• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding at Dalat on a budget (1 Viewer)

alphan

Much had been mentioned about Nam Cat Tien here but I cannot find much info on Dalat. Being a group of retired NGO volunteers with shallow pockets, we would like to visit Dalat after Nam Cat Tien. We are not bird list ticker thus we are not die hard selective species hunter. All endemics and scarce species are most appreciated but not a must. As such, we appreciate if anybody here can point us in the right direction. Any local guide (not those commercial tour guide) on minimal charge will be appreciated.

We plan to stay up to two weeks in Vietnam including maybe a day or two visiting the cities, towns or villages. Slotting in some usual tourist site are possible when conditions are unfavorable for birding. Northern areas we can cover on a separate trip in future. We plan to go in February or March next year

Thanks.

Hi,
Dalat is an easy place to bird on your own, especially if it's not a big problem if you miss this or that endemic. Also there are few good birding guides in Vietnam and they usually don't take a "minimal charge". So I'd recommend to do it on your own. You can stay in any hotel in Dalat town and then take a taxi to the birding sites, or better (more flexible and cheaper) rent motorbikes.
There is plenty of information on Dalat if you dig through recent and older trip reports, e.g. on cloudbirders.

The classical birding sites in Dalat are:
- Ta Nung Valley
- Tuyen Lam Lake
- Lang Bian Mountain

I did put together some info and maps on Dalat's birding sites some time ago here: https://sites.google.com/site/dalatbirding/dalat-sites
There, you can download the pdf maps or use the google map.
The info is still largely valid, except for Tuyem Lam lake, where a new road on the western side of the lake now allows easier access to broadleafed forest.

Another good site is the pass "Deo Sui Lanh", road QL 28 from Di Linh. You can stay in a hotel in Di Linh town for 1 night and bird along the road where forest is good. Di Linh is about half way between Cat Tien and Dalat.

Best wishes,
Florian

There are also local buses which are very cheap. I used one to go to Lang Bian Mtn and return. The bus goes (or at least used to) to and from just outside the entrance to the visitor centre.

Thanks very much Florian, John and amears for your great info. My apology for taking so long to come back here. With my very limited Internet access and going round the virtual world looking for more info took me quite a while.

I have always thoughts that the very basic of birding at Dalat would be as Florian stated. Then I met a Vietnamese birder who recommended us to Datanla Waterfall for a short passing through stop, then do birding at Bidoup, Suoi Tia and a few other places. The only of the three classical birding sites is the Ta Nung Valley which he claimed as having been blocked by a new resort. Then I realised that the Vietnamese guy was only leading us to Endemic species hunting, away from our preferred leisurely birding.

The birding routes at Ta Nung (if still accessible) and Lang Bian would remain as pointed out by many. The only exception would be Tuyen Lam lake. Florian, your map of 2009 still good for now? We are planning in 4 full days at Dalat. Datanla waterfall we can do on our way in to Dalat. We time to arrive mid afternoon and bird around till evening. Should we do a day at Lang Bian, a day at Ta Nung and two days at Tuyen Lam lake? Or we really should go to another site? Or should we instead of heading to Datanla Waterfall, head for Di Linh overnight then continue the next day to Datanla and Dalat?

Thanks again for all the advises. Most appreciated.

Hi Alphan,

for all I know, the Ta Nung valley site is still accessible. There is a gate now, but I think they let you in if you ask (perhaps for a small fee). It might be that the works have resumed and the site is not accessible any more, but it is so good and close to town, I would give it a try at any case.

Dantanla is a heavily developed tourist site, you might find some nice birds early mornings before the crowds arrive (but they come early as well), but it's not really a fun environment to bird (unless you're into sledge runs and concrete animals). I'd suggest to skip this one. Better go twice to any of the other sites than to Dantanla.

The trails on my Tuyen Lam map should all still work, but there is now also a road on the eastern side of the lake, which gives much easier access to the broad leaved forest. See this map.

There are also other interesting sites around Dalat, but Ta Nung, Lang Bian and Tuyen Lam are the classical Dalat sites, all good for both leisurly birdng and "endemic hunting", and easy to reach from town. So I suggest to stick to them. All can be visited for a half day only, and in principle you can go back for lunch to town and then head on to another site. Tuyen Lam offers the longest walks and largest extent of forest, so I'd suggest a full day there, or even two.

Di Linh is also worthwhile, especially if you happen to pass by anyway (e.g. coming from Cat Tien or Saigon). So you could do 1 day Di Linh, 1 day Tuyen Lam, and some half days in Ta Nung and Lang Bian.

Last edited:
Mr Dalat is right about everything.
Ta Nung is still good for the same birds it is deservedly well-known for, but the lower area was very muddy last week (may be drying out now that the rain in DaLat has finally stopped 2 months later than usual). If there's no-one to open the gate, you can crawl under the barbed wire on the left. If there is anyone there, they may not let you in if there is "construction" (i.e. destruction) going on. I was turned away once and had to crawl under the 2nd time. Ignore the barking dogs - they don't bite. If there's someone there and they do let you in (give them 20K per person on the way out and they are happy), it's the easiest "forest-edge" bird walk in DaLat.

For Deo Sui Lanh (or Deo Nui San, or just Di Linh Pass), you can also stay at Juliet's Villa Resort which is closer to the Pass and can be internet-booked with Agoda, etc. though they don't have many rooms. Di Linh is still rather limited for hotels. The map referred to above shows a traditional route starting at the bottom of the pass, which is very rough going unless you are very persistent - it's not a pleasant stroll in the forest and you'd be lucky these days to find Blue Pitta and Spotted Forktail so close to the cafe. There is an easier trail at the top of the pass, starting in the parking area on the left, and you can also see a lot (including the Laughing-thrush) from the main road down the hill.

As Florian says, DaTanLa "box-office" opens at 7AM but you have to go before 6AM - the coachloads of tourists are arriving promptly at 7AM these days. The waterfall at the bottom is still beautiful when there is no-one else about and before the Whistling Thrush and Forktails have been scared away.

A taxi from DaLat to "Vuon Ong Le" on the Ta Nung road, or to either side of Tuyen Lam, will cost about £10-15 (on the meter) one-way so probably best to hire a 10-seater van with driver for about £50 a day. The start points for walking are Da Tien on the east, and Đường hầm đất sét tourist site (used to be "DaLat Star", easier for foreigners) on the west side.

Bi Doup (mentioned by your VN pal) can be viewed along the main road from DaLat to Nha Trang - this is only place you can climb through forest to 1700m+ in a hired car. Birding starts at the big road bridge at the bottom (about 1.5h drive from DaLat) or go to the top and walk down (the DaLat side is much better than the Nha Trang side of the pass). You are not allowed to enter the forest without a Park guide and they don't like unofficial Vietnamese guides, even on the main road. If you don't mind the traffic, the birds are great and it's easy walking. On the way back to DaLat, you can visit the extraordinary Pagoda complex at Trai Mat (no birds).

But for birds INSIDE the forest in DaLat (Pittas, Wren-babblers, etc), it has to be Lang Bian or the high ridge on the west side of Tuyen Lam.

Hi, thanks for the up date with first hand knowledge :t:

if there is "construction" (i.e. destruction) going on..

Could you give some more details on the progress of construction and damage done there? Perhaps some photos? Just curious of the fate of my former local patch...

Cheers, Florian

Last edited:
Thanks Florian for the corrections and further info. Glennmanc, your latest info on Ta Nung Valley was excellent. Thanks so much.

Since we plan on hiring a van from Cat Tien to Dalat, would it be advisable to just spend a few hours at Di Linh instead of whole day? Or would it be better to find another hire van to Di Linh and Dalat in two days. Would a full day or half day at Ta Nung suffice? Lang Bian can be a full day and we can do Tuyen Lam Lake in 2 days, one on each side? I do notice many bird songs (at Xeno Canto) as being recorded on the Eastern side of the lake. Bi Doup peak maybe a bit far off unless we decided to skip Di Linh and head straight to Dalat in the morning and do half day at Ta Nung Valley.

Would the map by Henk Hendrik of 2006 here http://www.birdtours.co.uk/tripreports/vietnam/vietnam-10/vietnam-march-2006.htm of Land Bian, Ta Nung and Di Linh still stand good? Florian, your map on both Eastern side and western side of Tuyen Lam lake are quite comprehensive.

I just found a local guide who charges US$50 per person for two days for guide and transport on a 7 seater car. With 6 of us, that would be $300 over 2 days. Would that be a better deal then to hire a van for $60 per day and bird on our own? My only concern is missing Endemics or rare species without a guide to point them out to us. We do have most of the endemic and rare species bird song for us to familiarise first.

You guys are great. Thanks so much.

Since we plan on hiring a van from Cat Tien to Dalat, would it be advisable to just spend a few hours at Di Linh instead of whole day? Or would it be better to find another hire van to Di Linh and Dalat in two days.

I would spend the morning birding in Cat Tien, then drive to Di Linh and bird in the afternoon . Stay the night, so you have another morning. Keep the van, because you need to do a little driving to get up to the pass at Di Linh as well.

Would a full day or half day at Ta Nung suffice?

In my experience, Ta Nung is very birdy in the mornings and rather quiet in the afternoons (even more so than other sites). I'd try to have at least one morning there, but no point to spent a full day. You can always come back, e.g. if you did not find the Crocias previously here or at Tuyen Lam, or you missed out the OB Laughingthrush in Di Linh.

Lang Bian can be a full day and we can do Tuyen Lam Lake in 2 days, one on each side? I do notice many bird songs (at Xeno Canto) as being recorded on the Eastern side of the lake.

Would the map by Henk Hendrik of 2006 here http://www.birdtours.co.uk/tripreports/vietnam/vietnam-10/vietnam-march-2006.htm of Land Bian, Ta Nung and Di Linh still stand good? Florian, your map on both Eastern side and western side of Tuyen Lam lake are quite comprehensive.

You could indeed bird both sides of Tuyen Lam, I would do so if I had the time.
More recordings on the east side is most likely because the road is only completed on the western side since a few years.

Before, broad-leafed forest could be easier accessed at the eastern side, as described in Hendrik's or my maps. Hendriks path is also shown in my map, pointers 1, 2, 3 (mine is at scale, so gives a better idea of the distance), so best use both together if you try to go there. On this trail, you have to walk through mainly pine forest for 1-2 hours first, before reaching broad-leafed forest. Also, the trail is not always easy to find. That said, it was my favorite place to bird, so If you don't mind walking a little rough, go for it. You need a full day there.

The new road on the eastern side allows now easier access to broad-leafed forest, which starts very close to the road. So no need for a long walk first to get to this habitat, and that's why for most prefer this side today. Please not that my map is not very accurate for the western side of the road (I did not go there often at the time). Have a look at google maps as well.

Bi Doup peak maybe a bit far off unless

Just to mention that Bi Doup peak is not the same as the road through Bi Doup national park described above by Glenn. You can go up Bi Doup peak, but need to arrange with the National Park. Possible without camping in one day, but a bit of a rush. Great for birding, but all birds can be found close to Dalat, except Indochinese Fulvetta, which is right on the top of Bi Doup.

I just found a local guide who charges US$50 per person for two days for guide and transport on a 7 seater car. With 6 of us, that would be $300 over 2 days. Would that be a better deal then to hire a van for $60 per day and bird on our own? My only concern is missing Endemics or rare species without a guide to point them out to us. We do have most of the endemic and rare species bird song for us to familiarise first.

Prices sound fine both ways. Guiding fee perhaps a bit low, so not sure if its a really good guide. If you want a guide or not is really up to you to decide, can't help with that. Of course a (good) guide increases the chances that you find all endemics (some are a bit tough). But then you said above that endemic hunting is not your main priority, so if you don't mind to miss some, it may be more relaxing and enjoyable (and cheaper) to do your own thing...

Last edited:
Thanks Florian on your advise. To have a guide or not the rest of our team will discuss and decide. We would most probably leave Bi Doup peak out at the moment and just concentrate nearer Dalat. If we are to use a guide for two days only, which of the four locations ( Tuyen East, Tuyen West, Lang Bian and Ta Nung Valley) would you suggest using guides.

By the way, we already have three full days at Cat Tien with a park guide. That should be enough for us to get all or most of what we can possibly get there. So leaving in the early morning would be fine too.

Cheers.

Thanks Florian on your advise. To have a guide or not the rest of our team will discuss and decide. We would most probably leave Bi Doup peak out at the moment and just concentrate nearer Dalat. If we are to use a guide for two days only, which of the four locations ( Tuyen East, Tuyen West, Lang Bian and Ta Nung Valley) would you suggest using guides.

You don't really need the guide to find the locations (enough info in this thread or trip reports for that) but rather for the birds. So I'd suggest to name some target birds and let the guide choose the best locations for that. You can then go by yourself to the other locations (or back to the same).

By the way, we already have three full days at Cat Tien with a park guide. That should be enough for us to get all or most of what we can possibly get there. So leaving in the early morning would be fine too.

Why not leave late afternoon in Cat Tien to spend the night in Di Linh (2 1/2 h drive), then you have early morning there and can head on to Dalat after lunch...

Last edited:
Why not leave late afternoon in Cat Tien to spend the night in Di Linh (2 1/2 h drive), then you have early morning there and can head on to Dalat after lunch...

Based on your extensive experience, would 2 1/2 days at Cat Tien with the park guide be enough to cover all or most of it? We would actually be arriving early afternoon at Cat Tien but will be on our own around the Park HQ area. We may even try the two Pittas widely known as very near to HQ. Thus including arriving duration, we may still get 3 days at Cat Tien, 1/2 + 2 + 1/2.

Very limited rooms availability at Di Linh, thus we need to book ASAP.

Thanks again Florian.

Vincent

Hi Vincent, yes I think 3 mornings in Cat Tien is ok. And as I said above, you could do the drive to Di Linh even after dark of the third day, if you want to optimise.

There are small hotels in Di Linh, that you probably can't book via internet, but you're likely to find rooms just showing up. Another option is Bao Loc town about half way between Cat Tien and Di Linh. Several hotels there. Could be an option if you leave late on your third day in Cat Tien. If you book your car through some travel agency in Vietnam, they can probably take care about arranging rooms in Di Linh or Bao Loc ahead, in case you don't find room in the place menionned by Glenn above.

Florian

Hi Florian, currently there are still available rooms at Di Linh. Just need to confirm the availability of mini van for the 6 of us. Email the hotel at Di Linh and awaiting their reply. Do you know of any mini van hire in Dalat or Di Linh?

Sorry, I don't have any numbers for care hire any more. If you are in contact with hotels in Di Linh or Da Lat, best ask there, usually they can arrange that.

Photo at Ta Nung

This was taken on Dec 20th, 2016, Florian. (answer to earlier question)

Attachments

• P1350170.jpg
    P1350170.jpg
    556.8 KB · Views: 143
Coming closer to my trip and after much assistance from many here, I am getting closer to finalising my itinerary. However, I do still have a couple of questions.

What is the preferred currency for Cat Tien, Dalat and HoChingMing City?

We do have a day's break at HoChingMing City. Any suggested places to visit (not specifically for birds but if any sites with interesting birds are most welcome)?

Thanks.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back