
Thanks for your first impressions - sounds good!
I use the raw editor DxO Optics Pro 11 for those NEF files. Now and then the DxO company offers this older version of their software for free, last time in July. It's available from ebay for little money. Its Prime module takes almost a minute per image, but reduces noise very efficiently. The resulting DNG files can be handled by PS.
The raw files generated by the Canon SX50 were hardly better than a jpeg. If the P1000 creates NEF files, it should be the real stuff (I hope).
Old Wednesday 12th September 2018, 09:31   #28
poledark

Thanks for help Mike, as always, you are the font of knowledge for Nikon. I should have read the manual, first page is headed "read this first" I skipped past that, as you do!

D/Loaded 4 lots of stuff, so at least I can get the pics on to the PC, will learn to fiddle with them over the next week or so (I hope)

Two spare batteries and charger on their way, 17 from amazon, hope they work.

Peeing with rain right now, but may get out in the garden later, had 2 owls in the garden last night so will search for more "pellets"

once again, thanks a lot :)

Den
Old Thursday 13th September 2018, 18:27   #29
nikonmike

Quote:
First impressions..............yep, it is big.....and the EVF is bright and sharp...very nice, menus can be displayed in it as well as the main screen. Got to say it again, the EVF is bright and sharp, worlds ahead of the P900.

No charger with it though! battery has to be charged in camera........not happy with that, although you can take pics while it is charging, not a lot of use in the garden :)

Can easily buy spare batteries and charger so that problem is solved.....shouldn't have to though.

Fully overcast sky but comparing the P900 at 2000mm to the P1000 at 2000mm I would say the image is better. This is just a very first look, so will be doing some more tests tomorrow. my standard church spire and power pole at 300yds and 400yds came out well. Macros of bugs on pond were excellent..........but it is a bit of a lump.

Funny isn't it, Nikon supply a lens hood but no battery charger, I know which is more useful

I downloaded the Nikonraw file software but can't find any way to import the raw files to it (or any other files come to that)

Den
Just seen this P1000 support

https://nikonrumors.com/2018/09/13/n...-feature.aspx/
Sigma 100-400
Old Thursday 13th September 2018, 18:39   #30
poledark

I have a very strong feeling I won't be messing about with Raw :) Good old PS and jpegs will do all I want for editing dodgy pics.

Had a good session in the garden today, playing around with different settings...quite like target finding AF, picks out objects (birds and flowers) from among a jumble of other foliage. Very useful I hope for BIF.

Getting used to the weight, but hand held at 3000 is difficult, 2000 OK as with the P900. I do like that EVF (did I say that before? )

Had to stop as battery had run out.......

Den
Old Thursday 13th September 2018, 19:01   #31
nikonmike

Quote:
I have a very strong feeling I won't be messing about with Raw :) Good old PS and jpegs will do all I want for editing dodgy pics.

Had a good session in the garden today, playing around with different settings...quite like target finding AF, picks out objects (birds and flowers) from among a jumble of other foliage. Very useful I hope for BIF.

Getting used to the weight, but hand held at 3000 is difficult, 2000 OK as with the P900. I do like that EVF (did I say that before? )

Had to stop as battery had run out.......

Den
I found the jpeg on the P900 was good and did think it would be on the P1000, dont blame you.
Sigma 100-400
Old Friday 14th September 2018, 08:23   #32
poledark

The large ring at front of lens is a great improvement...switch to MF and focus with that ring. Never really got to grips with the manual focus on the P900 but this is a doddle :)

Den
Old Friday 14th September 2018, 15:13   #33
Bird_Huszar

Have you tried it on planets? Apparently you can get some decent shots of Mars, Jupiter, Venus and Saturn with the P900...I have to assume the P1000 would be even better.

You can get a star tracker app on your phone to track where the planets are and there are tutorials on youtube on how to get the best shots (videos and pictures) of the planets. You'll need a tripod though and preferably a remote to zoom and snap the pics to avoid shake/movement.
Old Friday 14th September 2018, 15:44   #34
poledark

I used to get excellent results with an 80mm scope/20x eyepiece and 10x video camera. Jupiter's moons came out well.
Might give the 1000 a go soon, Kenco UV filter and two spare batteries and charging lead came today so will be off to Sandwich tomorrow if weather is dry.

Spent a couple of hours making a base plate/tripod mount, not to sure the small standard quick release plate is OK with the extra weight and overhang, new base supports the whole of the camera base except the battery case, so feel a lot happier.

Left arm aches a bit, will be like Popeye soon

Den

Last edited by poledark : Friday 14th September 2018 at 15:49. Reason: added
Old Monday 17th September 2018, 01:23   #35
njlarsen
Opus Editor

Quote:
The large ring at front of lens is a great improvement...switch to MF and focus with that ring. Never really got to grips with the manual focus on the P900 but this is a doddle :)

Den
Do you need to do a physical switch of a setting each time? On my Pana, it is a one time switch to AF+MF, letting me use AF but overriding it whenever I start turning the focus ring.

Niels

Just moved to Barbados

BF Supporter 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 17th September 2018, 08:35   #36
John Cantelo

Quote:
I used to get excellent results with an 80mm scope/20x eyepiece and 10x video camera. Jupiter's moons came out well.
Might give the 1000 a go soon, Kenco UV filter and two spare batteries and charging lead came today so will be off to Sandwich tomorrow if weather is dry.

Spent a couple of hours making a base plate/tripod mount, not to sure the small standard quick release plate is OK with the extra weight and overhang, new base supports the whole of the camera base except the battery case, so feel a lot happier.

Left arm aches a bit, will be like Popeye soon

Den
Walking the circuit around Stodmarsh rather than popping down to Sandwich might be a more interesting test first of the bulk/weight of the camera and second of whether you can get good shots of birds like Marsh Harrier in flight.

Please support Andalucia Bird Society www.andalusiabirdsociety.org Visit my website & blog on birding in SW Spain at http://birdingcadizprovince.weebly.com/
Old Monday 17th September 2018, 09:13   #37
poledark

Hi John, the old legs are not up to much walking, but I can still get around. I am familiar with Sandwich so decided to go there and check out the hide and then the woods and beach (from the car)

Have to say I was very disappointed, couldn't seem to get a single decent shot. Bearing in mind I was familiar with the results with the 900 so expected at least the same.

When I got the 1000 I did some quick hand held shots, auto, at zooms of 2000 to compare with the P900 and was very pleased. a day or two later (Sat) I couldn't get a decent pic of anything and began to think I had a dud.
So I googled for help and decided to start again, good light this morning, clear air, no perceptible heat haze. Tripod, remote, manual focus, power pole 175 yards away. super pics, bearing in mind the distance, I could see the grain on the pole sharply at 1200mm and 2000mm, and a bit fuzzy at 3000mm. I don't expect to much from 3000mm, but am now a lot happier with the rest of the performance.

Niels, there is a dedicated switch for manual and the peaking works really well within the range of 5mtrs or so up to 120mtrs as tested this morning. Tried it on some rooks on the ground at 150yds and on checking I had focussed just in front of the bird, so some practise needed.

A lot happier now :)

Den

Last edited by poledark : Monday 17th September 2018 at 09:21.
Old Monday 17th September 2018, 16:20   #38
John Cantelo

Sorry to hear your legs aren't up to staggering around Stodmarsh. A visit to wader hotspot Oare, nr Faversham (which has good viewing from the road) would be an interesting test of the camera.

Please support Andalucia Bird Society www.andalusiabirdsociety.org Visit my website & blog on birding in SW Spain at http://birdingcadizprovince.weebly.com/
Old Monday 17th September 2018, 17:29   #39
poledark

Probably going there on Thursday, wife and two jack Russell's.

Den
Old Tuesday 18th September 2018, 23:53   #40
Arielelf

Ive seen some gr at videos of the zoom capability of this camera. Does anyone know how the magnification would compare to a 20-60x on a 82mm scope? I am usually viewing through my iPhone which is adapted to my scope and it can get a bit cumbersome and fiddly with the iPhone. I was wondering how the p1000 would compare.
Old Wednesday 19th September 2018, 00:58   #41
HermitIbis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arielelf View Post
Ive seen some gr at videos of the zoom capability of this camera. Does anyone know how the magnification would compare to a 20-60x on a 82mm scope? I am usually viewing through my iPhone which is adapted to my scope and it can get a bit cumbersome and fiddly with the iPhone. I was wondering how the p1000 would compare.
Since 50mm on a FF camera is the standard view, a 60-fold magnification would be just the 3000mm equivalent offered by the P1000.
Old Saturday 22nd September 2018, 19:23   #42
poledark

further updates on P1000

Got this shot after chasing the little fella around a rose bush. Dull, overcast, spitting with rain.

700mm,ISO 400 F5.0 cropped from original

Getting used to the weight and the large size now. The bulky barrel makes if a bit tricky picking it up, can't quite wrap my fingers around it, so making sure sling is round my neck before trying to pick it up.

Loving the EVF and getting "on target" first time pretty much all the time now. When I can get the right conditions I will be trying BIF.

Den
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Owlpoo1Original2.JPG
Views:	186
Size:	704.5 KB
ID:	675069  Click image for larger version

Name:	Chiff chaff 2.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	358.5 KB
ID:	675070  

Last edited by poledark : Saturday 22nd September 2018 at 19:45. Reason: added
Old Sunday 23rd September 2018, 13:41   #43
BamBam

Quote:
Two spare batteries and charger on their way, 17 from amazon, hope they work.
Did the charger work and the batteries fit ?
Old Sunday 23rd September 2018, 15:00   #44
poledark

Yes Bambam, both the original Nikon one and both the 3rd party ones charge OK. All three seem to last several hours of messing about. Seem to charge in about 5 hours. Very handy while in garden or conservatory!

Really falling in love with this camera now, all the knobs and dials are so much easier than the P900, and the manual focus is so simple and positive I will be using it quite a lot. Never got to grips with the P900 manual setup.
Seems, only seems, that the picture quality is better than the 900 in the mid range 500 to 1500mm. Getting quite a lot of keepers, some have surprised me!

One thing I have noticed is that the VR must be turned off if using a tripod, never had to do that with the 900.
I have never used a digital SLR so can only comment on the Nikon 880, 900 and now the 1000.

Den
Old Sunday 23rd September 2018, 17:44   #45
BamBam

Thank you Den.
I have one preordered from Clifton Cameras and can't wait for it to come.
It's my first zoom camera so watching this thread and reading on what it can and can't do
and what addons are available for it.
Old Monday 24th September 2018, 19:33   #46
Nick Leech

Can anyone say how the P1000 compares with the P900 for birds at 2000mm equiv?

And is a photo of a bird at 2500-3000mm on the P1000 superior for IQ compared with a P900 at 2000mm cropped to eqivalent focal length/FOV?
Old Monday 24th September 2018, 20:15   #47
poledark

Nick,something I was wondering about. I have both so will do some comparative testing. Not done a side by side test yet, but even if the end results are the same, the 1000 is all round a huge improvement over the 900.

Sun is shining tomorrow so will set up 2 tripods side by side and see what comes out.

Den
Old Monday 24th September 2018, 22:55   #48
Nick Leech

That would be a very interesting test Den! Please post your findings.

A further question. Is the P1000 useable hand-held (without tripod) right up to 3000mm? I use my P900 at 2000mm handeld most of the time.
Old Tuesday 25th September 2018, 10:46   #49
poledark

test shots 900 and 1000

both cameras on remote..... one more to come P1000 at 2000mm
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	900 250mm.JPG
Views:	73
Size:	529.9 KB
ID:	675306  Click image for larger version

Name:	900 700mm.JPG
Views:	52
Size:	615.9 KB
ID:	675307  Click image for larger version

Name:	900 2000mm.JPG
Views:	71
Size:	580.8 KB
ID:	675308  Click image for larger version

Name:	1000 320mm.JPG
Views:	31
Size:	496.2 KB
ID:	675309  Click image for larger version

Name:	1000 650mm.JPG
Views:	44
Size:	558.8 KB
ID:	675310  

Last edited by poledark : Tuesday 25th September 2018 at 10:47. Reason: added
Old Tuesday 25th September 2018, 10:48   #50
poledark

P1000 at 2000

last pic... going to be a tricky getting birds to stay still long enough to change cameras :) Anyone got any ideas? There does seem to be a bit of difference in image size between the 900 at 2000 and the 1000 at 2000.

Nick, you will find a huge improvement in the EVF. it makes chasing the bird so much easier than with the 900. Seems to give me just enough time to find the bird and get the shot, whereas with the 900 by the time I have found the bird it has usually moved :)

I have just spent an hour or so chasing the Chiff Chaf, a good game to keep one busy. I had great difficulty even "getting on the bird" with the 900 but got several good shots with the 1000. No brainer for me, glad I changed, quite a few more improvements but for me the main one has been the EVF

Den
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1000 2000.JPG
Views:	67
Size:	589.1 KB
ID:	675311  

Last edited by poledark : Tuesday 25th September 2018 at 11:44.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: