Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

What BIRDS GALLERY can you recommend?

Old Friday 8th February 2019, 20:25   #1
maist

What BIRDS GALLERY can you recommend?

Dear friends,
Due to decision of Google administration to close Google+ where I have placed photos of birds and animals till now, I'm looking for new gallery. What BIRDS GALLERY can you recommend?
Will be grateful for assistance,
Alex
Old Friday 8th February 2019, 20:55   #2
peter.jones
You may say I'm a dreamer.. but I'm not the only one

I fell foul of this too. My blog posts have all gone to blogger, and the photos downloaded individually onto my pc, then uploaded to Google photos. Both blogger and Google photos owned by Google!
There are likely more suitable places for your photos, which others will hopefully suggest, but mentioning my option as it works and gets your data off Google+
Old Saturday 9th February 2019, 17:27   #3
maist

Thank you, Peter, i will try to use this idea
Old Monday 11th February 2019, 10:05   #4
temmie

flickr would be my choice.

BF Supporter 2009 2010 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 11th February 2019, 10:11   #5
maist

Thank you a lot, temmie!
Old Monday 11th February 2019, 15:13   #6
kitefarrago

But note that flickr has been bought bySmugMug (a photo hosting company that seems to aim at professionals and ambitious amateurs) which means there has been a change in the user agreement. For the last few years, on a free account one could have as many images as one wanted. Now there's a limit of 1000 pictures for the free account - they want you to pay for their services.

The intend to delete images that take an account above that threshold.

I'm also surprised that nobody has mentioned the Birdforum Gallery which is certainly bird-specific, although there's a size restriction on images.

Andrea
Old Yesterday, 09:44   #7
andyadcock

I'm still very attached to Surfbirds.

http://www.surfbirds.com/index.php
Old Yesterday, 09:49   #8
andyadcock

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitefarrago View Post
But note that flickr has been bought bySmugMug (a photo hosting company that seems to aim at professionals and ambitious amateurs) which means there has been a change in the user agreement. For the last few years, on a free account one could have as many images as one wanted. Now there's a limit of 1000 pictures for the free account - they want you to pay for their services.

The intend to delete images that take an account above that threshold.

I'm also surprised that nobody has mentioned the Birdforum Gallery which is certainly bird-specific, although there's a size restriction on images.

Andrea
As Delia can confirm, I find it impossibly difficult to navigate the upload procedure!

Not just a restriction on file size on BF, most sites have a limit on file size for obvious reasons but I find the daily posting limit on Birdguides (5 pictures is it?) very restrictive if you want to share your holiday shots.

Last edited by andyadcock : Yesterday at 09:55.
Old Yesterday, 10:10   #9
delia todd
Moderator but....... If I say the wrong thing put it down to Senior Moments
BF Supporter 2019

I have never understood what you find so difficult Andy, guess you've never tried. The number of images posted every day shows that those members don't have an issue.

Here it's a 24 hour limit of 3 pictures. Now this wasn't a restriction imposed by Admin, but at the request of members (see this thread). Many wanted only 1 or 2 uploads. Admin thought this too restrictive so left it at three.

There's no reason why you can't start another discussion to see what the feelings are now on the restrictions.

I don't know what the Bird Guides limit is.

2006 63, 2007 52, 2008 46, 2009 32, 2010 31, 2011 27 Total 81

Latest Patch tick: Magpie

The only true wisdom is knowing you know nothing - Socrates

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Yesterday, 10:55   #10
andyadcock

Quote:
Originally Posted by delia todd View Post
I have never understood what you find so difficult Andy, guess you've never tried. The number of images posted every day shows that those members don't have an issue.

Here it's a 24 hour limit of 3 pictures. Now this wasn't a restriction imposed by Admin, but at the request of members (see this thread). Many wanted only 1 or 2 uploads. Admin thought this too restrictive so left it at three.

There's no reason why you can't start another discussion to see what the feelings are now on the restrictions.

I don't know what the Bird Guides limit is.
Delia, tut, tut, you know I have tried!

On Surfbirds it's browse, select, post, it's not as simple as that here is it as evidenced by the instructions you once sent me.

Why would members want a limit of images posted, don't get that at all?

Must admit to not being familiar with the gallery here due to finding it tricky to navigate but on Surfbirds, images appear chronologically with the newest first and with the ability to search by species, location or photographer, dead easy.

If I've got shots of say a hundred species I want to post, that will take me a month in BF.
Old Yesterday, 11:03   #11
andyadcock

Delia,
just looked at the thread you linked and posters there with 30K posts that with respect, I've never heard of so I assume their posts are all pictures?

There are comments about reducing the number of posts to increase the quality and 'perusal' time, well I'm a birder and I just want to see shots of birds, especially those rarely photographed. This seems to me to be another divergence between photographers and birders?

The aim of the BF gallery is it seems, not for birders wanting to post their shots but for photographers to showcase their skills?

Last edited by andyadcock : Yesterday at 11:06.
Old Yesterday, 11:06   #12
delia todd
Moderator but....... If I say the wrong thing put it down to Senior Moments
BF Supporter 2019

Quote:
browse, select, post
Basically that's all you do here Andy.

The instructions I would have sent you were a step-by-step 'newbies' guide.

If you read that thread I linked to you will see I wasn't making it up LOL

2006 63, 2007 52, 2008 46, 2009 32, 2010 31, 2011 27 Total 81

Latest Patch tick: Magpie

The only true wisdom is knowing you know nothing - Socrates

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Yesterday, 17:22   #13
njlarsen
Opus Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadcock View Post
As Delia can confirm, I find it impossibly difficult to navigate the upload procedure!

Not just a restriction on file size on BF, most sites have a limit on file size for obvious reasons but I find the daily posting limit on Birdguides (5 pictures is it?) very restrictive if you want to share your holiday shots.
For holiday shots there is a workaround: go to the vacation thread, start a new thread, and for each post you can do 5 images. There is no limit to the number of posts per day, but most people will write one-two posts with some text and some images for one-two days of the trip, and continue when having written some more and processed some more photos. These images do not make it into the gallery, but they are one BF anyway.

Niels

Just moved to Barbados

BF Supporter 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: