Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
ZEISS Summer Savings - Experience unique moments of nature. Save up to £250 on selected ZEISS Binoculars - limited time only!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Another Great Day in the Pyrenees 2019

Old Monday 12th August 2019, 13:11   #26
rosbifs

And somemore!

Picnic at Saligos - just by luz. 152 black kites in three main groups before got the blanket out!
Bizarrely none in the next hour or so.

However, some great views of short tied eagle and then a black vulture. Really played the game by being the lowest most visible bird...

There were lots and lots of Swift’s and martins and an occasional swallow which threw up their alarm when a hobby went through the middle. The hobby made three passes and each time the alarm calls sounded. The Swifts responded by climbing higher. When they came back one was larger and sure enough an alpine!

A second short tief eagle but this one struck me as a migratory - early if the case...

What a great way to spend a couple of hours over a picnic...
Old Wednesday 21st August 2019, 06:07   #27
rosbifs

Trip to tarbes and some airport time. Actually very quiet - one black shouldered kite and some fan tailed warblers zitting and some stonechat sitting...

Then some migration action. 23 white stork and some black kite - three groups, a booted eagle m, honey buzzard and acually 9 griffon vultures. Not a bad return.

Headed to the military base where again fairly quiet but there were two hobbies hunting very low - it almost seemed like they were taking insects off the top of the ferns!

Only a couple of strikes - red backed, one wheatear, sone fan tails...

The drive across the top produced some more strikes then a female woodchat shrike followed by a hoopoe.

Just great to spend some time in the field - soulor today...
Old Monday 2nd September 2019, 19:58   #28
rosbifs

Bit of migration around luz today

Few kestrels moving about with a hobby a bit higher. Maybe 6 or 8 short toed eagles, some honeys, common buzzard and a booted eagle.

Some distant grifters with a lammergeier - all from the garden. Rounded off with 50+ bee eaters overhead and a sparrow hawk!

Great days....
Old Friday 6th September 2019, 18:36   #29
rosbifs

Few hours round abouts Tarbes

I spent 15 minutes trying to get onto a flock of Buntings they kept dissappearing into and behind someones hedge. I also felt very conscious that I looking into someones garden! In the end they were put down as sp but I think they were Ortolan. The candidates are Ortolan or Cirl but the seemed to have well marked backs and light - I only kept getting glimpses of their backs - not to worry.

Anyway, this was followed by a Black Shouldered Kite diving on something by the road. It flew up and landed on the wires with a mouse of sorts. I tried to get a picture but it took off and landed further away. This went on for about 5 minutes but I couldn't get the picture of it eating!!!

The airport was really quiet but did see one Crested Lark. Finally after a bit of twisting and turning a Woodchat Shrike Juv. Really struggle to believe they don't breed somewhere here because they are so regular - spring, autumn latest May earliest mid July...

The military camp was occupied so some more tooing and froing. Only to find some Backed Shrikes and not a lot else. Ended up at the lake at Argeles to find some Yellow Wagtails. Booted Eagle overhead and numerous Buzzards, Flycatchers and a Redstart....

All day the commonest bird seemed to be Whinchat - probably just most visible.

Great time out...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BS KITE 5 9.JPG
Views:	11
Size:	411.8 KB
ID:	704068  Click image for larger version

Name:	Woodchat 5 9.JPG
Views:	11
Size:	250.0 KB
ID:	704069  Click image for larger version

Name:	Yellow wag 5 9.JPG
Views:	8
Size:	477.8 KB
ID:	704070  Click image for larger version

Name:	RB Shrike 5 9.JPG
Views:	12
Size:	312.3 KB
ID:	704071  
Old Saturday 7th September 2019, 09:07   #30
dragnil

Love the shrike on the post, really envious as this autumn's visit has given way to a wedding (Grrr). Still, something to look forward to in the spring of next year then perhaps I'll get a shot of the kite in flight like yours.
Old Sunday 8th September 2019, 17:49   #31
rosbifs

It seems that the Spanish imperial eagle seen in the soulor the day before I was there in August has been reidentified as a tawny eagle and a first for France!

I think I overheard that the photos were being sent to forsman for his opinion as at the time they weren’t sure about race.... I’m assuming that this resulted in the tawny eagle call!
Old Tuesday 10th September 2019, 12:43   #32
Warixenjalka

Oh, you also rely on Dick's expertise?!

I think he has been very busy lately... Weird looking Harriers in Finland etc.
Last lifer: Kingfisher #430, WP ticks: 321, Finnish ticks: 258 (Terek Sandpiper), Eco ticks: 196 (Barred Warbler) , Yard tics (alltime): 107 (Common Whitethroat), Photo ticks: 399 (Kingfisher)
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: