• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Goodbye Spring Birds and Welcome Back... (1 Viewer)

Chickadeedeedee

Hi all! ;)

Such a commotion this morning as the weeping willows were filled to over flowing with Red-winged Blackbirds. They are the birds, who upon their arrival in the early months of the year, signify that spring is just around the corner. I'm not sure but I think they are late to migrate this year. Somewhere along the way they picked up a few Common Grackles to join them on their flight.

Wave after wave of the Blackbirds passed over the garden with only a few pausing to chit-chat in the trees after the initial crowd.

Then barely a sound other than the occasional chirp from the House Sparrows.

And then ....

..... wait for it .....

Bazillions of my dear Kramers otherwise known as Starlings. :t::t::t: They had been visiting other neighbourhoods but they remembered our place and settled in ,uhhhh, everywhere! :-O Looks like they had many successful nestings this year.

Got an e mail from a friend in Cuba who laments that "all I have in my garden are the Cuban Emerald Hummingbirds". Ohhh to have such a plague to deal with. ;)

~~~~> And then the Wooly Bear caterpillars have seem to settled in under the eaves of the roof to begin their over-wintering. There were a few marching across the driveway so I had to scoop them up and put them out of harms way so they wouldn't get squished when I backed the car out.

That's about all I know. My brain is empty.

Until next time ... Happy birding!

Last edited:
All these birds sure seem to know where your garden is Lydia LOL.

How can anyone complain about having too many hummers!!!

What no Birds!!

Finally worked out why all the birds have deserted me, the local Sparrow hawk is using my feeding station as a fast food outlet, although I have only seen him once in the last month my neighbour informs me he is a regular visitor.

I tell Jose about the variety of birds in our garden and all he has is the hummers. Poor guy! ;)

I have not seen a single hawk of any kind this year in our garden! How unusual!!! There are very few Mourning Doves as well. Perhaps because we have cut down on the seed feeding?

But my dear OH, Mike, as he has done in the years past, tossed some fish onto the roof for the gulls to feast upon. And feast they did. ~SIGH~ I think a bag of seeds is far cheaper than salmon but ... we all had a good time watching the gulls being poopy on the roof. ;)

Hi Lydia

You are having a busy time with your wildlife - superb mini report Lydia.

We are looking out for the Fieldfares and the Redwings at the moment - the cold temperatures, the threats of snowy weather is coming our way (Scotland has some snow already!) and a cold wind too

It is supposed to be really stormy in the next few days in the UK - brrrrrr....:news: - just pray it is not as bad as it sounds :eek!:

We are going away to the Norfolk Coast over the Xmas period. We hope the weather is on our side this time (last year we went to Norfolk, and it was quite bad) - and blew a hooley most of the time brrr.. :eek!:

Regards
Kathy
x

Hi George, and everyone

Your Sparrowhawk sounds scarey - that its one way of emptying your garden of all bird life :eek!:

Regards
Kathy

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back