• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Moral Dillema... (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
By the same token, dog owners are all (sweeping statement alert):

Deaf
Or they couldn't tolerate the yapping of their stupid dog all through the day and half the night, standing in their back garden, barking at nothing.

Daft in the head
They fall into two categories, both equally daft. Half let their dog poo in the park where kids play. The other half do the same but scoop up most (but not all) of the poo into a polybag and hang it in the bushes where kiddies can enjoy finding it and making pattacakes from the funny PlayDoh they find inside.

Delusional
These sturdy folks that take their pooch for bracing country walks think the sheep that run away with dog chasing them are all just joining in the hearty fun. The dog isn't chasing them really: they are running together. And its all just a coincidence if a sheep dies from shock later that night after having a dogs teeth sink into its hind-quarters.

Lee

Yes my statement is a generalisation but that's what a generalisation is, it represents a majority of a certain group, in this case cat owners who just open the door and forget their 'pet' for the night.

The percentage of cat owners that let their cats out to wreak havoc and shit everywhere, is massively greater than the number of people whose dogs 'yap' or who don't clean the crap up.

Tens of millions of amphibians, reptiles, birds and other animals die thanks to cats every year, how many sheep, apples and oranges.

Yes my statement is a generalisation but that's what a generalisation is, it represents a majority of a certain group, in this case cat owners who just open the door and forget their 'pet' for the night.

The percentage of cat owners that let their cats out to wreak havoc and shit everywhere, is massively greater than the number of people whose dogs 'yap' or who don't clean the crap up.

Tens of millions of amphibians, reptiles, birds and other animals die thanks to cats every year, how many sheep, apples and oranges.

Yes, agreed Andy but sheep-worrying by dogs is a significant problem for hill farmers in the UK, but that is really a quite different issue.

Lee

By the same token, dog owners are all (sweeping statement alert):

Deaf
Or they couldn't tolerate the yapping of their stupid dog all through the day and half the night, standing in their back garden, barking at nothing.

Daft in the head
They fall into two categories, both equally daft. Half let their dog poo in the park where kids play. The other half do the same but scoop up most (but not all) of the poo into a polybag and hang it in the bushes where kiddies can enjoy finding it and making pattacakes from the funny PlayDoh they find inside.

Delusional
These sturdy folks that take their pooch for bracing country walks think the sheep that run away with dog chasing them are all just joining in the hearty fun. The dog isn't chasing them really: they are running together. And its all just a coincidence if a sheep dies from shock later that night after having a dogs teeth sink into its hind-quarters.

Lee
Unfortunately, most of them do actually fall into one of these categories, judging by how the majority lets their dogs off leash inside clearly designated nature reserves.

It's not just sheep. Cats don't kill people (or deer, for that matter). By that token alone, a human-centric person could arrive at the conclusion that dogs are worse. In the end, I don't think it's controversial to conclude that the majority of owners of both pet species are acting irresponsibly, leading to significant harm to the environment and occasionally, society.

Last edited:
I'm sure there's a separate thread entitled 'cats' on this Forum so if you just want to rubbish cats go and leave your comments on there please then I've no need to listen.

Thanks ;)

To give outdoor cats a fair hearing, my local ones have certainly played a part in first reducing and now preventing rats from overwhelming the gardens of our housing terrace. So unless they show too many signs of moving on to avian prey, I leave them alone.

But as a matter of policy I don't feed birds in the garden (too much chance of attracting unwanted rodents, apart from exposing birds to risk) and I do prune stuff so as not to leave ambush positions.

John

I think we need to get back on topic. Becca actually has stated what she plans to do, so maybe even move on to other threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back