• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The promised Kestral picture. (1 Viewer)

charlierocky

A few months ago back in December some of you may recall that I posted some picture of birds that I took whilst on my holiday in Fuerturventura. One subject was the Kestral that had eluded me all week until I had packed away my scope ready for my trip home. A gentlemen at the hotel who had a large DSLR with lense had also been after pictures, so I found him and explained that the Kestral had turned up and was in a photogenic mood. At that point the gentleman passed me his camera and said "have a go with that whilst I go get some shoes". At this point if you recall, I told you that the Kestral was perched on a handrail on a stone stairway and that a gentleman was climbing the stair, oblivious to the presence of the bird. Armed with my loaned camera I waited for the shot when the Kestral flew from the rail... how close can a person get to a wild Kestral? take a look, as the owner of the camera finally sent me the picture yesterday.

Attachments

• _MG_7577_filtered-1.jpg
    _MG_7577_filtered-1.jpg
    276.3 KB · Views: 39
  • _MG_7577_filtered-2.jpg
    _MG_7577_filtered-2.jpg
    264.1 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
Wow! Charlierocky, that is an amazing photo. That man must have had his eyes shut not to notice the Kestrel perched there. Brilliant!:t:

Wow charlie that is a close up shot of the wild Kestral, near a human as you can get I wonder if the man placed his hand on the Kestral by a mistake, and scared it off.

It is sad that some people are blind to their surroundings, as there is so much to see, and achieve. :-C

Last edited:
'They have eyes but see not.....'
That's a couple of smashing pics Charlie. It just shows the difference between them that have an interest in wildlife., and them that possibly don't care.

Baz.

I remember your original post Charlie. Goodness me that really is a close encounter! Thanks for showing brilliant pics of the kestrel.

Wow! That is close Charlie, how amazing is that!
Brilliant shot, thanks for showing us :t:

Hi Charlie,

Great stuff. I'll bet if you'd asked that chap what birds he'd seen he'd have said something like 'Didn't see anything, not many birds around'.

Pity we can't see the legs on that photo, that could have been a Lesser.

Bill

Hi Charley,

Nice to meet you!

Those are some great shots !...especially when you consider it was not even your camara. :)

I have never heard of encounter like that before.

Cheers

You can get lucky, I happened upon this one a few weeks ago on the path along the cliffs near me, actually happened isn't strictly honest, my GF saw it land so we went to see what it was. It was amazing the people out for a stroll
who were completely oblivious to it.

Mick

Attachments

• Kestrel1.jpg
    Kestrel1.jpg
    182 KB · Views: 15
That's what I call a "serendipitous shot", :)

Call it what you will, I call it a great catch Mick. Outstanding; is that a ring on ring on right leg?

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back