• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden/Yard List 2020 (2 Viewers)

Still can't quite believe it! This am after a fruitless search outback in the ''very muddy'' woods came back to the house not before catching a glimpse of a male Bullfinch!

Unfortunately I wouldn't have been able to see it from the house, as it was somewhat obscured by shrubbery, a bit miffed I came in and proceeded to watch the general area from the bedroom window, eventually caught a movement behind neighbour's hedge but only got a ''bad'' shot of the bird before it moved down and away out of view. Thus I decided to hang on in just in case....when I saw a ''red'' movement in an adjoining tree, jaw hit the floor with a Richard Wilson ''I don't believe it'' moment!!!....nos.44 and 45 respectively. :eek!::eek!:

Attachments

• P2130088.jpeg    Bully.jpeg
    P2130088.jpeg Bully.jpeg
    156 KB · Views: 77
  • P2130086.jpeg     LSW 1..jpeg
    P2130086.jpeg LSW 1..jpeg
    186.2 KB · Views: 93
  • P2130078.jpeg     LSW 6..jpeg
    P2130078.jpeg LSW 6..jpeg
    200.6 KB · Views: 90
  • P2130084.jpeg     LSW 3..jpg
    P2130084.jpeg LSW 3..jpg
    200.1 KB · Views: 77
  • P2130085.jpeg     LSW 2..jpg
    P2130085.jpeg LSW 2..jpg
    205 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:
before it moved down and away out of view. Thus I decided to hang on in just in case....when I saw a ''red'' movement in an adjoining tree, jaw hit the floor with a Richard Wilson ''I don't believe it'' moment!!!....nos.43 and 44 respectively. :eek!::eek!:

Wow! Congratulations Ken. Very nice indeed! I'd have been happy with just the Bullfinch!

Meanwhile in Canada....I've been hanging on to make it to double figures before posting, but I'm stuck on 9 at the moment. Have just reassured myself that this is entirely normal for January here. Feeders are actually very busy with the regulars - so very entertained, just not a long list yet.

1. American Goldfinch - FBOY. Didn't see them til February last year. Range from a couple to 50+
2 Downy Woodpecker At least five around.
3 Hairy Woodpecker
4 Blue Jay
5 Black-capped Chickadee 20+ who knows. They're everywhere!
6 Red-breasted Nuthatch
7 White-breasted Nuthatch
8 American Crow
9 Common Raven Very vocal in the area, regular flybys - Ravens flying in snowy woodland, one of my favourite things.

My cunning plan of sitting by the window typing this as a method of triggering no. 10? Failed! Ho hum.

Wow! Congratulations Ken. Very nice indeed! I'd have been happy with just the Bullfinch!

Meanwhile in Canada....I've been hanging on to make it to double figures before posting, but I'm stuck on 9 at the moment. Have just reassured myself that this is entirely normal for January here. Feeders are actually very busy with the regulars - so very entertained, just not a long list yet.

1. American Goldfinch - FBOY. Didn't see them til February last year. Range from a couple to 50+
2 Downy Woodpecker At least five around.
3 Hairy Woodpecker
4 Blue Jay
5 Black-capped Chickadee 20+ who knows. They're everywhere!
6 Red-breasted Nuthatch
7 White-breasted Nuthatch
8 American Crow
9 Common Raven Very vocal in the area, regular flybys - Ravens flying in snowy woodland, one of my favourite things.

My cunning plan of sitting by the window typing this as a method of triggering no. 10? Failed! Ho hum.

You’re enjoying a typical continental Winter Jasper! I’d trade for that now, it’s grey skies after grey skies here, how I long for a Northern Winter...ice, frost and snow with Siskins and Redpolls bouncing out the blue! I’ll trade our/your Grey Squirrels for Downy Woodpecker anyday. :t:

Better late than never.....Wren and female Blackcap this am, 46 and 47 respectively, however what stole the show for me was imaging a Green Woodpecker in the Ash tree blissfully unaware that it had been joined by ''another'' and only noted afterwards from the back of the camera LCD!

I suppose it would have been wishful thinking for them to have been joined by yesterday's ''star''....producing a hat trick!....I wonder what the odds on that would be? :eek!::eek!::eek!:

Attachments

• P2130198.jpeg     Woodpeckers galore 1..jpeg
    P2130198.jpeg Woodpeckers galore 1..jpeg
    137.9 KB · Views: 82
For today,

3) Eurasian Collard Dove.

It was right underneath my bird feeder. Couldn't get a picture, because I didn't have my camera on me at the time.

Five additions in the snow today.

10. Northern Flicker
11. Turkey Vulture
12. Common Grackle
13. Ring-billed Gull
14. Northern Cardinal

Not sure if this counts or not, because I just barely got off my property when I saw it.

Was walking to church, I just barely got off the property, when an American Kestrel flew in front of me and roosted in a tree.

Not sure if this counts or not, because I just barely got off my property when I saw it.

Was walking to church, I just barely got off the property, when an American Kestrel flew in front of me and roosted in a tree.

Would you have seen it (from) your property at the time, if you had been on home ground at the time?

Cheers

Would you have seen it (from) your property at the time, if you had been on home ground at the time?

Cheers

If I was outside in my driveway, I would have seen it. However, I wasn't.

Either way, it's okay. There will be other kestrels. They're quite common in my area.

Yes, can't count it if you aren't physically on the property ;-)

I've had to leg it inside the gate for a couple of birds now and then - Osprey once springs to mind.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back