• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Incoming MeoStar B2 (1 Viewer)

RobMorane

Hi Everyone,

This morning, I was reading a review of the latest Meopta MeoRange 10x42HD from a French website
https://www.naturabuy.fr/test-jumelles-meorange-10x42-hd-meopta-essai-3769.html ,

when I almost choked on my coffee reading the following:
"La qualité d’image est de haut niveau, et même meilleure sur certains aspects que dans les Meostar B1 HD. La référence de la marque. Meopta nous a expliqué que ces jumelles préfigurent une prochaine gamme de Meostar B2 dont la sortie aura probablement lieu en 2019."

Which translate by:
" The image quality is a high level one, and even better on some aspects than in the Meostar B1 HD. The reference of the brand. Meopta explained to us that these binoculars foreshadow an upcoming range of Meostar B2, which will probably be released in 2019.":eek!:

Now the secret is out ;)
Curious to see if all the Meostar B1 Range will be replaced in one go.

Is it possible to optically improve the Meostar B1 12x50 HD ???

Last edited:
Rob,

Thanks for the heads-up. I wondered if something might be announced at the SHOT show, but perhaps UK Birdfair in August? Not sure what to expect. ED/HD across the range, lower weight and maybe fully dielectric prism coatings? Look forward to finding out.

David

I look forward to finding out too David.
Maybe a redesign of the body too?
We'll see :eek:)

Rob

In the early stages of the development process I begged the product manager to at least retain the shape of the 8x32. I don't hold out much hope. ;)

David

For what it's worth . . .

Meopta lodged the patent for the the MeoRange system in 2016 (see the attachment),
and obviously the claims are in relation to the rangefinding functions, including modifications and additions to the prism system

The main lens system featured in the images appears to be generic (see the 2 images):
- a 3 lens objective (a 2 lens achromat, together with a single lens focuser), and;
- a 4 lens ocular (in a 1, 2, 1 configuration)

Whether this is the system that was eventually used in the MeoRange (I've not been able to find any description or diagram) - or is the one that will be in the new B2 - is unknown

Interestingly the optical system does not show an additional lens directly in front of the prisms, as is used on at least some of the B1 series
- see the B1 10x42 HD image from a 2018 catalogue (the earlier non-HD version also had the same configuration)

John

ADDITION: the 4 lens ocular configuration is similar to that in an earlier Meopta image
(this is from a 2011 review by Binomania of the 7x42 B1, see https://www.binomania.it/meopta-meostar-b1-7x42/ )

Attachments

• EP3144713A1 filed June 2016.pdf
    568.9 KB · Views: 40
  • Laser Paths.jpg
    Laser Paths.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 85
  • Lenses?.jpg
    Lenses?.jpg
    193.8 KB · Views: 78
  • B1 10x42 HD.jpg
    B1 10x42 HD.jpg
    207.4 KB · Views: 109
  • 4 element Ocular.jpg
    4 element Ocular.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:
In the early stages of the development process I begged the product manager to at least retain the shape of the 8x32. I don't hold out much hope. ;)
David

I REALLY hope they won't go double bridge like the EL.

Now, I'm wondering if I wait to buy the 12x50 HD or not...

The Meostar's just need to trim down some IMO (not the 8x32 though I agree). They are much too bulky. Meopta is the OEM for Leupold's new bino/rf unit that should be available about now in the USA.

When Jan van Daalen and I together with a few other persons visited the company in Prerov (almost two years ago now) we were told that a new series of binoculars was developed, but no details could be supplied at that time and we did not see traces of it during our tour through all parts of the company.
Gijs van Ginkel

Back in 2013 I was told the probable launch date for the B1 repacement was spring 2015. I've not been told the specific reason for the delay, but suspect the contractual arrangements with Cabela's might have been a factor..

David

Meopta closed their plant in Long Island, NY in October 2017. They were supposed to move it to Pasco County in the Tampa Bay area of Florida. Is there any news on that front?

Bob

Last edited:
Bob

Meopta's website states that their current US facility is at Trinity Florida - see the details and image

John

Attachments

• Info.jpg
    Info.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 51
  • Building.jpg
    Building.jpg
    171.3 KB · Views: 75
The tax burden is way less in Florida. Great move on Meopta's part.

Zeiss is doing a similar thing, moving from NYC to Kentucky, recent news
of their service and parts dept. Taxes are very high in New York.

Carl Zeiss Vision, is a facility in Kentucky, mostly eyeglass manufacturing.

Jerry

Last edited:
Zeiss is doing a similar thing, moving from NYC to Kentucky, recent news
of their service and parts dept. Taxes are very high in New York.

Carl Zeiss Vision, is a facility in Kentucky, mostly eyeglass manufacturing.

Jerry

I think Sports Optics management and sales/marketing are staying in New York but service and repairs are moving to Kentucky. Hope to find out more at Bird Fair in August.

Lee

My guess is that the passing away in 2018 of Paul Rausnitz at the age of 90 may play a role in the delay of the introduction of a new Meostar line. He was very important as head of the company and (according to rumors) in his will strong demands were formulated for the future course of the company. I suspect that the focussing mechanism of the Meostar line will be changed a bit and it seems not unlikely to me that a Meopta budget line will be introduced to compete with the large amount of cheap binoculars on the market.
Gijs van Ginkel

I suspect that the focussing mechanism of the Meostar line will be changed a bit and it seems not unlikely to me that a Meopta budget line will be introduced to compete with the large amount of cheap binoculars on the market.
Gijs van Ginkel

I hope they don't change the focussing mechanism too much as it feels nice and precise but I suspect the dioptre adjuster might get changed.

As for a cheaper line of binos: https://www.meoptasportsoptics.com/en/rada/optika-hd-13194-26/

Lee

Lee,
Is this new line cheaper then the lines produced until now?
Gijs

I haven't seen prices yet and since these binos are not due until August we might not see prices until then. However on the Meopta website the binos are usually listed in price/status order with B1 MeoStar at the top and the sole MeoSport, the 8x25, at the bottom.

Optika HD is positioned below MeoPro suggesting strongly that the two 42mm models shown will be their lowest priced full-sized binos yet.

Lee

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back