Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Vortex Viper UHD beats Zeiss SF and Leica Noctivid!

Old Friday 31st January 2020, 10:53   #126
PYRTLE

A pair here for sale, interesting reason why they are no longer a "keeper"
.https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=385924
Old Friday 31st January 2020, 16:19   #127
jgraider

Quote:
Originally Posted by PYRTLE View Post
A pair here for sale, interesting reason why they are no longer a "keeper"
.https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=385924

He's been trying to sell those for a while over on rokslide as well, to no avail. I hope he can sell them, but as I said earlier it's a terrible price point for a Vortex.
Old Friday 31st January 2020, 17:19   #128
[email protected]

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgraider View Post
He's been trying to sell those for a while over on rokslide as well, to no avail. I hope he can sell them, but as I said earlier it's a terrible price point for a Vortex.
You need to try the Vortex Razor UHD's. I think you might change your mind. Everybody's is entitled to their opinion though. I personally hate Meopta's because the two pair I had were disasters quality wise. The Razor UHD's are as good and better than a lot of the alpha's costing $2k and over IMO. At $1.2K to $1.5K they are a remarkable value. I think the seller is asking a little too much for those because I bought my Razor UHD 18x56's new for $1.5K. He should have them listed at $1.3K for an open box pair. I have never had a problem selling Vortex's on the used market. In fact they are one of the fastest selling binoculars in my experience maybe next to Swarovski's. Now try and sell a Leica and they well sell but it will take a lot longer.

Last edited by [email protected] : Friday 31st January 2020 at 18:52.
Old Friday 31st January 2020, 18:17   #129
jgraider

Dennis, I did try the new UHD for a brief period of time, inside the Cabela's store in Dallas. I thought the optics were great, but quite frankly the ergos sucked, big time. No way, no how would I spend anywhere near that money on a Vortex UHD. IF they were $1000 I would have an easier time justifying the cost. Then again I see the Razor HD as a good $650 bino, not $950

What would you expect the seller to say about something he' selling......."they suck but I want $1500 anyway"????? They've been for sale on Rokslide since Jan 21st.

Last edited by jgraider : Friday 31st January 2020 at 18:23.
Old Friday 31st January 2020, 18:36   #130
PYRTLE

The guy has had 3 different pairs of UHDs, sold two and has the 3rd one up for sale - that tells me a bit, apart from a strange way of buying optics. Dennis, there's no doubt you think estacitcally about them and have endorsed them so, almost to an excruciatingly painful level if truth be known. We 've got your message but please confirm you don't sleep with them around your neck?

Cheers, P
Old Friday 31st January 2020, 18:46   #131
giosblue

Quote:
The guy has had 3 different pairs of UHDs, sold two and has the 3rd one up for sale - that tells me a bit, apart from a strange way of buying optics. Dennis, there's no doubt you think estacitcally about them and have endorsed them so, almost to an excruciatingly painful level if truth be known. We 've got your message but please confirm you don't sleep with them around your neck?

Cheers, P

You and JG just can't resist having a pop at Vortex, It's in your DNA.
Old Friday 31st January 2020, 18:56   #132
[email protected]

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgraider View Post
Dennis, I did try the new UHD for a brief period of time, inside the Cabela's store in Dallas. I thought the optics were great, but quite frankly the ergos sucked, big time. No way, no how would I spend anywhere near that money on a Vortex UHD. IF they were $1000 I would have an easier time justifying the cost. Then again I see the Razor HD as a good $650 bino, not $950

What would you expect the seller to say about something he' selling......."they suck but I want $1500 anyway"????? They've been for sale on Rokslide since Jan 21st.
That's cool. Ergo's are a personal thing. If they don't fit you you are not going to like them. I agree on the Razor HD. I don't think it is worth difference in price from the Viper HD. I question how much traffic Rockslide get's. Put the UHD's on Ebay for $1300.00 and they would be gone in two weeks.

Last edited by [email protected] : Friday 31st January 2020 at 18:59.
Old Friday 31st January 2020, 19:00   #133
PYRTLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by giosblue View Post
You and JG just can't resist having a pop at Vortex, It's in your DNA.
Not so Ron, I just disagree that their ( Vortex ) top of the range optics are better or equal to the established Alphas. Underneath is an extract by yourself a while ago about one of their products.

I wouldn't say the build quality was bad, I didn't have a problem with the diopter, but it is a bit vague and plasticky.
The eye cups don't stayin any intermediate position on the Viper or the Razor. I've put O rings underneath the eyecups. You can put them anywhere you want and the stay there. Like said I did'nt have problem with the diopter, if I had and I was keeping them I would have stuck some tape on.
The focus is poor, it's stiff and has variable resistance. Optically excellent though.

Ron

Regards, P
Old Friday 31st January 2020, 19:01   #134
[email protected]

Quote:

Cheers, P
No I have to get a divorce first from my EDG's they might get jealous.

Last edited by [email protected] : Friday 31st January 2020 at 21:02.
Old Friday 31st January 2020, 19:02   #135
PYRTLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Now I have to get a divorce first from my EDG's they might get jealous.
Cheers, have a great evening.

Pat
Old Friday 31st January 2020, 21:04   #136
[email protected]

"Not so Ron, I just disagree that their ( Vortex ) top of the range optics are better or equal to the established Alphas."

Ron. Have you looked through a UHD? Just curious.
Old Saturday 1st February 2020, 00:14   #137
giosblue

Quote:
Not so Ron, I just disagree that their ( Vortex ) top of the range optics are better or equal to the established Alphas. Underneath is an extract by yourself a while ago about one of their products.

I wouldn't say the build quality was bad, I didn't have a problem with the diopter, but it is a bit vague and plasticky.
The eye cups don't stay in any intermediate position on the Viper or the Razor. I've put O rings underneath the eyecups. You can put them anywhere you want and the stay there. Like said I did'nt have problem with the diopter, if I had and I was keeping them I would have stuck some tape on.
The focus is poor, it's stiff and has variable resistance. Optically excellent though.

Ron

Regards, P
That mini review was about the Viper, not the Razor. The build quality on the Razor is as good as it gets. The diopter on the Razor is fine, I had no problems with that. The eye cups can moves down, and an o ring fixes that, I don't think is just on the Vortex bins. Lots of eye ups move when rubbed against clothing.

I have the Razor 8x42 and 10x42 and they are superb. I had the Zeiss conquest side by side with the Razors for more than two weeks and I thought the Razors beat the Conquest in every respect, so I bought the Razors. They were exactly the same price. 680.
You can knock them all you like, but the Vortex Razors are a really nice pair of bins. Are they over priced or value for money, I don't know, but they are a fine pair of bins, with what I believe is the best warranty in the business.
Whats not like..

I did say the focus on the Viper was poor and stiff, with variable resistance, that is correct.
However, that was comparing it to the Razor, which is silky smooth from end to end.
I dont think a slight stiffness and slight variable resistance is uncommon though.
The Swarovski SLC is not brilliant from what I gather on these forums.

Last edited by giosblue : Saturday 1st February 2020 at 00:23.
Old Saturday 1st February 2020, 09:06   #138
Rico70
Forum Member

I am increasingly perplexed

I want to be bad!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jan van daalen View Post
That may be so, but at 8x the view is stable and with 18x it is NOT.
What do you mean? I do not understand you, Jan.
Do you want to support you too "the charlatan law" that with 8x you will see more details than 18x? ... or what?
Have you already gone to the dark side?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermann View Post
18x binoculars are ... utterly unsuitable for observing butterflies due to the very small depth of field.

Posts like this make me wonder if you actually use binoculars in the field.
Unfortunately, they are posts like this that make me wonder if Hermann really knows binoculars and depth of field.

Both an 8x at 1.3m and an 18x at 3m, both present the same DOF!

But how can this be explained to "Professor Hermann", avoiding him to make bad figures?

Old Saturday 1st February 2020, 10:19   #139
jan van daalen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico70 View Post
I want to be bad!

Do you want to support you too "the charlatan law" that with 8x you will see more details than 18x? ... or what?
Have you already gone to the dark side?

Unfortunately, they are posts like this that make me wonder if Hermann really knows binoculars and depth of field.

Both an 8x at 1.3m and an 18x at 3m, both present the same DOF!

But how can this be explained to "Professor Hermann", avoiding him to make bad figures?

Rico,

I won't go there, but I'm getting sympathy for the "don't feed the troll" quote.
Be careful (one can't keep hiding behind the Google translate) with your attitude otherwise you could find yourself all alone howling in the desert and nobody will hear you anymore.

Jan
Old Saturday 1st February 2020, 11:32   #140
Troubador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico70 View Post
I want to be bad!

Rico
You should know by now that it is the practical experience of Birdforum members that hand-held 18x binocular is too much affected by hand-shake to deliver useful and enjoyable images.

Kindly desist from this line of argument.

Lee
Old Saturday 1st February 2020, 14:35   #141
giosblue

Not so Ron, I just disagree that their ( Vortex ) top of the range optics are better or equal to the established Alphas.

Who are you disagreeing with? It's not me because I have never held that view or expressed it on any forum..

Ron
Old Wednesday 5th February 2020, 02:50   #142
Steve O4B
Optics4Birding.com

A word about retail pricing in the binocular market in the USA. There are two basic prices shown to the public: MSRP (Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price) and MAP (Minimum Advertised Price). Most manufacturers enforce a MAP policy. This prevents the giant retailers from from undercutting the small retailers, who usually have better customer service with people who are trained to answer the difficult questions and help customers make an informed decision on their optics choice. Some manufacturers do not separate MSRP from MAP in order to better enforce pricing. Retailers who violate these policies are often refused new product or even lose their dealerships.

Most manufacturers would prefer to sell multiple units to dealers rather than single units to private customers. These are the ones who use both an MSRP and an MAP. The manufacturer sells on their site, but only at MSRP, encouraging the consumer to shop around and find a dealer at MAP.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: