• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bushnell Elite ED 10x42 Review (1 Viewer)

I have the 8x32 HGs as well and while the focusing is super smooth and the binocular is heavier and more solid, I prefer the 10x42 ED Bushnells. They are lighter and seem to have a very slightly more open and very slightly brighter and sharper view. Not major differences at all, however. The Nikon is older optical technology. While I buy and sell a lot of binoculars, these two are both keepers. The price of the EDs makes them a real steal. Keep the Nikons and buy the 10x (not the 8x) EDs. The 8x EDs have a much too narrow a field of view.

Last edited:
I have the 8x32 HGs as well and while the focusing is super smooth and the binocular is heavier and more solid, I prefer the 10x42 ED Bushnells. They are lighter and seem to have a very slightly more open and very slightly brighter and sharper view. Not major differences at all, however. The Nikon is older optical technology. While I buy and sell a lot of binoculars, these two are both keepers. The price of the EDs makes them a real steal. Keep the Nikons and buy the 10x (not the 8x) EDs. The 8x EDs have a much too narrow a field of view.
Hi Kimball,
Many thanks for your reply; it's appreciated. I hear what you're saying about the 8x, but suspect there's a greater depth of field with my Nikons than the 10x Bushnells? And do like the 'all in focus' view. Would also appreciate your comment on this aspect.
Cheers
Max

One of the reasons I so much like the 10x42 ED is that they are so fast to find pin point optical focus. Much faster than the Swarovski 10x42 WB or the Nikon 8x32 HG. That fact, to my mind, more than makes up for the lesser depth of field of the 10x42 ED, to say nothing of the added power and clarity which lets you seem to see more. I have individual focus Fujinons (7x50, 10x70 and 16x70, all FMT-SXs) and they all have horrendous depth of field, but I always know, for any focus position, at what distance their focus is optimal. The 10x42 ED makes that clear.

One of the reasons I so much like the 10x42 ED is that they are so fast to find pin point optical focus. Much faster than the Swarovski 10x42 WB or the Nikon 8x32 HG. That fact, to my mind, more than makes up for the lesser depth of field of the 10x42 ED, to say nothing of the added power and clarity which lets you seem to see more. I have individual focus Fujinons (7x50, 10x70 and 16x70, all FMT-SXs) and they all have horrendous depth of field, but I always know, for any focus position, at what distance their focus is optimal. The 10x42 ED makes that clear.
Appreciate that Kimball - thanks!
Max

Perhaps someone can clear up the confusion on these bins. I see Bushnells site calls them Elite ED model# 620142ED. However several web retailers advertise Elite e2 ED model# 620142ED. SO is there a difference, or are the current models not e2's? Are the models # the best way to identify these bins? Optics Planet is one of the retailers.

Perhaps someone can clear up the confusion on these bins. I see Bushnells site calls them Elite ED model# 620142ED. However several web retailers advertise Elite e2 ED model# 620142ED. SO is there a difference, or are the current models not e2's? Are the models # the best way to identify these bins? Optics Planet is one of the retailers.

Looks as though the Elite E2 10x42 has number 620142 and the Elite ED 620142ED. I think Elite E2 ED may be a misnomer; should be either E2 or ED not both. The E2 is the now discontinued (and not so well received here) model while the ED is the well regarded current one.

That's my understanding anyways.

Thanks Norm, I will contact Bushnell Monday morning and get this cleared up. I contacted Optics Planet, they related the model# bin-620142ED was infact what they are selling for $479 with $30 off =$449. That would be a fair price if its the correct model.

On the topic of the Elite, I know of a little naturalist shop nearby that stocks lots of binocs, and even carries a few Swarovskis. The shop owner, an actual ornithologist, told me a few years ago that the Bushnell Elites were his favorite and what he personally used, especially given the huge price difference between it and the Swaros.

Too bad B&L don't "make 'em like they used to"!

A co-worker has an old pair of B&L military binocs (US Navy, I believe). The case is well worn, the body of the binocs is well used, but the optics are UNBELIEVABLE. I have tried several times to buy them and he doesn't budge from "No." :-C

Well, I don't know if the EDs are made like they used to, but the optics of my 10x42 definitely compares very well to the alphas. Very very sharp and free of CA. A huge bargain!

Elite ED's?

Spoke with Bushnell customer service this morning, They related Elite 10x42 ED model 620142ED upc# 029757620156 are the current bins regardless of what some dealers are mistakenly calling Elite e2 ED's. The E2's model# was 620142 upc#029757620149. Maybe this will help clear up the confusion. Midway USA still shows the old E2 model and they look different.

Last edited:
Got my hands on a pair of 10x42's. No testing done bit appeared to be nice bins. Maybe a little fuzz on the edge, but not much. Very bright clear optics, biggest down side I found were the eye cups retracted with very little pressure during normal use, kind of distracting. An intersting point is they have assembled in USA on the bins, the brochure says assembled in USA with foreign components. This was a 2012 Elite ED model.

Well ... a narrower FOV on paper I suppose. I have been "playing with the Elite ED 8x42 for a few days and the FOV has not been a concern. They have a very flat field edge to edge which I suspect compensates for a lot. In short, the optical quality kind of blew me away in the store when I compared them to just about every other 8x42. I even compared them directly to a pair of Leica Ultravid HD's. The Leicas edged them out, but barely so. So yes, the FOV is less than average on paper but in real world viewing I was never once struck with the thought that, "hey, this FOV is too narrow". Not at all. This bino has to be the big "sleeper" buy out there, unless of course, one is overly hung up on spec sheets.

I once had an "original" open-bridge Elite that I should never have sold.
Overstock.com has a very few of these new Elite EDs on sale right now for $449. Coupled with Bushnell's current ('till the end of the year) rebate program offering $75 and .the final cost will be just $374. So I've ordered a replacement. I just hope my wife doesn't kill me when she finds out...

Binoculars arrived today and so far I'm really pleased. They'll get a thorough workout this weekend but, first impressions suggest they are even better than my old split-bridge model.

Just spent a day with10x42 ED Elites

I spent the day decerning these 10x42 Bushnell Elite ED's to my Nikon 8x32 SE's. For the price ,these Bushnells are truly excellent or for that fact ,regardless of price they are excellent. They were as bright as my SE's and about as sharp.The only things I disliked were the focus wheel was stiff and HAD A WEE BIT OF play in it.
They would not replace my SE's because I have gotten use to there lightweight and compact design.I like the ergs of the SE because the wide stance of them make em easier for me to steady.I would love to try a pair of the 10x42 Nikon SE's and compare the Bushies to them.
To me, the strap was a tad too long causing the bino to swing when walking.

I once had an "original" open-bridge Elite that I should never have sold.
Overstock.com has a very few of these new Elite EDs on sale right now for $449. Coupled with Bushnell's current ('till the end of the year) rebate program offering $75 and .the final cost will be just $374. So I've ordered a replacement. I just hope my wife doesn't kill me when she finds out...
Have them delivered at your work. She will never know.

I spent the day decerning these 10x42 Bushnell Elite ED's to my Nikon 8x32 SE's. For the price ,these Bushnells are truly excellent or for that fact ,regardless of price they are excellent. They were as bright as my SE's and about as sharp.The only things I disliked were the focus wheel was stiff and HAD A WEE BIT OF play in it.
They would not replace my SE's because I have gotten use to there lightweight and compact design.I like the ergs of the SE because the wide stance of them make em easier for me to steady.I would love to try a pair of the 10x42 Nikon SE's and compare the Bushies to them.
To me, the strap was a tad too long causing the bino to swing when walking.
Cut it shorter.

I purchased the Bushnell Elite ED 10x42 last week on eBay. Used, yet looks brand new. Have never held one before and have to agree that these are very impressive! I wear eye glasses and the relief is very good. The image quality is excellent and the edge sharpness appears to be farther out than what I expected from reviews of this model. It appears to begin around 10-15% from the edge or less. The build quality is excellent as well.

The FOV is 315ft which seems very narrow on paper yet with this 10x42 model its seem narrow at all.

I am not sure Bushnell plans to continue making this model yet its out there still and is worth considering if you are looking for 10x.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back