Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

The P1000 is big

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Wednesday 7th November 2018, 09:35   #101
poledark

Happy with these

A few more from Monday, all about 30yds. Wren and Stonechat 2000mm 1/500 F6.3, Lapwing 1600mm 1/500 F6.3 all handheld

Sitting waiting for more chances at the Whinchat and spotted a tiny bird on the left, swung camera, half press shutter, focus achieved, click. Must admit to some surprise when viewing at home.

If I can replicate that all the time I will be a happy man.

Den
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Nov 5Whinchat6.JPG
Views:	191
Size:	549.0 KB
ID:	679403  Click image for larger version

Name:	Nov 5DSCN3611.JPG
Views:	185
Size:	595.4 KB
ID:	679406  Click image for larger version

Name:	Wren5.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	418.5 KB
ID:	679408  

Last edited by poledark : Wednesday 7th November 2018 at 10:22.
Old Wednesday 7th November 2018, 17:08   #102
Neil G.

Looking good Den.....im tempted to get the 1000.

BF Supporter 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 7th November 2018, 20:42   #103
poledark

Cheers Neil, I have to say that reducing those images does them no justice. The Wren for example; friends who have received the images by email have all commented that "even zoomed in to fill the screen" it was still sharp.

Camera set to P mode, NR Normal, metering Centre weighted, Target finding AF, AF full time.

Having been a fan of Auto, trusting that Nikon know best, I am beginning to understand that sometimes a tweak here or there can help :) and with your expertise "who knows"

Den
Old Wednesday 7th November 2018, 21:00   #104
Neil G.

I know what you mean about the image reduction.....it doesn't do the mighty nikons any justice at all.It seems to me that you are certainly taming the 1000......it's producing some lovely shots.

Old Wednesday 7th November 2018, 21:31   #105
marcsantacurz

Hello all,

I have to admit I'm a bit lazy and reviewing this whole thread is a bit of work. Now that the P1000 has been out for a while, how would you grade it? For perching/stationary? For BIF? At 1000mm or 3000mm? How well does it crop at the ISOs you shoot at?

I've used a P900 casually and it was ok and it cropped a little, but overall I was willing to pay the weight for a DSLR + tamron 150-600 g2 for the added quality. I can crop the DSLR + Tamron to effectively over 3000mm equivalent. Where do you think that balance is with the P1000? What effective focal length can you reasonably crop to?

Thank you!

Marc
Old Wednesday 7th November 2018, 23:18   #106
poledark

Hi Marc, can't answer your question as I have never used a DSLR and long lens. What I can tell you is that the 1000 is capable of producing shots at 3000mm that do not need any cropping, as the birds fill the frame.

I have had mixed results with mine so far, can't seem to get a decent pic in my garden, failed dismally when I first took it out birding, but the last few sessions have produced some (for me) brilliant shots, some of them have even impressed hardened long lens DSLR men :)

And then of course you have to add in the 4k video and macro down to 5cm or so, and all in all, a superb all round camera.
Birds in flight really don't do it for me, waving a camera about firing off bursts of shots and hoping for 1 good one is not my scene, I prefer to creep about quietly looking in the undergrowth/bushes/trees and spotting and getting a shot at various distances. I also sit and wait a lot :)
The 1000 can operate at F6.3 at 2000mm very effectively, one of the main reasons I went for it after my 900. There is no doubt at all that the much larger lens lets in more light, so can operate at wider apertures than the 900. Yes it does shut down to F8 at 3000mm, a point that many "professional" reviewers keep stressing, most don't mention the simple "1 click and turn the dial" manual focus, which can be done without taking your eye off the superb EVF.

If your only concern is to get that one extra special super sharp image then stick with a DSLR and separate lenses, they can look very impressive when walking about or resting on a bean bag in a hide, and to be honest, had I lots of cash to spare I may well have gone down that route myself some years ago, but having purchased a Sony FD185 (the first digital camera) with a 10x zoom I was hooked. I then went to video cameras due to the long zooms of 20X and then 30X and extracting stills from the video, then stuck an 80mm scope on the front.

When the Nikon 8800 came out I went for it and was well happy used it for a few years and sold it to help buy the 900 (which I still have) but when the 1000 came on the market I dug a bit deep and took the plunge, 1000 is a lot of money to me, but money well spent.

Sorry to go on a bit, really what I am trying to say is that "getting the shot" is more important than worrying technical issues, and the 1000 will get the shot in almost any situation you are likely to come across.

I only view my pics on a computer screen, albeit a very good screen, or pics for the album at 6"X 4" so even a just reasonable shot will be good enough. I don't pixel peep, or at least didn't until now :) now I am getting a bit obsessed with feather detail...……………...

Den

Last edited by poledark : Wednesday 7th November 2018 at 23:26.
Old Thursday 8th November 2018, 16:47   #107
Neil G.

Hi Marc,
Here are two photos taken at around the same distance,one with a nikon d7200 and 200-500mm lens,the other with the p900,both images are cropped.Ultimately,a dslr will give you better quality up to a certain distance,after which the p900 and 1000 will equal the dslr and even beat it in certain instances.These images show larger optical zoom versus more cropping with the bigger sensor....which is best you can decide.You will always be better off with the dslr for bif shots.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	rsz_3image.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	197.7 KB
ID:	679550  Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0528.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	172.7 KB
ID:	679551  

Last edited by Neil G. : Thursday 8th November 2018 at 17:02.

Old Thursday 8th November 2018, 18:51   #108
poledark

Owl

Best of a big bunch today,

A lot to learn about this camera, seemed to freeze on the focus a couple of times while I was frantically waving it about and wildly pressing the shutter :) :) Missed a couple of really good chances when it perched 30 yds in front of me. I think I was not waiting for the buffer to clear and camera got confused and wouldn't refocus......

These were saved/ converted from Raw shots, next time I will take the pics with the dual setting taking Raw and JPEG at the same time (if that makes sense) Raw is not going to be much use for me, to much messing about converting back to Tiff or JPEG for very little gain in quality, but taking both types of image at the same time will give me the chance to directly compare the result.

But when I get it right the camera will do the job!

Den
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Barn Qwl1 (800x600).jpg
Views:	138
Size:	288.0 KB
ID:	679559  Click image for larger version

Name:	Barn Qwl 2 (800x536).jpg
Views:	236
Size:	214.3 KB
ID:	679560  Click image for larger version

Name:	Barn Qwl 4 (800x642).jpg
Views:	141
Size:	289.8 KB
ID:	679561  

Last edited by poledark : Thursday 8th November 2018 at 19:02.
Old Thursday 8th November 2018, 19:06   #109
Neil G.

Just goes to show that you can use a bridge camera for bif shots.....impressive first attempts.

Old Thursday 8th November 2018, 19:36   #110
bflginidx

Quote:
Originally Posted by poledark View Post
These were saved/ converted from Raw shots, next time I will take the pics with the dual setting taking Raw and JPEG at the same time (if that makes sense) Raw is not going to be much use for me, to much messing about converting back to Tiff or JPEG for very little gain in quality, but taking both types of image at the same time will give me the chance to directly compare the result.
Den
These are very good shots of a beautiful bird, especially when adjusting to a new (and heavy) camera. If you do have the opportunity for a BIF shot or two, keep in mind that taking both RAW and jpeg will fill the buffer faster, causing the camera to freeze (as you probably experienced).

Last edited by bflginidx : Thursday 8th November 2018 at 23:47.
Old Thursday 8th November 2018, 20:10   #111
poledark

Thanks for that BX (do you mind if I call you that :) ) Yes, that thought has occurred to me, especially after an hour or more fiddling about with the Raw shots.

Damned shame about the freezing up, Owl perched on a stake about 30yds in front and camera refused to focus (probably I had confused it), and you don't get time to start again.

Getting used to the size and bulk now, had no trouble finding and latching on to the Owl, so bodes well for the future.

If any of you are considering purchasing a 1000 bear in mind that most of the "so called experts" who have reviewed it, have failed to read the manual and failed to understand the AF/MF button and the focus ring!!!!. something as basic as that doesn't give much credence to the rest of their comments.

Den

Last edited by poledark : Friday 9th November 2018 at 09:16.
Old Friday 9th November 2018, 17:24   #112
Hermann

Quote:
The point of shooting RAWs is that you invariably get better results if you know how process the RAWs. And what's even more important, you can often rescue shots where something went wrong, eg. with the white balance, or if you didn't dial in exposure compensation when shooting against the sky.

Try Nikon NX-D for processing the RAWs. It's free, and the latest version (1.5.0) works very well.

Hermann
Old Friday 9th November 2018, 20:36   #113
poledark

Hello Hermann, fully understand your comments, but have decided for the moment not to shoot in Raw. For the Owl pics I was firing off bursts of 7 shots with a super bird flying around in front of me for a few minutes giving me a wonderful chance to get loads of possibly very good shots, But the camera took so long to clear the buffer that I was trying to fire off the next batch as I got better and better views.

The EVF made keeping the bird in the frame very easy...chance of a lifetime......messed up by my over eagerness/inexperience with the camera and the camera freezing on me, My fault of course, but probably wouldn't have happened if I had just stuck to JPEG only.

The other thing is having to convert the pics before I can do anything with them. I had about 100+ shots to wade through, a job which is usually a pleasure became very tedious and took well over an hour, and I have been happy with good old Photoshop to enhance dodgy pics ( I get lots of practise at that )

So its stick with JPEG for me for now, sorry Nikon, and thanks for your advice Hermann

Den

Last edited by poledark : Friday 9th November 2018 at 20:39.
Old Tuesday 13th November 2018, 07:06   #114
Gzoladz74

2 subjects close to my heart....

P1000 vs DLSR - I do own an entry level DSLR and Sigma 150-600...carrying that combination is a job, in particular when I have also my binocs and I don't like staying in one place but walking the field, trek up the hills, etc. So the DSLR combo ends up taking away enjoyment to the activity which is my priority. I do use the DSLR when I know I will need it i.e. the shoot fast moving subjects or in low light conditions. The versatility of the P1000 at such a comparable light weight is unbeatable.

Raw - I can fully relate to Poledark. The additional quality that can be obtained from raws is not worth the additional effort required in PP. Fair enough if you like spending time in PP, it is just not my case. Having said that I do shoot jpeg&raw in tricky shooting conditions to have more options in PP in case I can not get anything decent from the jpeg.

Having said that, as/if my raw processing skills improve, I may get hooked into it.
Old Tuesday 13th November 2018, 15:46   #115
njlarsen
Opus Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gzoladz74 View Post
2 subjects close to my heart....

P1000 vs DLSR - I do own an entry level DSLR and Sigma 150-600...carrying that combination is a job, in particular when I have also my binocs and I don't like staying in one place but walking the field, trek up the hills, etc. So the DSLR combo ends up taking away enjoyment to the activity which is my priority. I do use the DSLR when I know I will need it i.e. the shoot fast moving subjects or in low light conditions. The versatility of the P1000 at such a comparable light weight is unbeatable.

Raw - I can fully relate to Poledark. The additional quality that can be obtained from raws is not worth the additional effort required in PP. Fair enough if you like spending time in PP, it is just not my case. Having said that I do shoot jpeg&raw in tricky shooting conditions to have more options in PP in case I can not get anything decent from the jpeg.

Having said that, as/if my raw processing skills improve, I may get hooked into it.
The funny thing is, I do not see any difference in difficulty (actually it is easy!) editing raw vs jpg using ACDSee. I am pretty sure there are similar options in some adobe product where there is no real difference?

Niels

Just moved to Barbados

BF Supporter 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 13th November 2018, 18:06   #116
Gzoladz74

Quote:
Originally Posted by njlarsen View Post
The funny thing is, I do not see any difference in difficulty (actually it is easy!) editing raw vs jpg using ACDSee. I am pretty sure there are similar options in some adobe product where there is no real difference?

Niels
Ok good point, I didn't explain myself...the main consideration for me is that with jpeg I send the file directly to my tablet + Snapseed + done.

With raw, I need to send it to my PC (turn it on, cable connection, etc), edit it there and then export it, etc.
Old Wednesday 14th November 2018, 18:02   #117
poledark

Just trying this out https://www.flickr.com/gp/[email protected]/d8z47B

and have a look at this https://youtu.be/hPTyFrElY6Q

Den

Last edited by poledark : Wednesday 14th November 2018 at 18:27.
Old Thursday 15th November 2018, 09:27   #118
Neil G.

Robin taken with a p900.I know this is a p1000 thread but the cameras produce similar results so this gives a good impression of what the cameras are capable of.Taken in low light at iso800 and handheld.....not too shabby.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	rsz_2image.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	187.6 KB
ID:	680336  

Old Thursday 15th November 2018, 09:37   #119
Hermann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gzoladz74 View Post
In tricky situations the difference between RAWs and jpegs is quite striking. And IME processing RAWs doesn't take more time than processing jpegs. On the contrary, in many cases processing RAWs is a heck of a lot faster, for instance when the camera didn't get the whitebalance right or you had to use high iso and want to clean up noise.

That said, shooting RAW+jpeg makes a lot of sense, at least in decent conditions. But doesn't it also mean your buffer gets smaller?

Hermann
Old Saturday 1st December 2018, 11:36   #120
poledark

Had one of those moments that make it all worthwhile yesterday. Spotted a Kestrel about 100yds away, set camera to infinity, zoomed out and got bird in frame, Kestrel swoops towards me and starts to hover about 20 ft directly above my head (I was wearing camo coat) "click click...click click and then it swooped down about 8 ft away from me, picked up something and flew off. Wonderful sight, just before it dropped I had a chance to say "hello bird"
https://www.flickr.com/photos/157749...posted-public/

Den
Old Saturday 1st December 2018, 14:53   #121
nikonmike

Just putting this on in case its of interest

Arca Swiss compatible camera plate for Nikon Coolpix P1000 camera

https://nikonrumors.com/2018/11/28/n...0-camera.aspx/
Sigma 100-400
Old Saturday 1st December 2018, 16:00   #122
poledark

Camera mount

Here's one I made a week or two ago... There is a little "peg" just behind the rotating ring on the camera and I have utilised this to stop camera twisting on the mounting plate, The tripod QR is at the point of balance when lens zoomed out.

Den
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	camera mountDSCN5195.JPG
Views:	28
Size:	640.0 KB
ID:	681600  Click image for larger version

Name:	camera mountDSCN5194.JPG
Views:	17
Size:	605.6 KB
ID:	681601  Click image for larger version

Name:	camera mountDSCN5199.JPG
Views:	22
Size:	400.9 KB
ID:	681603  
Old Saturday 1st December 2018, 16:12   #123
bflginidx

Quote:
Had one of those moments that make it all worthwhile yesterday. Spotted a Kestrel about 100yds away, set camera to infinity, zoomed out and got bird in frame, Kestrel swoops towards me and starts to hover about 20 ft directly above my head (I was wearing camo coat) "click click...click click and then it swooped down about 8 ft away from me, picked up something and flew off. Wonderful sight, just before it dropped I had a chance to say "hello bird"
https://www.flickr.com/photos/157749...posted-public/

Den
Hello indeed! Great shot Den. Handsome bird. When you factor in the movement of the bird, lighting and the required camera manipulation, images like that are what makes photography such a rewarding hobby. At least for me that's the case.

Cheers
Old Wednesday 12th December 2018, 22:32   #124
poledark

Got myself a popup hide for the garden, I can now get up close and personal with the birds :)

I am fortunate that where I live up on a high ridge of the downs we get fabulous sunrises and sunsets, this often means the light is quite intensely coloured and everything is bathed in a red/orange glow.
This afternoon was one of those days and this Starling was bathed in the orange glow..

https://flic.kr/p/RoSPGY

Den
Old Sunday 16th December 2018, 13:29   #125
poledark

Popped down for a bath while the sun was shining...…….

https://flic.kr/p/RsSLxY

Den
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: