Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Missouri Hawk

Old Monday 11th February 2019, 18:00   #1
sirijay

Missouri Hawk

Took this photo about a week ago alongside the road. Wondered whether its a Cooper's or something else. Thanks for your help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hawk.JPG
Views:	64
Size:	568.8 KB
ID:	686974  
Old Monday 11th February 2019, 18:40   #2
The Bird Nuts
Birding Duo

Young Red-shouldered. Note the tail that is just a little longer than the wingtips, the barring on the secondaries, and the red coming in on the shoulder. Cooper's Hawks have longer tails, thinner legs, paler eyes, and longer streaks on the breast at this age.
Old Monday 11th February 2019, 18:47   #3
KC Foggin
Super Moderator
BF Supporter 2019

Yes, a Red-shouldered Hawk and nicely captured.

Karma - What you send out
Comes right back at ya

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 11th February 2019, 18:53   #4
sirijay

Thanks very much. I should have paid more attention to the red shoulder.
Old Monday 11th February 2019, 20:04   #5
KenM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirijay View Post
Thanks very much. I should have paid more attention to the red shoulder.
Here's an immature Cooper's Ann for comparison.

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Accip.5.Aug.'13.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	686984  
Old Monday 11th February 2019, 21:48   #6
The Bird Nuts
Birding Duo

Nothing against Ken, but his example is not what a typical young Cooper's Hawk would look like (it almost looks like a Goshawk). This one is better for comparison: http://www.oiseaux-birds.com/falconi...-juvenile1.jpg
Old Monday 11th February 2019, 23:05   #7
KenM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bird Nuts View Post
Nothing against Ken, but his example is not what a typical young Cooper's Hawk would look like (it almost looks like a Goshawk). This one is better for comparison: http://www.oiseaux-birds.com/falconi...-juvenile1.jpg
My shot was taken from Portland, Oregon, (perhaps Western birds are bigger?) two Juv.females and a male, they were “hanging-out” almost adjacent to the nest, and remarkably I witnessed one of the females drop down onto a Grey Squirrel, which was promptly dispatched with consumate ease. On size the Juv. females were perhaps 20% larger than the sibling male. I can recall that the tails were a considerable length, all in all, an amazing spectacle watching the birds, which appeared fearless...down to perhaps 7-8 metres at times.

Cheers
Old Monday 11th February 2019, 23:59   #8
The Bird Nuts
Birding Duo

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenM View Post
My shot was taken from Portland, Oregon, (perhaps Western birds are bigger?) two Juv.females and a male, they were “hanging-out” almost adjacent to the nest, and remarkably I witnessed one of the females drop down onto a Grey Squirrel, which was promptly dispatched with consumate ease. On size the Juv. females were perhaps 20% larger than the sibling male. I can recall that the tails were a considerable length, all in all, an amazing spectacle watching the birds, which appeared fearless...down to perhaps 7-8 metres at times.

Cheers
I'm not sure about size difference between western and eastern, but immature western Cooper's do tend to be more heavily marked as your bird is. It seems unusually dark, but I suppose that could be due to lighting. I had a similar experience watching three young Cooper's Hawks up close. I was shaking in excitement!
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: