• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Chart of Features - Nikon's Full Size Roof Prism Binocular Lines (1 Viewer)

A quick way to distinguish the different feature on the seven full size centre focus RP lines!

Do you know when this chart was produced, John? Interesting as I think on the US sites the EDGs are archived whereas a few versions were still available in Britain when I last looked.

I found this table very useful for comparing the Monarch HGs against the EDGs; thank you.

Tom

Hi Tom,

I'm afraid not. However, as the Monarch HG x30's were introduced in mid 2018 it's a relatively recent compilation

It clearly demonstrates the approach to marketing used by major Japanese companies - offering a wide range of products with different features and prices
In this instance, all the way from premium down to entry level
This same approach can also be seen with both Nikon and Canon in relation to their reflex and non-reflex camera offerings

Often the differences seem relatively minor, or even non-existent e.g. comparing the EDG and Monarch HG lines, in relation to coatings and transmission, they appear to be identical
Though to confound the issue, of course the quality/ complexity of the coatings may differ between the lines
So there needs to be some caution as to how much information a single indicator can convey

Fortunately, as Allbinos has done transmission testing of various EDG's and HG's it's possible to dig deeper e.g. compare:
- the 2015 test of an EDG 8x32: https://www.allbinos.com/281-binoculars_review-Nikon_8x32_EDG.html , and
- this year’s test of a Monarch HG 8x30: https://www.allbinos.com/331-binoculars_review-Nikon_Monarch_HG_8x30.html

As can be seen the HG is somewhat better to 600 nm, but the EDG is better to 700 nm - though it's matters of degree
But as always, the testing only measures objective transmission vs perceived image brightness
So the question remains: How much the transmission differences matter in actual use, compared to all the other aspects of the respective models, and a particular user's preferences?

And to further muddy the waters, later EDG’s may have improved coatings!

John

Attachments

• Nikon EDG 8x32.jpg
    Nikon EDG 8x32.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 29
  • Nikon Monarch HG 8x30.jpg
    Nikon Monarch HG 8x30.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
Hi Tom,

And to further muddy the waters, later EDG’s may have improved coatings!

John

John,

I'm certainly aware of the range of products in Nikon's camera line up. Sales staff used to tell me how the sales of the lower end products basically financed the R&D for the professional models (F-single digit series; D-single digit and hundreds series & so on).

Regarding the improved coatings; I would guess very likely as with many lens manufacturers. And they have improved the fit of the objective covers too. Mine need a definite snap to come off, whereas all the early reviews complain of them not staying on at all!

Tom

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back