• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Exif Reader (1 Viewer)

snowyowl

I used to be able to read the Exif data attached to pictures but I can't do so anymore. Can anyone suggest an Exif reader that I can download, preferably free?

FastStone Image Viewer.
Its free, a nice viewer and simple editor. If you click on a thumbnail to view the picture in full size. Move the curser to the right of the screen, exif data is displayed.

Thanks, Alan, but that only allows me to see my own data. I used to able read the data on other people's pictures, in the Gallery, for example, as long as the poster hadn't stripped the data when posting.

Free online Exif Viewers that are hustle free.

Find Exif - has a clean interface and displays the location where the picture was taken in Google Maps widget, based on Exif data. Find Exif does not accept files from your hard drive, it can only process images hosted on the Internet.

VerExif - works great with local images but requires that remote images be publicly available. Its down side is the fact that it can’t process images larger than 5 MB.

Does anyone here know why Samsung removed the EXiF viewer from their gallery application since Note 4 and S6?

I use Opanda Iexif 2.3, which I downloaded free. There may be more up to date verions available, but I've not actualy looked for one.

ExifTool can read a lot:
https://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/
Downloaded files should be copied somewhere.

To use this, you have to install also Perl (if it is not installed on your computer):
https://www.perl.org/get.html
I installed Strawberry Perl:
http://strawberryperl.com/
because it was free.

I personally use a .bat file (ExifTool.bat) with this code:
Code:
:: your directory name (directly below directory with your .bat file), for example "my recent photos":
set "myimages=my recent photos/"

:: your target .txt file for Exif data, for example "ExifTool_out.txt":
set txt="%myimages%ExifTool_out.txt"

:: path to the "exiftool" file, for example:
set ExifTool="C:\Users\user name\Pictures\ExifTool\exiftool"

:: creating .txt file with Exif data of images in the myimages directory set earlier:
perl %ExifTool% "%myimages%" > %txt%

:: this is not necessary:
pause
Double click on the .bat file to execute its code.
I don't guarantee obviously, that it would work correctly for you. Maybe this is not the best way to read Exif data from all files in given directory. There are other commands available and perhaps other file types then .bat to run such code.

Edited later:
A single line code should work:
Code:
perl "path to the exiftool file" "path to the directory with images/" > "path to the output .txt file"
pause
Paths must not contain letters other than latin (like "ę"). This is why in the first example .bat file is put directly above images and relative path is used. I don't remeber, why sometines "\" is used, othertimes "/". But maybe this is important.
Pause is added only to prevent the window from closing to see how the code was executed, messages of possible errors.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back