• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Anybody heard about anything new from Kowa in binoculars? (1 Viewer)

Stephen Mark

I called Eagle Optics today and got a very low price on a pair of 8X33's. It made me wonder if there might be a replacement on the way.
Steve

I called Eagle Optics today and got a very low price on a pair of 8X33's. It made me wonder if there might be a replacement on the way.
Steve

Stephen

Kowa regularly discounts Genesis 33s in the UK for a set period. You can't guarantee it but it does happen, so it is not surprising if it happens in other markets. I have noticed that these discounts sometimes are granted in the months running up to Christmas and although it might seem early, Christmas comes earlier every year.

I got the impression from Kowa at the recent Bird Fair that the Genesis series of binoculars are regarded as a long-term asset (although for sure they could lose some weight from the 44s) so don't expect them to be replaced any time soon. However, now that Kowa has launched its intriguing 55mm scope maybe they might now turn to their bino range and bring out something new, perhaps next year.

Lee

Lee
Now I am curious because about five years ago I talked to me national sales manager for Kowa at that time. I asked if they had plans to put the fluorite lenses in a binocular and was told no that the manufacturing process wouldn't let them go smaller than the big scope. Now that they have brought it down to 55mm I am starting to think they could put that in bins. If they do that it would be game over for other manufacturer's for several years. Which is bad for me because being now retired going to an alpha binocular would take a big lottery win.
Steve

Excellent point! You could be right about the fluorite lenses now the little travel scope has them. But I have a feeling that the Genesis binos will continue.

Lee

Hi,

it is not probable that a good ED binocular will gain in image quality from being redesigned to use a fluorite objective element. The differences between some ED glass and fluorite are already quite small at the high magnifications used in astro scopes, there is just no chance that the difference can be seen at 8 or 10x.

Plus the Genesis series is already quite a bit in front of the competition at CA control and microcontrast - if I were responsible for product management at Kowa I would try to work on the weaknesses like weight, field of view and the lack of field flatteners.

Joachim

All valid points but fluorite was what set their scopes apart for so long. I also think that the buzz those lenses would create would bring Kowa into the light instead of being a connoisseur's binocular if you will. The weight should be addressed, it doesn't bother me because I use a harness so there is no neck strain. finally I am a little tired of some people (ones I know) who complain about five or six ounces while carrying six or seven pounds of DSLR and lens when they bird. I guess if every one found out the value for money Kowa represents they would raise prices (again).
Steve

Hi,

indeed it was what set their large diameter to of the line scopes apart from the competition for many years - because back then modern ED glasses were not available and fluorite was the only way to build a low CA doublet objective.

Nowadays I'm quite sure that equal color correction for spotting scope magnifications up to 70x or so can be achieved with ED glass.

Beyond that with extenders or astro EPs you might be able to see a very slight difference when comparing perfect examples of each design.

But still, sample variation of the lens figure is going to show more difference - Kowa is usually pretty good there (or rather the examples I own or have seen personally were plus lots of good reviews) but lately there was a not so great star test of Kowa glass (no spotter though, telephoto lens) shown on CN.

Joachim, who has doubts if fluorite is needed in the new 55mm scope at 45x, let alone in a 40mm bino at 10x...

I will accept your greater knowledge of glass I didn't realize that ED glass had come that far. It's interesting that about five years ago I ordered a pair of 8X33's and sent them back because I didn't feel they were up to my 8.5X44's. With some of the health challenges I've had over the last two years I just got another pair from Eagle Optics and they are as good as the 8.5. Maybe I had an off pair the first time or maybe Kowa has continued to make advances in glass and just put the new glass in without fanfare. They are a hard company to figure out.
Steve

I spoke with a US Kowa rep last year around this time and he said the Genesis line was being redesigned. He said they were trying to bring down the weight. I’ve been expecting to see some new models but nothing yet. I wouldn’t hold my breath but that’s what I was told.

I'm going to post this in the bargains thread as well but cameralandny has great prices on the BDXDs in 10x32 and 10x42 now: $324.99 and 399.99

Has anyone viewed with a Genesis 8.5X44, is this different from the Prominar? It looks like a nice low light glass.
They also have a 10.5 X 44. They both look a bit different from the Prominar models.

Andy W.

Andy
Promar XD is how Kowa describes the lenses and they are only in the Genesis models. They really are great bins and no CA that
i have ever seen.
Steve

At BirdFair one time I tried to quiz one the Kowa representatives about plans for a replacement. There was a bit of a language barrier, but I think I understood that they were well aware of the criticism of the weight, and the potential for improvements to the coatings, but they were focussing on addressing some issues with the BD XD series and had no immediate plans for a Genesis replacement. The manufacture of both models is outsourced in Japan and China so I imagine the situation could change quite quickly.

Dries,

I've tried both the Genesis and the most of the BD XD range and to my eyes they are different beasts all together.

David

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back