• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Looking for help to choose the best landscape and birdwatching binoculars (1 Viewer)

Martin Winters

Dear Forum,

I'm off trekking to central Switzerland in a couple of weeks and looking to buy a solid pair of waterproof binoculars that will work well in landscape environments and also relatively close up to 100m.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

p.s. Having scouted through google I've seen some good ones from The RSPB, the Nikon Monarch 5 and 7, Bushnell Falcon & Legend and the Olympus Trooper. There's a photo on my profile of the type of landscape I am referring to.

Best Regards, Martin.

Hi Martin and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

I've moved your post to the Binocular forum, as I think you're more likely to get the responses you require there. I also subscribed you to the thread so you will be able to find it easily; you will receive an email with any responses. You can unsubscribe from it very easily.

Meantime I hope you enjoy your time here with us.

Hi Lee, Crikey, anything up to £400.00 should do it.

Not considering the very expensive ones in case of damage due to long trekking.

Best Regards, Martin.

Hi Martin, Opticron are worth a look as they make some good all rounders. They have a good website, but do have an extensive range, so it can get a bit confusing at times.

Hawke are also worth a look - they punch above their weight price wise and have a pleasing feel "in the hands".

Please do remember to "try before you buy" because although price is a good guide different bins suit different folks.

If you don't mind spending a little coin but not to the 4 figure degree, check out Nikon Monarch 7 10x42, Zeiss Terra ED 10x42 and Vortex Viper HD 10x42. Those get my vote for best bang for the buck in the higher mid school of binos for your intended use.

Last edited:
Hi Martin,

first of all, welcome to BF!

While I am a proponent of not taking alpha glass on some travels for various reasons, trekking in Switzerland would be a location where I would gladly take the teutonic trinity (and maybe an expensive watch too, preferably swiss ;-)

But of course 400 quid is a budget where sth reasonable can be found - since you are going to lug the bins around I would probably aim for a pair of 8x30 or so. 8 times since 10x bins can be difficult to hold steady for some - more so if you're still catching your breath from ascending a few hundred meters.

One important question is whether you're going to wear glasses while using the bins - some are less suited for that due to not enough eye relief. Usually 18mm or more is ok, some people can get away with 15mm - depending on prescription and frame model.

Regarding close focus - this is limited in conventional bins due to the distance of the objective lenses from each other to 1.5m or thereabouts. Some pairs can focus closer (like my Pentax 8x32 ED which reaches focus for me at 1m) but only one barrel can be used - with both eyes open the images will not merge.

There is one model of pocket bins from Pentax/Ricoh, the Papiilio II in either 6.5x21 or 8.5x21, which uses a reverse porro configuration paired with some clever mechanics which moves the objectives closer together for close up views to reach a binocular close focus of about 50cm. It is also small and light, and works ok for distant stuff. Since it is also a pair of (slightly oversized) pocket bins, the field of view is not very wide and the eye relief is 15mm only (so marginal with glasses).

But still, if watching bugs or flowers up close is the main use, it might be a good travel companion - it's also fairly inexpensive. I like the 6.5x21 version better (I had both side by side at some point, gave both away and now have the 6.5x version again) - less narrow field of view and the exit pupil is not so tiny, which makes it brighter and the eye placement is less finicky.

Otherwise a good midrange pair of 8x30 or so will be fine - the Nikon M7 or it's Kamakura brethren from Maven or Kite are well inside your budget and good value for the money, if you manage to find a discontinued pair of Pentax 8x32 ED for cheap (mine was 218 euro for an open box display unit of a discontinued 1000€ pair of bins - I like them a lot as a backup/loaner pair - nice view, rugged and waterproof and ok ER), that would be a steal and of course Opticron has so many nice bins which unfortunately are nowhere to be tried on the continent, so I don't know a lot about them.

Or you could try to find some used bins from the 1000 euro and up range inside your budget - Leica 8x32 BA/BN, Zeiss Conquest 8x32 (not the old 8x30!), Meopta B1 8x32, Nikon HG-L or (with luck) even EDG in 8x32 come to mind...

Joachim

Last edited:
Martin
Take a close look at Opticron Traveller 8x32 for around £300. Its a cousin of the Nikon, has a great field of view for those alpine vistas, and is light and compact.

Lee

Hi Joachim,

But of course 400 quid is a budget where sth reasonable can be found - since you are going to lug the bins around I would probably aim for a pair of 8x30 or so. 8 times since 10x bins can be difficult to hold steady for some - more so if you're still catching your breath from ascending a few hundred meters.

I'll second that ... for enjoying the landscape, a smaller magnification is an advantage, in my opinion. As that usually means you can use lighter binoculars, that would probably go hand in hand with a second advantage.

(For hiking in the Alps, my brother is quite enthusiastic about the Nikon Monarch 5 7x35, but it seems Nikon no longer sells these.)

What I'm wondering about ... are there small Porro prism glasses around that would be good for this application, if one accepts that they're not as compact as their roof prism counterparts?

Regards,

Henning

Hi again,

(For hiking in the Alps, my brother is quite enthusiastic about the Nikon Monarch 5 7x35, but it seems Nikon no longer sells these.)

Maybe I'm misremembering things - I'll cross-check with him. In any case, these are Nikon roof-prism binoculars that look just like the Monarch 5 8x42 I have, but are actually slightly smaller.

Regards,

Henning

In any case, these are Nikon roof-prism binoculars that look just like the Monarch 5 8x42 I have, but are actually slightly smaller.

They are Monarch 3 8x36, actually.

For comparison (all data from Nikon):

Monarch 3 8x36: 570 g - field of view 122 m/1000 m
Monarch 5 8x42: 590 g - field of view 110 m/1000 m
Monarch 7 8x30: 435 g - field of view 145 m/1000 m

Regards,

Henning

What I'm wondering about ... are there small Porro prism glasses around that would be good for this application, if one accepts that they're not as compact as their roof prism counterparts?

Hi Henning,

I would probably take my pair of E2 8x30 and a plastic bag to wrap 'em in if it rains. But that's not exactly waterproof bins ;-)

And of course I don't wear glasses, so 13mm ER are no problem. Budget of 400 quid might be a problem unless you order directly from Japan and are lucky with customs...

The waterproof box can be ticked by a pair of Habichts in 8x30, but I have tried them, seen the glare and that's been it for me. Some like 'em. ER is also unacceptable with glasses and they're even more expensive than the E2.

But since the o.p. asked for waterproof and 400 quid plus we don't know if he wears glasses, I didn't mention them...

Joachim

Hi Joachim,

But since the o.p. asked for waterproof and 400 quid plus we don't know if he wears glasses, I didn't mention them...

Ah, thanks - not being familiar with Porros, I had forgotten about that disadvantage. Makes perfect sense now! :)

Regards,

Henning

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back