• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

4th Generation EL (1 Viewer)

JG,

I like your term "hyperbolic" lens treatment. Ruby coating with its purported advantages comes foremost to mind, but the various "Swaro-" prefixed terms are not far behind.

Kimmo

Kimmo, I await the first the first brand to adopt 'truth in advertising' (like that old old Dudley Moore film - CRAZY PEOPLE :) and just come out and point blank say they have "Hyperbolic Lenses & Coatings" ! :-O ...... though they would have some way to go to outdo Zeiss and Leica in the 'hyperbola' (lens + advertising) count ! @_@ ;)

Chosun :gh:

JG, I'm pretty sure you're referring to "hydrophobic" lens treatments ! :brains:
Bushnell call theirs "RainguardHD" http://www.bushnell.com/rainguard
..... and as James said it was probably developed by an OEM (perhaps in concert with a chemicals company - Du Pont ?) - everybody has a version of it, so it is likely that the only thing that Bushnell "patented" (like everybody else) is the 'name' itself ! :smoke:
http://www.crsurfacing.com.au/coatings-1/
https://patents.google.com/patent/US20100035069

Chosun :gh:

I don't know who invented hydrophobic lens treatments, but I take jgraider's point. The fact is, Bushnell introduced it on Bushnell (and B&L labeled) bins many years (like 10+ years) before any other company made it available on theirs. So I think Bushnell deserves credit for introducing it to the market. Zeiss was first with it among the alpha brands, then Swarovski and Leica.

--AP

Last edited:
Given the release cycle of previous EL generations, is there expected to be a new EL generation next year, to follow the initial 10 year cycle, or is that not how Swarovski normally does things?

1999: 1st generation EL
2009: 2nd generation EL
2015: 3rd generation EL
2019: 4th generation EL ???

Given the release cycle of previous EL generations, is there expected to be a new EL generation next year, to follow the initial 10 year cycle, or is that not how Swarovski normally does things?

1999: 1st generation EL
2009: 2nd generation EL
2015: 3rd generation EL
2019: 4th generation EL ???

2025 then

... As for the range, do people use the range finding when birding?

I think the OP was referring to the EL generation rather than the EL Range (signifying rangefinder models) of which there are only two, 8x42 and 10x42.

My understanding about the origins of hydrophobic coatings is that Zeiss Vision (spectacles) invented it but Zeiss Sports Optics (binos and scopes) was slow in realising the potential application to binos and Bushnell got there first and patented the application of this kind of coating as applied to binos.

If anyone has any different info it would be good to see it.

Lee

Last edited:
I know the 4th generation was being worked on last year ..
I doubt it will be released this year....
My bets on a release of the 42mm model at Birdfair in 2019....

Cheers Tim

El 4th edition

Of course the EL is already a great bin , on the optics side for sure
What I would appreciate is a higher FOV and a better more fluid and larger focus drive

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back