• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Traveller BGA ED Finish Quality (1 Viewer)

mharris1984

Hi all, my first post here. Just looking for a bit of advice from fellow Opticron owners.

I bought a pair of Traveller BGA ED 8x32 today. While I am very pleased with the optical performance, the finish has left me a little disappointed. In particular the rubber coating does not sit flush with the eye pieces. It is clear where the rubber has been stretched up around the strap attachment points, and glue is clearly visible in the gaps. It is the same around the circumference of both barrels.

It is a minor cosmetic flaw, and if they're all like this then I can easily live with that. However, if I've received a particularly bad one then I'd prefer to get it exchanged.

For people who own these, do yours look any better?

photo.jpg

i bought two pairs. Both had faulty diopters. The finish quality was horrible. Tried a pair at a recent bird fair. The finish was still bad. The focusing wheel was so stiff i could hardly turn it. Evidently Opticron has no pride in their binos.

My pair live on my workstation so were easy to go and check out. Can't find any finish flaws on this pair, everything fits together nicely.

Lee

I recently bought one in Switzerland. Very nice bin, no issues with the finish. But I also think the issues shown in the OP would not bother me.

If you can live with it fine, otherwise return it and either try a different brand or request another pair.

Here is mine if you want to make a comparison. The annoying part seems better-finished on my unit.
I'm very glad with this binocular and I can't fault it. Focus is smooth and ease of view perfect. It is my travel binocular, otherwise it lives on a bookshelf. I use it intensively on holidays (including sea trips) and just forget about it, wether it is in my bag or around my neck or when I use it. I think it is a no-hassle binocular. I bought it directly from Opticron UK one year ago.

https://i70.servimg.com/u/f70/16/96/96/90/dsc_1610.jpg

Mine looks very similar to that after 6 months of use, but there's no glue residue.

Attachments

• opticron.jpg
    opticron.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 217
It is a minor cosmetic flaw, and if they're all like this then I can easily live with that. However, if I've received a particularly bad one then I'd prefer to get it exchanged.

Sorry to come to this rather late. If you haven't already requested an exchange via the dealer you purchased from, then I'd suggest you do so because that is not representative of the finish of the Traveller BGA ED.

If you have any problems, please email me at [email protected] and we'll get things resolved for you.

Cheers, Pete

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back