• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kowa BDII-XD - september 2019 (1 Viewer)

Has there been any info about the BD II XD 8 and 10X42s?

Andy W.
Andy. I have a pair of the Kowa BD II XD 10x42's coming on Friday from USA Binocular's. I will let you know what I think of them. About $390.00 with included expedited shipping is a pretty good price from Big Wonderful Wyoming! I have done a lot of fishing up there. There is big trout in Wyoming because there isn't no people except a few cowboy's.

Last edited:
Interesting! It sure looks and feels like plastic. Maybe it is aluminum made to look like plastic.:-O

Dennis

The ally focus wheel on my Genesis always feels colder than any plastic, have you checked this? A hot needle tip will melt a tiny hole in plastic but won't do anything with ally.

Lee

It is plastic..
Dennis, how did you get that low price, I thought the best price was 449.00. I will be curious about what you think of them. I got my 8X32 from USA Binos also.

Andy W.

I wonder if they will sell the 6.5X32 in large Numbers since it is an common format. The plastic wheel sure seems like plastic to me, but then again, aluminum is very light and can sound/feel like plastic.

Andy W.

It is plastic..
Dennis, how did you get that low price, I thought the best price was 449.00. I will be curious about what you think of them. I got my 8X32 from USA Binos also.

Andy W.
You enter the discount code BIRD12 on checkout for 12% off. I talked them into expedited shipping.;)I wonder if they will compare at all to the Nikon Monarch HG 10x42.

https://www.usa-binoculars.com/produ...ngle-binocular

Last edited:
I wonder if they will sell the 6.5X32 in large Numbers since it is an common format. The plastic wheel sure seems like plastic to me, but then again, aluminum is very light and can sound/feel like plastic.

Andy W.
I would imagine 10x42's will be the top seller especially in Wyoming where they are located. It is a BIG hunting state with a lot of Pronghorn Antelope, Deer and Elk and a lot of open country. Hunter's in general like 10x42's especially in country like Wyoming. I bet they sell the least of the 6.5x32's. Top seller's in this order 10x42, 10x32, 8x42, 8x32 and 6.5x32.

Last edited:
Those who already got their new Kowa's can someone please post some nice pics in natural light setting. From what I can see online they are lighter green than the previous model.

Thanks

Those who already got their new Kowa's can someone please post some nice pics in natural light setting. From what I can see online they are lighter green than the previous model.

Thanks
Here is the new Kowa BD II XD 6.5x32's next to a Nikon EDG 8x32 for size comparison and color. Eye cups are extended. Note how much more compact it is than the EDG. Nice big focus wheel for gloves also. The eye cups are real close in diameter to the EDG's also with comfortable rubber. Very nice size. Notice the finish and build quality stands up very well sitting next to an alpha. The alpha EDG doesn't really outclass it a lot.

Attachments

• PA150001.jpg
    PA150001.jpg
    190.5 KB · Views: 322
Last edited:
Awesome thanks Denco.

Looks bit of grey mixed with green! Looks nicer than I thought. Especially the online images are so different maybe lighting conditions.

Outbackmaster, check back a couple of pages for a pic of the BDII XD 8X32 in natural lightening next to a couple of other glass.

Dennis,

I am not talking about Wyoming but nationwide, that would be interesting how much of each configuration they sell.

Andy W.

Outbackmaster, check back a couple of pages for a pic of the BDII XD 8X32 in natural lightening next to a couple of other glass.

Dennis,

I am not talking about Wyoming but nationwide, that would be interesting how much of each configuration they sell.

Andy W.
Even nationwide I will bet the 10x42's are the top sellers in any brand. There are a heck of a lot more hunters than birder's and I know that is what hunter's use out here. Back east where you are hunting White Tail Deer instead of Mulies they might use a lot of 8x42's though in the heavier brush and more close in hunting. 10x42's are generally the top seller's. Out here Cabella's doesn't even hardly stock anything but 10x42's. The 10x42 is better of course than an 8x32 or 8x42 in low light discerning detail like how many points a buck has.

Last edited:
Awesome thanks Denco.

Looks bit of grey mixed with green! Looks nicer than I thought. Especially the online images are so different maybe lighting conditions.
Your welcome. The Kowa green is really nice with a little grey in it. I think I like it better than the Swaro green. Leica green is really nice also.

Last edited:
I tried the Kowa on the night sky for awhile tonite and I was surprised how good they were for a 32mm aperture. I compared them to my 12x50 SV's and of course the bigger binoculars were able to resolve fainter stars but the wide field view through the Kowa was really nice. The Moon had excellent contrast and resolution and there was very little if any CA on the limb so the glass in the Kowa corrects for CA very well. The SV in that respect was not appreciably better. I saw more ghosting in the SV's than I did the Kowa's so think they are actually better in this respect. Open clusters looked really good in the Kowa but again the SV would go deeper into the night sky with it's big aperture advantage. For the aperture I would say the Kowa's perform very well for astronomy as long as you realize they only have a 32mm objective but it is amazing how many more stars you will see even with a small binocular versus your unaided eyes. I found them quite enjoyable scanning around the Milky Way and the big FOV almost made it feel like you were in space. What was interesting was in my fairly light polluted skies I enjoyed the view of the Kowa 6.5x32 as much as I did the Swarovski SV 12x50 and in fact on the full moon I preferred the view through the Kowa's because the SV was almost TOO bright and had more reflection's. Using binoculars on the night sky is a good way to judge their performance for birding and the Kowa's came through with flying colors.

Thanks for the great review

Thanks for the great review
Your welcome. I am into amateur Astronomy a little also and I have a small telescope so I know a little about observing and how optics should perform on the night sky. Probably not nearly as much as Binastro but I can tell the Kowa's performed well for a small pair of binoculars with relatively low magnification.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back