• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon 8x32 HG L –*broken rainguard (1 Viewer)

Dorian Gray

A few days ago the rainguard of my Nikon 8x32 HG L broke into two pieces, rendering it even more difficult to use than it was before. See attached photo.

The crack started at one end and quickly spread to failure over a few days of use.

I have a fractionally narrower than average interpupillary distance, which may have contributed to this.

What do you recommend for a replacement? Something a little quicker to fit would be nice.

Thanks!

Attachments

• Nikon_8x32_HG_L_broken_rainguard.JPG
    Nikon_8x32_HG_L_broken_rainguard.JPG
    382.4 KB · Views: 101
Thanks. That shape looks useful. However, the rubber eyepieces parts are about 40 mm in diameter at the top, tapering to 42 mm at the bottom (and about 22 mm tall, though that matters less). So that particular model will not fit.

I use this one on all my binoculars (including a 8x32 HGL) and operates without fuss. It's basically a cheaper and slightly lighter version of the classic Zeiss rainguard.

Hope this helps.

It is heavy enough to stay in place when over the oculars - again, a personal preference but I prefer for a rainguard to be a bit loose as I don't want to waste that split second (or longer) fighting to release it from the bins, by which time the bird could have moved on.

Hi,

I agree slightly loose is best as it can be flicked off with the fingers when bringing the glass to eye level...

Joachim

A few days ago the rainguard of my Nikon 8x32 HG L broke into two pieces, rendering it even more difficult to use than it was before. See attached photo.

What do you recommend for a replacement? Something a little quicker to fit would be nice.

Thanks!

Hi Mr Gray

You have a Nikon rainguard not specifically designed for the HG L there that has split.

I would recommend the Nikon rainguard designed for the HG L which slips on and off easily. Having said that mine eventually broke after about 6-7 years but I just replaced it with the same.

Attachments

• raing.jpg
    raing.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 54
Are you sure? I bought the binocular new from a reputable shop several years ago. I note my model is the HG L and your photograph shows the HG (non-L). Or perhaps Nikon changed the rainguard during the production run.

I didn’t find the Nikon rainguard for sale. Maybe I should see if Nikon can sell me one directly. I never particularly liked it, though.

Yes I'm sure. The HG L rain guard is much better than the one you had. My wife has a Nikon Prostaff binocular with a similar rain guard to yours and I'm not a fan either. Yes go to Nikon direct to get one.

Attachments

• hgl.jpg
    hgl.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 46
I would check with Nikon service, they may send you a new one, free of charge. Nikon has made
many types of these, the LXL original one is more of a hard plastic, they also have some other types
more flexible rubber.

Let us know how Nikon service treats you. I have purchased Nikon rain guards from them before, very
reasonable, around $5.00.
Good luck.

Jerry

Dipped,

Nice to see someone still has the original HG/LX 8X32, I still have mine, and it does get used.

Andy W.

Hi Andy

Oh yes, it's still a fine instrument. Though I've looked through all the current top of the ranges I've never seen a reason to change apart from when people say how much more detail they can see with Image Stabilised binoculars. I'd never get rid of it though.

I would check with Nikon service, they may send you a new one, free of charge. Nikon has made
many types of these, the LXL original one is more of a hard plastic, they also have some other types
more flexible rubber.

Let us know how Nikon service treats you. I have purchased Nikon rain guards from them before, very
reasonable, around $5.00.
Good luck.

Jerry

Jerry and all:

FYI. I have 2 slightly different types of Nikon Rainguards on my Nikon 8x32 and 10x32 LXLs

The one on the 8x32 LXL is slightly smaller overall than the one on the 10x32 LXL. It has the letters EBM inside one of the eye guards. It is still in good shape.

The rainguard on my 10x32 LXL has the letters EAY inside one of the eye guards.

Overall it is slightly larger than the rainguard on the 8x32.

The loops that the straps go through on the 10x32 (EAY) are both torn and it is not usable.

The rain guard on the 8x32 with the letters EBM inside it looks like it is better constructed.

Hope this helps.

Bob

Last edited:
My broken rainguard has the letters EBM and >PE< inside the left guard (the right side when looking at the inside).

It is designed to allow one strap to slip in and out of the loop. I leave it permanently out. The other loop is closed for a secure fit to the strap, so that you have to unthread the strap to remove the rainguard completely.

FWIW under the left cup of the rain guard mine says EAP. Nikon will supply the correct rain guard for the model.

My wife's Prostaff has ECM >PE<.

Last edited:
I've been using a couple of those in the past, both for my bins (a Kowa 9x35 porro and a Swaro EL, early model), and for my old Kowa TSN-1 scope. They all worked very well, but to ensure watertightness, I put some shoe wax on them.

Regarding ep-cover for the HGL, I can highly recommend using Swarovski's 363-626 A for the SLC 8x30. I used it on my HGL 8x42, that I believe has the same eyepieces as the 8x32, and it was a perfect match. It fell into place automatically when I dropped the bin down, which is one of my demands for an ep-cover.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back