• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

helios fieldmaster ed60 or Opticron IS 60ED (1 Viewer)

frootz

Hello,

Unfortunately, I've had to sell on the Nikon ED50 and am now looking for a scope on a low budget and am considering these:

Helios fieldmaster ed60 - new
Opticron IS 60ED - second hand
Opticron GS665 non-ed - second hand

The budget including eyepiece is £200. Has anyone had chance to compare these? I am thinking the choice of fixed eyepieces with the Opticron scopes might mean these will be a better choice overall?

I'm not intending to digiscope at all.

Thanks if you take the time to reply,

Emma

I am thinking the choice of fixed eyepieces with the Opticron scopes might mean these will be a better choice overall?

I'm not intending to digiscope at all.

the helios has some good reviews given the price, but the IS is better and can take a variety of eyepieces that the helios dont. Good luck with the search

My friend has the IS60 non-ED and its a fantastic little scope, he got it secondhand with ep, soc, mint condition from Cash Generators, only paid £60.00, absolute bargain.

Damian

Thanks for the replies that's really helpful.

Emma

I had the Helios and adored it BUT, and its a BIG but, the Opticron gets to swap over eyepieces.

I've tried both at a beach in gloomy mid winter, and the Opticron 60ED with a fixed wide field eyepiece won the day.

Opticron for sure :)

Thanks that's helpful. Looks like it is the Opticron IS60 ED then! Does anyone have any advice on which fixed eyepiece works best with the scope? I've seen recommendations for the IS 16-48x HR2 zoom up to now.

Thanks again if you take the time to reply.

Emma

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back