• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ABA Big Year 2019 (2 Viewers)

A list of missing non-Hawaiian species that John saw in 2016 but has not seen yet this year. If you spot errors, please tell! Codes are from ABA checklist 8.0.5, I had some errors previously.

Code 1 - 5
Purple Sandpiper (1)
Great Cormorant (1)
Barred Owl (1)
Pinyon Jay (1)
Clark’s Nutcracker (1)
(+ Leach's Storm-Petrel and Short-eared Owl missing Continental ABA)

Code 2 - 12
Spruce Grouse (2)
Sooty Grouse (2)
Least Grebe (2)
Dovekie (2)
Buller’s Shearwater (2)
Short-tailed Hawk (2)
Boreal Owl (2)
Elegant Trogon (2)
Island Scrub-jay (2)
Northern Wheatear (2)
White-winged Crossbill (2)
Audubon’s Oriole (2)
(+ Spotted Dove, White-tailed Tropicbird, Mottled Petrel, Wedge-tailed Shearwater, Red-footed Booby and Eurasian Skylark missing from Continental ABA)

Code 3 - 25
Whooper Swan (3)
Common Pochard (3)
Steller’s Eider (3)
Spectacled Eider (3)
Smew (3)
Himalayan Snowcock (3)
Berylline Hummingbird (3)
White-eared Hummingbird (3)
Common Ringed Plover (3)
Sharp-tailed Sandpiper (3)
Curlew Sandpiper (3)
Craveri’s Murrelet (3)
Ivory Gull (3)
Black-headed Gull (3)
Ross’s Gull (3)
Yellow-footed Gull (3)
Red-billed Tropicbird (3)
Flesh-footed Shearwater (3)
Least Storm-Petrel (3)
Gray-headed Chickadee (3)
Eyebrowed Trush (3)
White Wagtail (3)
Red-throated Pipit (3)
Rustic Bunting (3)
Flame-colored Tanager (3)
(+ Red-tailed Tropicbird, Bulwer's Petrel and Great Frigatebird missing from Continental ABA)

Code 4 - 16
Barnacle Goose (4)
Common Shelduck (4)
Plain-capped Starthroat (4)
Northern Jacana (4)
Far Eastern Curlew (4)
Jack Snipe (4)
Black-tailed Gull (4)
Yellow-legged Gull (4)
Kelp Gull (4)
Blue-footed Booby (4)
Tufted Flycatcher (4)
Dusky Warbler (4)
Redwing (4)
Siberian Accentor (4)
Streak-backed Oriole (4)
Blue Bunting (4)

Code 5 - 11
Graylag Goose (5)
Common Scoter (5)
Pin-tailed Snipe (5)
Amazon Kingfisher (5)
Nutting’s Flycatcher (5)
Variegated Flycatcher (5)
Pine Flycatcher (5)
Cuban Vireo (5)
Sinaloa Wren (5)
Common Chiffchaff (5)
Pine Bunting (5)

Agreed - edited above for latest additions.

The 16 Hawaiian Code 2 seen in 2016:-
Java Sparrow
Red-crested Cardinal
Oahu Amakihi
White-rumped Shama
Red-vented Bulbul
Rose-ringed Parakeet
White Tern
Chestnut Munia
African Silverbill
Maui Alauahio
Hwamei
Hawaiian Duck
Anianiau
Kauai Amakihi
Kauai Elepaio
Red Junglefowl

And the 7 Hawaiian Code 3:-
Oahu Elepaio
Mariana Swiftlet
Akohekohe
Maui Parrotbill
Akekee
Greater Necklaced Laughingthrush
Akikiki

Plus 2 further Hawaiian Code 2's not seen in 2016:-
Gray-backed Tern
Indian Peafowl

Unsure how many realistic Hawaiian Code 3's?

All the best

Last edited:
Paul

I agree in principle, but my point still remains that Hawaii gave John a notable boost at the end of 2016 (in 11 days in December ). As he has already seen over forty species there, the next visit is not going to have the same impact on a return. There is nowhere he is going to find the same return of 50 or so species in less than two weeks. So even if he is slightly ahead on numbers he is IMO going to find it more difficult to match his 2016 pace from here until the end of the year.

In terms of Hawaii, I guess he could get between 10-20 species by island hopping- and I was interested with his comment on the likely success of a pelagic. Not sure I understand which species he is focusing on that cant be seen off California in the fall.

Does anyone know when his planning to return to Alaska?

Maybe. He has far more Code 1 & 2 mainland species outstanding in comparison to the same point plus 20+ further Hawaiian species to target. These are on Honolulu, Kauai & Maui.

He is a shade better than evens if I was running a book (but it does depend on the Alaskan fall).....

All the best

Last edited:
Tikli

I believe that it is 23 additional species to 2016 - 2 Hawaiian Code 3 being Juan Fernandez Petrel & Bulwer's Petrel.

All the best
Paul, I had Bulwer's Petrel in those 7 Code 3:s, it's mentioned on my next list as a missing continental species.

To clarify, I put only those species on Hawaiian list that are not on continental ABA list (possible on Hawaii-only).

I have 104 Hawaii only-species (71 possible), of which John has seen 27.
Code 2: 21/39 (2016 37)
Code 3: 6/24 (12)
Code 4: 0/3 (0)
Code 5: 0/5 (0)
Code 6: 33 - so sad!!

Of Hawaiian Code 3:s not seen by John in 2016, I don't know how many are possible:
Laysan Duck
Blue-Gray Noddy
Juan Fernandez Petrel (already seen)
White-necked Petrel
Bonin Petrel
Black-winged Petrel
Christmas Shearwater
Millerbird
Puaiohi
Laysan Finch
Nihoa Finch
Island Canary

Maybe. He has far more Code 1 & 2 mainland species outstanding in comparison to the same point plus 20+ further Hawaiian species to target. These are on Honolulu, Kauai & Maui.

He is a shade better than evens if I was running a book (but it does depend on the Alaskan fall).....

All the best

I also think it depends a lot on Alaska. He's still missing a lot of code 3's and 4's, of which at least some should appear on Alaska during a good autumn.

In 2016 he got 27 species after July (mostly Code 3+) outside Hawaii. And it was a very poor rarities year in Alaska. From John's 2016 blog:

I suppose the island was overdue for a ‘worst-ever’ birding result, following spectacular results achieved durng the Fall seasons of 2014 and 2015. And that is precisely what happened during ‘my’ 25-day (22 August – 15 September) Gambell visit, according to Gambell birding guru and statistician Paul Lehman. ...
The dreaded northerly winds predominated most of my stay, and even during the brief periods of southerly (and even one day of blessed westerlies), few birds veered far enough to the east of traditional Asian migration pathways to drop in for a Gambell visit.

Agreed - edited above for latest additions.

The 16 Hawaiian Code 2 seen in 2016:-
Java Sparrow
Red-crested Cardinal
Oahu Amakihi
White-rumped Shama
Red-vented Bulbul
Rose-ringed Parakeet
White Tern
Chestnut Munia
African Silverbill
Maui Alauahio
Hwamei
Hawaiian Duck
Anianiau
Kauai Amakihi
Kauai Elepaio
Red Junglefowl

And the 7 Hawaiian Code 3:-
Oahu Elepaio
Mariana Swiftlet
Akohekohe
Maui Parrotbill
Akekee
Greater Necklaced Laughingthrush
Akikiki

Plus 2 further Hawaiian Code 2's not seen in 2016:-
Gray-backed Tern
Indian Peafowl

Unsure how many realistic Hawaiian Code 3's?

All the best

John will have no problem with the codes 1&2, and most of the Code 3. The main issue will be the 2 Maui species found only in Waikamoi Preserve, since there are new restrictions in place. You are now quarantined for 6 months if you have visited Big Island or Kauai due to the spread of ROD (Rapid Ohi'a Death) so he will only have one shot at that preserve. You only have about a 50% chance of seeing the Akohekohe and Maui Parrotbill on any given day. We saw the peafowl in 2016, but it wasn't countable until 2018. I believe the Gray-backed Tern is possible on the pelagic John has planned.

Laura Keene

Last edited:
Tikli

So do you agree 23 species seen by John in 2019 that he did not see in 2016?

All the best
Sorry for being unclear. I still have only 22.

Taiga Bean Goose (3)
Tundra Bean Goose (3)
Black-tailed Godwit (3)
Bermuda Petrel (3)
Juan Fernandez Petrel (3)
Bulwer’s Petrel (3)
White-faced Storm-Petrel (3)
Siberian Rubythroat (3)
Falcated Duck (4)
Key West Quail-Dove (4)
Great Knot (4)
Nazca Booby (4)
White-tailed Eagle (4)
Steller’s Sea-Eagle (4)
Dusky Trush (4)
Gray Wagtail (4)
Yellow Grosbeak (4)
Antillean Palm-Swift (5)
Great Black Hawk (5)
Red-legged Trush (5)
Dark-billed Cuckoo (prov)
Long-legged Buzzard (prov)

Of Hawaiian Code 3:s not seen by John in 2016, I don't know how many are possible:
Laysan Duck
Blue-Gray Noddy
Juan Fernandez Petrel (already seen)
White-necked Petrel
Bonin Petrel
Black-winged Petrel
Christmas Shearwater
Millerbird
Puaiohi
Laysan Finch
Nihoa Finch
Island Canary

Please advise John, if he is trying to future proof his year, to try and see the Hawaiian Band-rumped Storm-petrel - the latest paper published in Ibis makes it very clear this is a separate species from the 'North Atlantic Band-rumped (=Madeiran)' (which s also separated from the Azores and Cape Verde Birds). Hawaiian Band-rumped Storm-petrel doesn't look very easy looking a Ebird records - I missed it on 2 pelagics a number of years ago.

cheers, alan

Monday was quite a Big Year Birder day for me: got the Little Stint (lifer) with Ruben Stoll (lifer), went for Western Kingbird at a known location (they seem to like electrical substations, and not just there). Whiffed on the kingbird but confirmed that Eurasian Tree Sparrows were present (and easy). Got a text that the Ruff had been refound and so Jeff Sundberg and I screamed over to that crossdike. As we walked out a woman was walking back. We said hi and Jeff said to me, "That's an Australian accent." I turned and yelled, "Are you Robyn?" She said yes and I went back to officially say hi (lifer Robyn). Ran back out as John was leaving the Ruff location. Said hi (lifer). Off they went to the substation, where they got the sparrows and a Bobwhite (we've had them there in the past, too). Off I went for my lifer Ruff. A two state-bird day, which hasn't happened for me since 2009 (and may never again). A two Big Year Birder day, too, bringing my life list to three (I birded for a day with Greg Miller here in Chicago).
Updated lists attached.
Joe

Attachments

• NewABABigYears2019.xlsx
    131 KB · Views: 40
  • NewABABigYears2019ByCode.xlsx
    614.2 KB · Views: 29
  • ContinentalBigYears2019.xlsx
    174.9 KB · Views: 24
  • ContinentalBigYears2019ByCode.xlsx
    661.2 KB · Views: 32
Thanks - not quite the nemesis bird he mentions in his blog

Also agree to 22 based on Joe latest spreadsheet

Sorry for being unclear. I still have only 22.

Taiga Bean Goose (3)
Tundra Bean Goose (3)
Black-tailed Godwit (3)
Bermuda Petrel (3)
Juan Fernandez Petrel (3)
Bulwer’s Petrel (3)
White-faced Storm-Petrel (3)
Siberian Rubythroat (3)
Falcated Duck (4)
Key West Quail-Dove (4)
Great Knot (4)
Nazca Booby (4)
White-tailed Eagle (4)
Steller’s Sea-Eagle (4)
Dusky Trush (4)
Gray Wagtail (4)
Yellow Grosbeak (4)
Antillean Palm-Swift (5)
Great Black Hawk (5)
Red-legged Trush (5)
Dark-billed Cuckoo (prov)
Long-legged Buzzard (prov)

Thanks both - my difference was Townsend's Storm-petrel which I did not have down for John in 2016. There must be another one as well because I had 2016 in my spreadsheet as 835 not 837 so I'll need to find it.

My Big Year participant lifelist is one being Greg Miller (from one of my two trips to the States).

All the best

Thanks both - my difference was Townsend's Storm-petrel which I did not have down for John in 2016. There must be another one as well because I had 2016 in my spreadsheet as 835 not 837 so I'll need to find it.

My Big Year participant lifelist is one being Greg Miller (from one of my two trips to the States).

All the best

I think 836 is the right number for John's 2016 total.

If I recall correctly, Townsend's Strom-petrel was added afterwards to his 2016 list. It's not on is blog's list. He was on a pelagic and someone photographed a petrel, which he saw and it was afterwards identified as Townsend's. I had similar problems when I compiled my spreadsheet earlier this year.

A busy week for all involved. The McQuades are heading to Alaska at the end of the month, so their lists should really jump, as all their species thus far have been in the Lower 48 (+ a Skylark in BC). The Deans are gunning for personal records, which means they're essentially shooting for 750 in the Continental ABA region.

Joe

Attachments

• ContinentalBigYears2019.xlsx
    174.9 KB · Views: 29
  • ContinentalBigYears2019ByCode.xlsx
    661.2 KB · Views: 33
  • NewABABigYears2019.xlsx
    130.9 KB · Views: 38
  • NewABABigYears2019ByCode.xlsx
    614.1 KB · Views: 41
Has anyone figured out John's plans?

His latest post appears to suggest that he is about to embark on a 5 day pelagic from San Diego. Is this the 2-6th September trip?

Is this in addition to the Hawaiian plans or have they had to be abandoned?

If these form the anchors then it would appear that there are another 2 weeks of sweeping up, then the San Diego trip, then Alaska (Gambel/St Pauls), then Hawaii at the end of October.

He is averaging one new species per day through August, which is good going this late in the year.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back