• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

CARL ZEISS 6x42BGAT*P DIALYT SKIPPER (1 Viewer)

Hello Im new to this site but have been a keen birdwatcher for over 25 years. Recently I inherited my dad's binoculars Zeiss 6 x 42 B which seem to be very good quality, and ive been surprized by the posts regarding their value.
But despite that it should be most basic, I cannot adjust the width at all ! They seem to be either fixed or seized .... should I try CRC ?? All suggestions welcome !

Hi girl,

Probably the lubricants have dried out completely. Do yourself a favor and don't try things at home. Find yourself a decent optics repairman.

Jan

Pardon my necro-bump...

I'm a little late to the party (How old does a thread have to be to call it a necro-bump?), but I bought this in the early 90s for a sailor friend, but he didn't like it so I just kept it and virtually forgot about it. I had no idea it was real rare until another sailor friend was coming by to visit this morning and I went looking for it to show the 6x42 to him. When I went searching to find specs this thread was about all that there is. I guess I'll put it up on eBay. In case anyone would like to see what it looks like I'm posting four pictures. As I never used it it's in near-perfect condition. The only little nick I could find looks more like a spec of dust.

Attachments

• IMG_20190831_105718.jpg
    IMG_20190831_105718.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 207
  • IMG_20190831_105947.jpg
    IMG_20190831_105947.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_20190831_104858.jpg
    IMG_20190831_104858.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_20190831_105017.jpg
    IMG_20190831_105017.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 102
Fabulous looking bino. You should have no trouble selling that to a collector. Make sure the serial number and red coating specs are clearly visible. Thanks for the photographs.

PYRTLE, post 24,
The 6x42 Dialyt is not only interesting for a collector, but it is also a very fine instrument to use is my experience.
Gijs van Ginkel

PYRTLE, post 24,
The 6x42 Dialyt is not only interesting for a collector, but it is also a very fine instrument to use is my experience.
Gijs van Ginkel

I'm sure it or is very enjoyable to use, regrettably not many of us enthusiasts will ever be able to. One question I ask is why the individual eyepiece focusing.

P

Last edited:
Most military / nautical binoculars are individual eyepiece focussing.

It makes the binocular more waterproof / dustproof and most times the binocular is used at a certain distance and does not need to be constantly adjusted to different distances.

Gary

I'm rollin' the dice with a straight-up 10-day auction on Ebay

Fabulous looking bino. You should have no trouble selling that to a collector. Make sure the serial number and red coating specs are clearly visible. Thanks for the photographs.

I took your advice. Thank you! I posted it on eBay with 8 additional photos, including the last one which shows just what you suggested. Here's the link:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/254347777356?_trksid=p2471758.m4704

They certainly were some pretty valuable ($1,860!) binoculars

o:)
Up to over £1000 on bids for this item. 36 bids to date.

The 10-day auction ended a half an hour ago. There was a flurry of activity at the end and the binoculars sold for $1,860 (that's 1,508.83 in Pound sterling). The auction was advertised world-wide. The buyer is located in China.

There were 41 bids, 8 bidders, 1,041 views and 65 watchers by the time the auction finally came to an end.

I can't say I really understand why they were perceived as being so desirable as to be so highly valued. I guess some people are avid binocular collectors.

I just got them in the early 90's because I thought they would be good for marine use and so I got them as a gift for a sailor friend. Plus I've always had a soft spot for 6x binoculars. I still have my Leitz 6x24 binoculars with a field of view of 212 meters / 1000 meters. Now THAT'S what I call wide angle! They're my 15.5 oz. opera glasses.

Well done.

It doesn't surprise me the buyer is in China.
Sometimes a hand is just put up at an auction and left there until the object is bought.
The fascinating thing is when two people keep their hands up.

A Chinese bowl in a local auction near here sold for £43,000,000.
It was sitting in a normal house unknown for many years.

Regards,
B.

Congratulations to Sr. Rico on getting a great price for his binoculars. Let's face it, if any of us were selling a binocular like that, we'd be delighted to do as well.

According to Zeiss, P coating was introduced in 1988 and the NightOwls in 1993. Peter Abraham's site dates the introduction of the 6x42 as October, 1988, so I'm surprised to hear that any of those were not P coated. It couldn't have been many.

Henry
I think you are correct and here is a pic of one offered for sale some years ago which is clearly marked P for phase coating. This was later changed to P* but only look more consistent with T*, not to indicate any change in the phase coating.

Lee

Attachments

• IMG_1703.jpg
    IMG_1703.jpg
    187 KB · Views: 72
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back