• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

RSPB Hide clamp (R402314) (1 Viewer)

Vivian Darkbloom

Has anyone experience of the RSPB hide clamp? I saw it in the Titchwell RSPB shop at the weekend.
It looks lighter (and is slightly cheaper) than the similar Velbon clamp, but may not be sufficiently robust to support a Swarovski 80m Scope and keep it steady.
I had not visited the Parrinder hide at Titchwell since it has been completely redesigned and the end result is superb. The panoramic windows give wonderful views and have been fitted with an unique system which allows the glass to be adjusted effortlessly using a circular winding mechanism.
One other great improvement is now that the wooden shelves are so well made and robust that a scope can be used with a hide clamp with the confidence that the image will remain steady rather than affected by the usual constant vibration.

Looking in the page http://shopping.rspb.org.uk/p/Binoculars/RSPB_Clamp_only.htm you can use even a 26 mm diameter tripod column. Enough for the Swaro without any doubt, specially considering how close is usually place to the clamp. If you just have tripod the clamp is very light and it takes a very short time changing colum. I did myself a ridiculous cheap DIY version and is usable a 100X with my Zeiss85 when a good shelf is found. One more advantage is how more children friendly is where there're benchs.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back