Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

San Jose Costa Rica birdhouse

Old Tuesday 30th July 2019, 01:26   #1
gabrielbenson

San Jose Costa Rica birdhouse

HI all.. I am looking to build a bird house for my niece who lives in San Jose. I was wondering what dimensions the bird house should be to have the best chance at attracting arboreal inhabitants. Thanks
Old Sunday 11th August 2019, 16:40   #2
BryanP

Hi Gabrielbenson
Thats an interesting question. I do know that there are English House Sparrows in San Jose so any bird house would have to have ways of thwarting a foreigner takeover. Haven't done any searches so I'm not sure if there is a way so perhaps a standard entrance size for medium sized songbirds.
If you want to ensure there are no English Sparrow invasion you can build the house with House Wrens in mind. They are smaller so can squeeze into a smaller entrance.
There is a large population of Blue Grey Tanagers and Scarlet-Rumped Tanagers (a tad bigger) there which would be welcome house guests for your niece.

Lots of different species of birds acclimated to urban life there, I even saw a Amazon Kingfisher in downtown San Jose once

Sorry, thats all I've got.
Cheers,
Bryan
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: