• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Photographing Owls (1 Viewer)

wandalf

I have seen some photographs of owls flying and I am most curious as to how you find enough light to capture the image.

It is extremely rare to ever see an owl during daylight hours in my area so I have no clue as to how to photograph them.

We do have one great horned owl, at least that is what most of us who have seen it at dusk presume it to be. I would love to photograph him but it is always too dark.

Thanks for any help on how to go about getting this magnificent bird on film.

Hi Wandalf
Outside of the breeding season I use high speed flash for photographing Owls at night and lamps to illuminate them for focusing.

Or when the birds are breeding they will hunt during daylight hours to feed their hungry young.
THIS IS A VERY SENSITIVE TIME FOR THEM, YOU SHOULD ONLY ATEMPT PHOTOGRAPHY AT A HUNTING SITE WELL AWAY FROM THE NEST SITE, USE CAMOUFLAGED HIDES AND MOST IMPORTANTLY BACK OFF AND STOP PHOTOGRAPHY IF THE BIRDS ARE WARY OF THE HIDE OR YOUR PRESENCE.
No photograph is worth a failed nest.

Nigel

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back